• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my new project-Aquarium keeping part 2

ok so here is an update and things i want/need to do:
1. i finally finished the rockscape. i made a video i'll post at the bottom of this post.
2. i installed the lights. more on this in my next post
3.i'm now looking into cord management. with the lights, pumps and heaters and more, figuring out how to manage the cords so that it does not look like a rat's nest is very important. right now i'm looking to build a control board where i can mount all of the electricals and switches. i'll make another post for that later, once i have an idea what i'm gonna do about it.
4.the tank is now ordered and should be ready in a few weeks.
5.as soon as i get the tank, then the next thing to do is plan how i want to plumb the tank.
6.i'm considering making a mixing tank with its own pump that with just a flip of a few valves i can drain and pump new water, when i want to do a water change.
7.i'm also considering getting a RO/DI unit to make my saltwater.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
ok i just wanted to have a separate post on my lights.

so i have a friend who is Turkish. he has a friend in Turkey that has been making reef lights for decades. his friend wants to expand to here in the US. they just came out with a new model. my friend gave me a good deal on the lights so i agreed to try them out on my tank.

here is the website:
https://aquareef.com.tr/

its in Turkish but google translates works well there.

my issue right now is the app. the lights has its own wifi that the app can talk with. you need the app to setup a lighting schedule where you can tweek the lights color and intensity. the app is in english, but it is hard to figure certain things out. since i have two lights they need to be sync'd on the same schedule. i can't figure out how to do this. aqua reef does have some youtube videos about how to set the lights up thru the app, but it is in Turkish and is hard to follow.

anyways check out the lights:
reef_tank_setup2.jpg

check out the ceiling. its on an Ikea curtain ceiling rail so the lights can slide to any position i want. also the black thing at the top is the yo yo hanger which allows me to raise and lower the lights as needed.

sorry the picture is so blue. i need to see what kind of camera filters i can get to even the blue out.

the next thing i'm going to do is to hide the cords that are hanging from the lights.

Upvote 0
ok i just wanted to have a separate post on my lights.

so i have a friend who is Turkish. he has a friend in Turkey that has been making reef lights for decades. his friend wants to expand to here in the US. they just came out with a new model. my friend gave me a good deal on the lights so i agreed to try them out on my tank.

here is the website:
https://aquareef.com.tr/

its in Turkish but google translates works well there.

my issue right now is the app. the lights has its own wifi that the app can talk with. you need the app to setup a lighting schedule where you can tweek the lights color and intensity. the app is in english, but it is hard to figure certain things out. since i have two lights they need to be sync'd on the same schedule. i can't figure out how to do this. aqua reef does have some youtube videos about how to set the lights up thru the app, but it is in Turkish and is hard to follow.

anyways check out the lights:
reef_tank_setup2.jpg

check out the ceiling. its on an Ikea curtain ceiling rail so the lights can slide to any position i want. also the black thing at the top is the yo yo hanger which allows me to raise and lower the lights as needed.

sorry the picture is so blue. i need to see what kind of camera filters i can get to even the blue out.

the next thing i'm going to do is to hide the cords that are hanging from the lights.

That looks sweet man!! Real nice work @ocnbrze . Impressive.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
its all good. this thread is more for me then for you guys......lol

I like the subject matter in this thread. Curiously, I'm receiving notifications again. Its happen a few times, now and again, that I haven't received notifications for a specific thread and then suddenly they reaper. Probably justa glitch.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
When you get to 80 gallons can you introduce currents?
I saw some tanks in the New England Aquarium with wave action. :thinking:
the types of corals i want to grow are called sps (small polyp stony corals). they need good lighting and a strong current. so my pump will have two retirns into the tank that will create a decent amount of flow. but i also plan on adding two more pumps in the tank to create more flow as well. i will not be adding a surge machine to the tank. these units are expensive and is not really needed.

Upvote 0
Those environments are of no use without fish.
Riffing.
oh i plan on having fish. the are a necessary part of any reef tank. they add nutrients that help keep the corals happy. i want to keep the not your typical reef tank fish that you see in a lot of videos. i want to keep some odballs and hard to find fish. where am i going to get those?????? good question. i have not yet finalized what i want to keep just yet.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man that bad!!! I mean in a good way BAD!!! Sweet bro!!
thanx......i'm sure a professional could have done it better. plus i did not account for the extra bricks the pumps need. i had to use doublesided sticky tape them to the other side of the control board. it is hidden by my bed so it turned out ok. i think next i'm gonna add a black cloth to the back of the stand to hide any extra cords.

now all i need to do is get the tank, and plumb it. hopefully i should have the tank by next week.

Upvote 0
and i'm thinking of a place to put a mixing tank. i'm looking for a 100gal mixing cylinder where i can add RO water and salt. i can then pump the water into my tank. its not an essential piece, but will make my life so much easier when doing a water change. itr will most likely go in my garage. but then i have to account for the heat during the summer time as it will get quite hot......might have to add a chiller to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones