• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving apps to new phone

Ellary Kahan

Sep 30, 2017
I am upgrading from a Galaxy S5 to an S7. I have many apps installed on the SD card. Will the new phone recognize the apps on the SD card when I move it to the S7 or do I have to reinstall them? My concern is losing data stored by the apps. I have one app in particular that is no longer available in the Play Store and it would be nice to be able to keep it on the new phone.

U can try using smart switch, it's an app that moves your apps and data between Samsung phones.

Just moving the sd card from one phone to the other will not automatically transfer your apps, you would have to download them again from play store or using their apk. Some apps won't just let you easily transfer the data back after installing.

Reactions: Hadron and mikedt
Upvote 0
Smart Switch should be able to transfer all apps and data to the new Samsung.

I am upgrading from a Galaxy S5 to an S7. I have many apps installed on the SD card. Will the new phone recognize the apps on the SD card when I move it to the S7 or do I have to reinstall them? My concern is losing data stored by the apps. I have one app in particular that is no longer available in the Play Store and it would be nice to be able to keep it on the new phone.

If the app was removed from Play because it's unsupported, discontinued, and doesn't work on the new phone with newer Android version, there's probably not a lot can be done about that. You'll need to find another equivalent app to replace it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones