• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new laptop...and how I borked it

Since I'm famous for always...ALWAYS...saying "oh, Linux always just works fine for me! I NEVER have any problems with Linux!", etc., I thought I'd post this very different experience. I borked my brand new laptop. :eek:

I received my beautiful new System76 Kudu Professional last Tuesday. It came pre-installed with Ubuntu 14.04--which means Unity as its DE. I knew before I ordered it that I would install Kubuntu ASAP because KDE is my preferred DE.

After a few minutes of poking around in Unity I set about installing Kubuntu. I used Synaptic to pick and choose which components I wanted. Not long afterward I was logging in with Kubuntu. Everything was fine.

Next came my normal habit of installing Samba. I stick with Samba because it's a holdover from when my mom's computer was still running windows. All my older computers use Samba, so I just keep slapping it on new computers to make my life simpler.

Once Samba was installed the other computers on my network could see the new computer but couldn't access it, and it wasn't seeing any of the other computers. I didn't feel like troubleshooting so I thought I'd just uninstall everything related to Samba and start over. That turned out to be a very bad decision.

Somewhere along the line something went horribly wrong. Once Synaptic was done uninstalling Samba...well, I had a totally borked system. I could no longer log in with KDE, and using Unity yielded a semi-functioning system. That had no wireless.

I quickly decided not to bother trying to fix it. I thought I'd just download Kubuntu 14.04 [on another computer] and install it--which would give me the chance to partition the drive the way I wanted it. (Its configuration when shipped didn't suit me--everything was on one partition.) No big deal, right? Wrong.

It didn't take long to realize that 14.04 wouldn't fit on a CD. And I didn't have any blank DVDs or USB sticks.

I ended up downloading the alternate version of 12.04, which was the latest version and type that would fit on a CD.

I booted up from the CD and soon had a nice clean installation, with the drive partitioned the way I wanted it. But I still had no wireless. So I got out one of my trusty Ethernet cables and plugged it in.

After a lot of apt-getting I had upgraded to 14.04LTS, on a freshly formatted and partitioned hard drive, and it runs great. Oh, its wireless works, too.

So, you might be wondering to yourself, does this change Moody's feelings about Linux? Nope. Not one iota! And here's why.

For one thing, almost concurrently with the arrival of my new laptop came some devastating family news. My niece called me, almost hysterical, and said her dad had had a stroke followed by a heart attack and was on life support. In Louisiana. He had gone there to take care of his 102-year-old father. After calming her down I spent a long time convincing her that she needed to get on a plane ASAP. She and her dad had been estranged for the last couple of years, and she had a lot of hurt/anger/worry/sadness/mixed emotions going on. Over the next few hours there were many phone calls and e-mails, and to say I was preoccupied is kind of an understatement. I figure that at some point along the way I answered a prompt incorrectly or didn't notice that something was being removed that shouldn't have been. That's not Linux's fault.

Plus, this whole mess just reinforced my attitude that with Linux everything is possible. Even when something gets borked to the point of not being usable it's not the end of the world.

My new laptop is doing great. My relative, not so much. He never regained consciousness, had another heart attack followed by full cardiac arrest, and died on the 26th. My niece did go--before he died--and I'm really proud of her. She hates flying even more than I do, so that combined with her mixed emotions about her father made her really not want to go. I know this decision will mean a lot to her later in life.

Once Samba was installed the other computers on my network could see the new computer but couldn't access it, and it wasn't seeing any of the other computers. I didn't feel like troubleshooting so I thought I'd just uninstall everything related to Samba and start over. That turned out to be a very bad decision.

Dumb question, but did you ever check to see if all your systems were configured to use the same workgroup? Did you set up any shares?

I've been messing around with samba recently, too, but I'm trying to set it so that when I access the shares from another computer I can get full read/write permissions, but everyone else with an account is read-only.

Upvote 0
I have only tried Ubuntu a few times to be honest. I always get into it and love how my computer performs....but then I remember I am a PC gamer and Wine just isn't good enough to keep me content, and I always end up going back to Windows :p
I really don't know what I would do if I were heavy into gaming. But since I only ever see things that are available for Linux, I wouldn't be in a position to see/play something that requires windows. Besides, most games I play these days are on my Android tablet. :D

Upvote 0
Dumb question, but did you ever check to see if all your systems were configured to use the same workgroup?
There are no dumb questions. :) Yes, they were all identical. I can do this in my sleep...which is good, what with insomnia and everything. :laugh: Seriously, though, I do it by rote; everything is always the same.

Did you set up any shares?
On the new computer? No, I never got to that point because Samba was broken somehow.

I've been messing around with samba recently, too, but I'm trying to set it so that when I access the shares from another computer I can get full read/write permissions, but everyone else with an account is read-only.
I haven't needed to do that, but I'm pretty sure it's doable since file permissions are such a *nix thing.

Upvote 0
There are no dumb questions. :) Yes, they were all identical. I can do this in my sleep...which is good, what with insomnia and everything. :laugh: Seriously, though, I do it by rote; everything is always the same.

On the new computer? No, I never got to that point because Samba was broken somehow.

Very odd that it would be broken out-of-the-box, (out-of-the-install? Out-of-the-.deb? :laugh:). Any chance the service merely wasn't started?

Finally, I thought there was practically no configuration needed for getting *nix boxes to see each other on a network, when not going through samba. There's no workgroup to filter through, they should be all sitting there at the top of the network:/// tree?

I haven't needed to do that, but I'm pretty sure it's doable since file permissions are such a *nix thing.

I'm gonna need to learn it if I ever have to start crossing over into network admin job stuff. Not to mention, not every client's network that my laptop may be hooked to may be safe; the last thing I need is for all my shares to be exposed with full read/write to someone else in the house (not who I would be helping at that moment) who would think its "cute" to start deleting random stuff. Especially if he's a windows only script kiddie troll and doesn't know what all the different linux folders are for.

Upvote 0
Very odd that it would be broken out-of-the-box, (out-of-the-install? Out-of-the-.deb? :laugh:). Any chance the service merely wasn't started?

Finally, I thought there was practically no configuration needed for getting *nix boxes to see each other on a network, when not going through samba. There's no workgroup to filter through, they should be all sitting there at the top of the network:/// tree?

She said probably incorrectly answered a prompt... Lord knows, I've done that to myself many a time.

/dev/sda2 is /efi/boot on my machine.

Upvote 0
It was so broken--and now, with the passage of a week--my memory is muddled. I know I could configure some things, so it had to be running, but that's about it. :thinking:

Yes, all computers were visible there, to and on all computers. BUT, they could not access each other.

I'm gonna need to learn it if I ever have to start crossing over into network admin job stuff. Not to mention, not every client's network that my laptop may be hooked to may be safe; the last thing I need is for all my shares to be exposed with full read/write to someone else in the house (not who I would be helping at that moment) who would think its "cute" to start deleting random stuff. Especially if he's a windows only script kiddie troll and doesn't know what all the different linux folders are for.
Oh, tell me about it! My mother was notorious for doing crazy things on her computer. However, I actually never had to hide the network, per se, from her. Instead, I just buried or hid or did away with anything, like Dolphin, that she could launch and then start accidentally dragging/dropping/deleting things. :eek: :laugh: She never had any need for direct file/disk access like that anyway, so it didn't inhibit her at all.

She said probably incorrectly answered a prompt... Lord knows, I've done that to myself many a time.
Yes, exactly. I really don't know what went wrong, or WHEN it went wrong, but I assume *I* was responsible for it, not Linux. :D

Upvote 0
I did one thing wrong in Linux and that was install it ever since I did that I can't stand the site of a Window :eek:

So true, I remember when I first installed Ubuntu...I immediately fell in love with how the system worked....but I realized that I mostly play games on my desktop and it just wasn't going to work out....the sadness when I had to uninstall it and put Windows back on my device :(

Upvote 0
So true, I remember when I first installed Ubuntu...I immediately fell in love with how the system worked....but I realized that I mostly play games on my desktop and it just wasn't going to work out....the sadness when I had to uninstall it and put Windows back on my device :(
Is dual-booting not your cup of tea? Would you be willing to try it? Or running one OS in a virtual box? Or adding a cheap second computer? :)

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Eh I just don't know if it's worth it for me. I mean setting up a second computer would be much more worth while, when I am on my PC I am always gaming usually lol. :)

Yeah, I've never been a fan of dual booting.

If adding another computer is an option, why not go that route? There are so many great--and inexpensive!--choices these days, it doesn't have to be a big investment financially.

Upvote 0
I have only tried Ubuntu a few times to be honest. I always get into it and love how my computer performs....but then I remember I am a PC gamer and Wine just isn't good enough to keep me content, and I always end up going back to Windows :p

Dual boot, it's what I do!

EDIT: I'm clearly late to this particular party :p

Upvote 0
I so need to fix the borked OpenSUSE install on my Acer Ultrabook. Not sure what happened, all I did was attempt Portal 2 on it (had just got Linux support) and it loaded albeit in inverted colors (something about Mesa libs) and froze, so I pulled the plug. Trying to boot it now gives 'missing operating system' and freezes. I did the smart thing and had a separate /home so perhaps reinstalling it from the DVD will revive it?

Upvote 0
What'd you do, nuke the "/" partition? :banghead:

In that case, what's happening is that grub's been configured to look for that partition and boot from it, and can't find any of the files. If /home is still on a separate partition, then yes, as long as you don't format /home, just run the installer and install "/" to your nuked system partition and you should be back in business with your documents/pics/music/whathaveyou intact but probably not your apps.

-edit-

Actually, reading your post again, it looks like you simply rebooted when it froze. You might wanna boot using a live ISO and check your / partition to see if everything's there first. If it is, then its grub that's borked. You may merely need to chroot into the broken system and run update-grub (assuming grub is your bootloader) to repair it.

Upvote 0
I so need to fix the borked OpenSUSE install on my Acer Ultrabook. Not sure what happened, all I did was attempt Portal 2 on it (had just got Linux support) and it loaded albeit in inverted colors (something about Mesa libs) and froze, so I pulled the plug. Trying to boot it now gives 'missing operating system' and freezes. I did the smart thing and had a separate /home so perhaps reinstalling it from the DVD will revive it?
Lately I've become something of an advocate of reinstalling rather than troubleshooting. :eek: Yes, I know! MOODY saying reinstall LINUX?!!!! But, seriously, I'm just too lazy and unmotivated any more to want to bother troubleshooting when a quick reinstall would set things right. So that's my vote! :)

Since you have separate / and /home partitions, you can safely format / during the reinstall and not worry about losing anything [user files, obviously, not system files]. I know it's prudent to say "back everything up first!...blah blah blah..." but, honestly, in all these many years I have NEVER seen anything go wrong such that I lost data on partitions that were not being formatted during a reinstall. YMMV, of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones