• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving the top section (Android Community - Lounge etc) to near-bottom of front page.

To be honest, I don't like it at all.

Scrolling down the whole phones and tablets list is a pain. Adding all the "Android Community" forums to my favorites would also screw up my system, since the threads with new posts would show up where it says "X unread posts since your last visit".

No other choice but to scroll down every time I get on the main page.
Makes me sad not owning an Android Tablet, got a point there, having to scroll through all of that.

They look fine where they are though, just sucks having to scroll threw them full of envy.

Upvote 0
I was wonder if it would be possible to implement a feature where forum sections could be re-arranged. This would solve that issue for everyone, I think.

I know some sites have this feature, but I'm not sure how they do it. And I'm not sure how easy it would be add to the current site... and if it would be worth it in the long run (customization vs. time/effort)... ?

I'm finding that the community section isn't bugging me too much any more (being at the bottom that is.. )

Upvote 0
About the intro forum... I think having the Android Lounge (aka "a place for general Android discussion and questions") on the top of the page is even worse for newbies to post their stuff at the right place.

Just saying. ;)
I stated that and its said that the Mods will be able to take care of it, but me thinks it could still be more easier to use with the Off-topic and Community in the top, as that's where most people will begin the forum search.

Reactions: DaSchmarotzer
Upvote 0
As per a pretty fair suggestion by NightAngel79 - we've decided to see what sort of reaction we get by moving the top section down to the bottom of the page.

After all, we are an Android site - so it would make sense to show users Android related forums as they discover us, not off-topic "last post" threads, etc.

So, after a week, what decision have you come to? Is there a poll somewhere that I missed?

Upvote 0
I still go with this option as the best for our new members to get full exposure and see the ANDROID phone forums. I agree with ALP that the Dev section should go under the Android Community section and the Intro go at the top.

I subscribe to the Lounge Forums and I access it via userCP.

Most members that post in the Lounge are regular members and know where it is. Sorry to say, but I don't think the Lounge and co. should be the main focus on AndroidForum as it was before.

Most of us don't like it because we use the Lounge extensively and it's an inconvenient to us. There are ways to utilize the forum that already makes it easier to view any forums via subscription through userCP or making the forum your favourte.

We really need feedbacks from the newer members tbh.

Upvote 0
Even though it does make sense, I sorta kinda hate it.

The norm on most forums is to have the introductions at the top, it's just what makes the most sense since it's where new users should post. (I know they get a special link to it, but it's also good for everyone to see the introductions and maybe help greet newcomers. ;))

Also, the lounge is common to all people and help unite users (or not, if we're talking about Politics and current affairs :p). The phone forums, tablets, etc, are huge sections and I check only two of those forums daily. Which is probably one more than most people.

About using the favorites bar, I do use it already. The problem with it is that I don't want to subscribe to every forum I visit, since there would be too many unread posts (right above the favorites: "X unread posts").

I think most power users don't like the new layout and that newcomers won't care about it. They simply won't visit the Lounge as often, just like how the suggestions forum was/is kind of unknown.

My humble opinion. ;)

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I like having the android discussion forums at top for sure, just agree with others about putting intros in there and maybe re-arranging dev/theme/rom so it fits in there. I dont mind the regular off topic lounge stuff being lower down at all -- but anything below the phone forums definitely suffers a bit of traffic loss -- I'm not sure how significant, but that's for phases and co to decide ofc :) since they can see those numbers.

Basically moving something lower can be a small change but moving anything below phones/devices is big change (imho)

This can be good or bad, but it has a large effect for sure. Also I dont know how much we're trying to drive people TOO the phone forums, obviously that's important too.

This "wishy-washy-on-the-fence" post brought to you by the letts A, L and P. And the number 8.

cookiemonsterj.jpg

Upvote 0
This hasn't been voted or something yet?

Just wanted to add that there's a lot of talk about Phones themselves instead of Android happening in the Android Lounge, something that really does seem out of place.

If you feel that a thread does not belong in a certain Forum, please report it and a Moderator will move the thread to its appropriate location :)

Upvote 0
This site is growing at a huge pace, and these growing pains with tons of forums are normal.

I frequent a site called FlyerTalk.com, the largest online community for travelers. They have a pretty good model of how to handle a huge community of sub-forums in a logical manner.

But I really love how this site has grown, and changed over the last two years. I think you guys have done a tremendous job so far.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
imo, I would consider looking at arranging further still the following forums:

Move these 2 forum headers:

Android Phones
Android Tablets & MIDs

to just above:

What's Going On?

As most forums in those cats should be in users favourite forums feature (if they use it and they should ofc), and then again most users will only be looking for their one forum in that cat, maybe 2 but not many more, so all those forums will be bypassed to get to just one yes?

This then makes scrolling down to other useful general forums much more eye pleasing, easy and you get to see what other forums are around too, win-win for sure.

Upvote 0
I just necro-bumped this nearly 3-year old thread because I don't like the current placement of the Android Forums Community section. You have to scroll all the way though the phones forums to the bottom in order to find the section, which adds tedium. I'm sure you've noticed traffic in the Lounge is slowing down. Good thing I know how to use the Favorites Bar.

Upvote 0
Actually I was wondering about the Introductions forum. The Lounge is mostly populated by regulars, who at least will know it exists, but Intros is intended for newcomers, so putting it at the bottom seems self-defeating.

This is currently in discussion among staff :)

Your worries are not falling on deaf ears!

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
This was a Rob call and, I see both sides.

Fortunately, we're not terribly far off a launch of a new fun site that will have all these woes resolved ;)

One thing to remember though - we're all creatures of habit, and we as members are used to it being where it is. More of an adjustment for us than anything.. while we experiment with SEO and guest-retention by putting the most important and relevant content up top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones