• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Journey to get LG G Stylo GPS fix (in progress)

I almost wish I had a Stylo back on my line, I could get results much faster. I have to keep pressing my wife to use her GPS, and she usually feels like she's imposing if she complains about anything. I may just swap my ZMax for my daughter's Stylo. That way I can test the GPS and she can test the network connection issue on her line to confirm that it's MPCS. I'll keep you posted :)

@Bard I feel bad lol.... You've been through enough with warranty crap with this phone, just spreading the love. I'm still hoping my repair is something you'll consider doing, it's very easy :(

Upvote 0
Just got an update that LG is trying to get it repaired (for the 5th time) instead of refund.

This is just beyond stupid... LG customer service and warranty/repair/refund process is completely joke.

Any developments on getting it fixed? New to the Stylo but having the same issues. Frustrating as hell to have a new phone that doesn't perform in the ONE area I bought it for. My next step is sending it out, but I'm kinda disheartened seeing the process.

I've tried tightening the screws and cardstock under the antenna, seemed to help for a moment, but it was a short fix.

I was curious if it might just be the case on my phone? It's thin but I'm trying to troubleshoot as best I can.

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to figure out if it's either hardware, software or both. Currently I'm using my old MetroPCS Stylo which has had problems with GPS.

A week ago I flashed GameTheory's T-Mobile V10j firmware. My GPS has been locating me in a reasonable amount of time, but while in navigation, on the map, my position jumps around quite a bit. Not too far from actual position, and close enough to keep guidance going and avoid recalculation. Not perfect, but functional for now.

When the usual GPS signal lost, constant recalculating or taking a long time to find location problems come back I'll post it.

I still don't know what the real problem is, whether it's firmware, hardware, shoddy workmanship or what.

----- You mentioned it may be the case, like a protective case? That's one thing I never thought of trying. I use a Zizo Bolt case that's kinda thick. Thanks for the idea :)

Also, I've been looking into possibly running a wired remote GPS antenna from the board to outside the phone, maybe integrating it with my armor case somehow. The problem may actually be the factory sticky antenna on the inside case?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any developments on getting it fixed? New to the Stylo but having the same issues. Frustrating as hell to have a new phone that doesn't perform in the ONE area I bought it for. My next step is sending it out, but I'm kinda disheartened seeing the process.

I've tried tightening the screws and cardstock under the antenna, seemed to help for a moment, but it was a short fix.

I was curious if it might just be the case on my phone? It's thin but I'm trying to troubleshoot as best I can.

I am still hesitant to draw a conclusion but so far GPS seems to be working. I haven't tested over 1 hr drive (in summer weather) yet though.

At this point, you have to send it to LG to get it fixed. They may simply reset the software and send... so keep the envelope and case -_-;;; they use to ship it back to you lol.

If it gets send 3 times, it will be escalated.

Upvote 0
I am still hesitant to draw a conclusion but so far GPS seems to be working. I haven't tested over 1 hr drive (in summer weather) yet though.

At this point, you have to send it to LG to get it fixed. They may simply reset the software and send... so keep the envelope and case -_-;;; they use to ship it back to you lol.

If it gets send 3 times, it will be escalated.

You're still using the TMO 10j right? My GPS still seems a bit shaky with uh, not the perfect accuracy (blue circle) but it works consistently with almost no signal drops, and that's way better than before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones