• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My cellphone randomly crashes

BloodBlade

May 2, 2012
Hi guys

I installed the CTMod 3.75.2 Final shortly after it was released. I'm not 100% sure it's cause of this rom but my problem started shortly after I got this rom. It goes black, I feel it vibrate twice and then i try to press the buttons to get it back to boot up and it doesnt do anything to boot it vibrates a few more times until a couple seconds later and then there's a red x near the right hand corner. Then the media scanner reboots and then I can log in again. I originally thought it was cause of my Slacker Radio app cause it would happen a lot when after i reboot and play a song or two it would crash. but after crashing i would open it up again and it would play fine. But now im pretty sure that app isn't the cause since this crash happens when i do other random stuff too. Perhaps i screwed up something when i was installing CTMod 3.75.2 Final? I remember using the "Rooting the Prevail for Dummies!" guide but doing it from scratch. i already had a previous version of CTMod installed is what i mean. maybe thats what i messed up. can anyone please help? this crashing is really annoying. im not sure if i permanently damaged my phone. :(

I believe you posted your "slacker Problem" before and got some answers already ! Your problem might be the cause of one or two or even three apps together not working together !!

Re-flash CTMod3.75.2....... then install your most used apps, one every two days ( don't use a backup to restore them or you might restore the problem too ), this way you will see, when the phone crashes and know what app is causing the trouble. There is NO other way to find out........... CTMod3.75.2 Final runs great and perfect on many, many Prevail's, so the problem you have MUST be caused by some apps !

Good luck !

Upvote 0
I believe you posted your "slacker Problem" before and got some answers already ! Your problem might be the cause of one or two or even three apps together not working together !!

Re-flash CTMod3.75.2....... then install your most used apps, one every two days ( don't use a backup to restore them or you might restore the problem too ), this way you will see, when the phone crashes and know what app is causing the trouble. There is NO other way to find out........... CTMod3.75.2 Final runs great and perfect on many, many Prevail's, so the problem you have MUST be caused by some apps !

Good luck !

Sorry. I thought a post in the main section of the forum would allow more people to see it and therefore help me moreso. I was desperate for a concrete solution. So my apologies vce.
One question. Can you or someone reading point me to where I can find out how to properly reflash ctmod 3.75.2? In steps I mean. Cause I don't want to do it half assed like last time cause I wasnt sure what I was doing. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
1. Download CTMod3.75.2.zip and copy it to your sd-card
2. Turn off your phone
3. Hold Vol+Power button till you see the Clockworkmod menu
4 Select "Install ZIP from SD-Card" ( use Vol up and down to navigate, camera button to select )
5. After flashing CTMod, select "Reboot System" ( might have to do the "Reboot System" twice, not sure why.....)
6. Boot the phone all the way up ( first boot could take 5 - 10 min )
7. Once up and running, go to "Settings>>>CTMod Settings>>>Kernel Settings and tick "DATA", then "Save Settings" ( when supersu ask, you need to grant permissions )
8. NOW, hold the power button down for a second or so, select reboot, then choose "Recovery" !!! Once back in recovery RE-FORMAT your sdext again ( not sd-card )
9. When format is complete, "reboot system"

Voila !

PS: You need to o to settings and sign in to your Google account first, otherwise PlayStore will not show !!

Reactions: BloodBlade
Upvote 0
Lmao. Looks good to me. I just wanted to make sure that you were sure. Thanks for the assurance because now I'm sure that you're sure. I'm sure he's sure since we're sure that it will surely work the way you said it will. :p:D:p:D

EDIT:

One thing I'm not sure about are those high heels you're talking about! :eek::eek:

Upvote 0
I'm not signed in, and it's showing :eek:
LG phones randomly like to do this too... hmmm
Must be a gapps thing :p

LG phone???? You're in the wrong section for CTMod. If you've got a LG Marquue, you need to be in that section. This is for the Samsung Prevail and the instructions he just gave you are for that phone.

Here's the link to the CTMOd LG Marquee section. It's installation and set-up is much easier.

http://androidforums.com/marquee-al...sprint-boost-ctmod-3-75-final-11-18-12-a.html

Upvote 0
LG phone???? You're in the wrong section for CTMod. If you've got a LG Marquue, you need to be in that section. This is for the Samsung Prevail and the instructions he just gave you are for that phone.

Here's the link to the CTMOd LG Marquee section. It's installation and set-up is much easier.

http://androidforums.com/marquee-al...sprint-boost-ctmod-3-75-final-11-18-12-a.html

Nah I was saying that the Play Store app showed in on this phone while not signed in.
It also does this on other LG phones as well, including the LG Optimus S/V/M :)

So I'm saying it seems like a gapps thing :p

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0

Good luck !

I'm having the same issues with my phone crashing randomly running half-ass rom and it's been going on for quite some time and I have re-flashed half-ass rom several times and still having problems.....but I use titanium backup to restore apps. I don't know if that may be the problem but I have read some on here that some people are saying not to restore apps with titanium backup because it can cause some instability with some apps and cause them to crash. Do you think that may be causing it? I was thinking the rom itself was unstable at first. But as far as reinstalling apps one by one.....I have a crap load of apps on my phone so it will take forever lol. There isn't a quicker way of trouble shooting that issue without installing them one at a time vce?

Upvote 0
If you are restoring apps and data with tit backup, that is DEFINITLY your problem. HAR is EXTREMELY stable. The only way to 'troubleshoot' it is to redo it without restoring anything. Personally I use 'root uninstaller' it doesn't batch restore anything. It simply backs the apps up in .apk form. You then 'restore' them the same way as you would sideload and app. By locating it with a file explorer and selecting the apk and then selecting install. You can't just go restoring the app's data when you switch ROMs. That's not what T.B. is even meant for.

Upvote 0
If you are restoring apps and data with tit backup, that is DEFINITLY your problem. HAR is EXTREMELY stable. The only way to 'troubleshoot' it is to redo it without restoring anything. Personally I use 'root uninstaller' it doesn't batch restore anything. It simply backs the apps up in .apk form. You then 'restore' them the same way as you would sideload and app. By locating it with a file explorer and selecting the apk and then selecting install. You can't just go restoring the app's data when you switch ROMs. That's not what T.B. is even meant for.

Ahh gotcha.....yeah I was restoring data also with T.B. Although I wasn't switching ROMs, I was just reflashing the same one to see if that would resolve the issue but thanks for the tip. Also....What about Super Backup? Is that a good backup program or no?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Ahh gotcha.....yeah I was restoring data also with T.B. Although I wasn't switching ROMs, I was just reflashing the same one to see if that would resolve the issue but thanks for the tip. Also....What about Super Backup? Is that a good backup program or no?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but the FIRST time you switched to that rom did you restore apps with T.B.? were those apps backed up from a different rom?

As for super backup, no idea. Root uninstaller is the only thing I use.

Upvote 0

Absolutely awesome reply Vince!!! I had no idea about that app, I've been looking for a way to get the apks of my apps so I don't have to consume time & data redownloading every single app from the store every time I try a new rom!!! Great advise man, I'm gonna get that app now!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones