• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving Apps from internal to external storage

MartyDC

Jul 26, 2019
I would like to move a large game app (Marvel Future Fight) to my external SD card. This particular game installs itself in a way that makes it invisible to normal file managers.

Every "file manager" I download only lets you move a specific file or folder. Hasn't anyone created a file manager that recognizes apps and lets you move the entire app?

Reactions: Sagar Shah
Would you not just go into settings/apps/marvel future fight - and see if there was a "move to sd" card option there? I've never moved an app to my sd card via a file browser. Not saying you can't, but root would be required and it might well bork on startup if not moved correctly.

Alternatively there are apps on the playstore that might help force a move to sd card.

Upvote 0
I would like to move a large game app (Marvel Future Fight) to my external SD card. This particular game installs itself in a way that makes it invisible to normal file managers.

Every "file manager" I download only lets you move a specific file or folder. Hasn't anyone created a file manager that recognizes apps and lets you move the entire app?
most applications including games don't have just one file. they have many files and using a file manager to move things like that will not work. file managers are mainly used to move things like documents, photos, videos, and such. if you want to move an app you have to do it thru the phone's settings. also keep in mind that not all apps can be moved entirely onto your sd card. on certain apps, only part of the app is on the card.

and lastly if a game is on the card and it is reading and writing to and from the card, it will wear out the card.....so be careful.

Reactions: MrJavi and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Would you not just go into settings/apps/marvel future fight - and see if there was a "move to sd" card option there? I've never moved an app to my sd card via a file browser. Not saying you can't, but root would be required and it might well break on startup if not moved correctly.

Alternatively there are apps on the playstore that might help force a move to sd card.
Thanks Jay. No, the game has no setting for moving.
I didn't get the question actually. Most phones come with huge storage spaces. So, a single game can be easily run on a device.

You are correct. Phones these days have lots of G's. Unfortunately, I'm playing on an ASUS 10" tablet wtih 16G of internal storage, 6 of which is used by the operating system, leaving 10G. With no music, podcasts or pictures, I've still managed to use up the entire 10G.

Reactions: Sagar Shah
Upvote 0
Some apps can be installed on either your internal storage or external storage.
But not all of them.
It's up to the developer of the app, not by just moving files over.
Interesting. My main game is Real Racing 3. The developers have dealt with it's large size in a clever way. When you first "install" it, it's really only a shell. Each time you open a new level, it downloads more code. When it sensed that my internal storage was used up, it switched over to storing code on the external SD card. I now have half the game's code stored internally and half the code on the external card.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Screenshot_2019-07-28-20-46-18.png

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm running 7.0
How to Move Apps to an SD Card on Android 7.0 Nougat

1. Go to Settings > Apps.
  2. Locate the app you want to move to your microSD Card and tap on it.
  3. Go to Storage > Change and choose your card from the prompt box that opens.
  4. Tap Move to complete the process.

Depending on the size of the app, it may take a few moments to complete (especially in the case of large games), so don’t touch your phone until it’s done. To move the app back, repeat the steps and choose Internal shared storage in Step 3.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
If I go to my settings/storage screen, it calls the SD card "portable storage". I CAN move files/folders to it using the ASUS file manager. I just can't do it the way Danny can. As others have pointed out, Android "file manager" apps are designed for moving pictures, documents & audio files. They don't have the "intelligence" to move an app.

Upvote 0
Wanted to add this response that I received from ASUS tech support:

"Since Android 5(Lollipop) Google removed/disabled the feature that allows applications to be stored on an external source(SD card). However, some manufacturers have designed their own firmware to restore this feature. ASUS devices do not have the feature so you are only able to store files such as; Music,Pictures,Video etc on your SD card."

Mystery solved.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There is a file manager named x-plore that is very feature rich and will show hidden files, but I wouldn't recommend moving apps with it. In the worst case scenario, if you're feeling ballsy, copy the file(s) to the SD card and re-name the original folder. Usually if I'm testing stuff out, I just add a few caps at the end of the name so there's no mistaking what it was when I have to change it back. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0
Try installing the same version of "a better camera" in the screenshot posted by Dannydet. His screenshot has the option to move to external sd. After installing the app check your setting to see if the option is provided to move tm"a better camer" to external sd. Sometimes, it helps to eliminate variables to better access the situation. Just a thought
If your device prevents that as an option then the only possible way would be to root and force app to sd. However, rooting is not something to take lightly and there is a possibility of permanent hard bricking the device. I provide an example of the power of root and a pre-installed system app I foced to sd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-01-07-01-53.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-01-07-01-53.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_2020-01-01-07-02-02.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-01-07-02-02.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones