• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need old messages

MommaBearx7

Lurker
Jul 15, 2022
Hello. I recently got a new phone and upon doing the Smart Switch I opted only to transfer only the last 6 months of text messages over. Of course I'm no in desperate need of the remaining messages. I used the Google Messages app. Is there anyway I can retrieve these messages? They weren't deleted, just not carried over to my new phone.

well if it is not on your phone then that data is gone. if you have used smart switch to back your data to your pc, hen you might be able to find it. without your old phone's data you are pretty much s.o.l.

sorry. i would use smart switch to back up your phone to your pc periodically going forward to prevent something like this from happening again. if you use smart switch to backup phone to phone, you need to verify everything got backed as you like before getting rid of the old phone.

also there are apps on google play store that can save your sms text messages. the best is sms backup and restore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Given you transferred your data directly from your old phone to your new phone, and that you no longer have your old phone, that leaves you with nothing as far as storage of those older text messages. It makes no difference if you use Smart Switch or some other service as a file transfer utility. since you apparently did not do any kind of backup step there's no place for you to bother looking into to find those older messages.

Just so this doesn't occur again, start using Smart Switch to make regular, full backups of your phone's user account data to a trusted computer if you have one, or into an online storage service. Backups are important,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones