• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My generic Smart TV won't install media players

pintree3

Oct 1, 2013
Canada
Sorry cannot find the right forum since it does not deal with any known brand of TV. I'm in China and the TV is Chinese with no name to speak of. I managed to install some apps on it but can't seem to install a video player. I tried VLC and KM player. both seem to succeed in going through the process (accept this and that) and the bar shows it's installing but at the end it says, "Did not install". Does anyone have any indications as to why? or how to go around this problem? ( BTW I have no stick or other gadget on my TV nor intend to get one.)
P.S. One reason I want to install a Media player is to be able to control hues, contrast etc of my movies (not tv or streaming movies) since my TV seems to only have default auto settings which are just about useless.

Sorry cannot find the right forum since it does not deal with any known brand of TV. I'm in China and the TV is Chinese with no name to speak of. I managed to install some apps on it but can't seem to install a video player. I tried VLC and KM player. both seem to succeed in going through the process (accept this and that) and the bar shows it's installing but at the end it says, "Did not install". Does anyone have any indications as to why? or how to go around this problem? ( BTW I have no stick or other gadget on my TV nor intend to get one.)
P.S. One reason I want to install a Media player is to be able to control hues, contrast etc of my movies (not tv or streaming movies) since my TV seems to only have default auto settings which are just about useless.

"Did not install" can mean the apps are incompatible with the whatever it is firmware this Chinese TV is using. Did you try installing the app APKs directly from the dev's websites? https://www.kmplayer.com/home https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html

You could try Kodi, that's what I use on a T95 Android box plugged into my Hisense TV, to play movies and TV shows. https://kodi.tv/download

EDIT:
You say "no stick or other gadget", but if your smart-TV isn't smart enough, or is incompatible with the apps you want. I do recommend the T95 Android box in China, which I bought from Taobao, and that already has Google Play and YouTube etc. pre-installed. Only thing I had to do was install my VPN and Kodi apps.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...YIaFK&id=587362944866&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

BTW I'm also in China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help. It is well appreciated. @Dennydet sorry but yes, media players do control hue, contrast etc. (VLC, GOG and others do). @ocnrze that may be true with most cases but not all. Remember that what is inside a Sony, Samsung etc are all parts made elsewhere (Aren't most screens made by Samsung)? @mikedt The reason why I did not buy a stick or other things (or why I bought a generic TV) is because I do not know how long I will stay here. No use spending money if I am going to leave after 6 months or a year and then have to give it away or sell for much cheaper. The T95 seems like a good idea if, and only if, the power is 120v-240v. I will look into it. (and if possible get an English remote ;-)
P.S. BTW my TV already has Chrome, YouTube, etc. but I do not use my TV for anything except view videos from a HD. I do not stream, do not use the browser etc. I may at some point perhaps stream sports matches; hockey, football (soccer), Olympics. Thanks again ye all :)

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help. It is well appreciated. @Dennydet sorry but yes, media players do control hue, contrast etc. (VLC, GOG and others do). @ocnrze that may be true with most cases but not all. Remember that what is inside a Sony, Samsung etc are all parts made elsewhere (Aren't most screens made by Samsung)? @mikedt The reason why I did not buy a stick or other things (or why I bought a generic TV) is because I do not know how long I will stay here. No use spending money if I am going to leave after 6 months or a year and then have to give it away or sell for much cheaper. The T95 seems like a good idea if, and only if, the power is 120v-240v. I will look into it. (and if possible get an English remote ;-)
P.S. BTW my TV already has Chrome, YouTube, etc. but I do not use my TV for anything except view videos from a HD. I do not stream, do not use the browser etc. I may at some point perhaps stream sports matches; hockey, football (soccer), Olympics. Thanks again ye all :)

Yeh, the T95 box comes with a universal voltage power brick. and it's all in English. Although there are couple of Chinese apps pre-installed, like CCTV's app, but those can be deleted. Once a reliable VPN(like Express or Astrill) is installed and connected, Google Play, YouTube etc. all work fine in China. The T95 box itself will work pretty much anywhere in the world, so you can take it with you when and if you leave China.

I use Kodi for playing videos from USB hard-drives via the T95 box, and that's got brightness, contrast, colour, and hue adjustments in it for videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones