• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Bionic is Super Very slow and lagging even after rebooting!

xguy

Android Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2010
I've been away from the forum for a while and see the format has changed since there wasn't a category for my old Bionic. Anyway I Need help!

I never remember this phone being so slow. I don't have many apps but it's super slow and freezing. If it were a pc I'd think I had a virus. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

It almost always caused by a contained cache part ion where temporary data is stored.

To clear it (and not touch any permanent data, settings, or apps) ...

Step 1: power your bionic down
Step 2: hold volume up, down, and power simultaneously
Step 3: use the volume down to navigate to "recovery," use volume up to select
Step 4: you will get a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point, next to an Android. Press volume up and down simultaneously
Step 5: use the volume rocker to navigate to "wipe cache" and use the power button to select.
Step 6: after it has finished, use the volume rocker to navigate to "reboot system now" and use the power button to select.

(I wipe cache part ion on my Turbo every Saturday.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
It almost always caused by a contained cache part ion where temporary data is stored.

To clear it (and not touch any permanent data, settings, or apps) ...

Step 1: power your bionic down
Step 2: hold volume up, down, and power simultaneously
Step 3: use the volume down to navigate to "recovery," use volume up to select
Step 4: you will get a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point, next to an Android. Press volume up and down simultaneously
Step 5: use the volume rocker to navigate to "wipe cache" and use the power button to select.
Step 6: after it has finished, use the volume rocker to navigate to "reboot system now" and use the power button to select.

(I wipe cache part ion on my Turbo every Saturday.)

... Thom
Thanks Thom, just did it and will see. Is there anyway to stop that annoying, awful cash register Ka ching sound on startup? Driving me nuttier than I already am! Lol. Aslo, How do I stop these automatic updates? I would like to be able to pick and choose. Again, thanks.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks Thom for the GR8 answers, I believe there must not be many of us with these old timey Bionics but I love mine and Hate the $700 ones!!! Lol

OK couple more questions, How Can I stop the annoying "waiting for wifi" triangle sign? And lastly, what I can do to improve battery life? I have an extended battery don't use it much, and have to charge it most nights! As I said, I just have a few apps and wonder how to uninstall preinstalled apps like Google Play books, Google play movies, newsstand, play servies, google+, go to meeting, zummo cast, Amazon and other stupid stuff! Thing is I don't know if I need all this crap and when i go to uninstall it says ' phone may not operate properly' or similar

Thanks and hope you have a great day! :)

Upvote 0
My Droid Bionic is decommissioned. I sold my Droid X to Verizon when I got the Droid Turbo. They gave me $100 for it.

I don't know what the waiting for WiFi X is referring to.

Battery life ...
  • The weekly wipe cache partition will probably improve your battery life. How much varies. Check it out.
  • Charging every night seems about right to me. My Bionic when it was in use would need to be recharged after 7 hours.
  • Batteries do age. If the time it holds the charger gets shorter and shorter it is time to replace the battery.

... Thom

Reactions: xguy and doogald
Upvote 0
There is actually a triangle on the top that says "waiting to connect to Wi Fi". It's been so long since I used it I forgot if the battery life is normal! I did buy and extended life Motorola battery. I guess I got an antique since there's no category for it! Lol

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
I just installed Ahnlab anti-virus. It flagged two different "superuser" apps which are used to check superuser status. I only remember installing one. I let it remove both. My phone got a LOT faster after that. It's night and day.

A little googling suggests that the malware wasn't originally there but was added in an update.

I need to do some more googling. I'm wondering WTF it was doing and why wasn't it showing up in my list of running apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones