• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NET10 AT&T SIM Card Data Plans Now Back To Unlimited - 1.5GB Cap Removed

TVCCS

Android Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2011
I was researching some other NET10 issues earlier tonight and ran across the following...

Net10 Removes AT&T Data Caps And Goes Back To Unlimited? (Updated Again) | PhoneNews.com

UPDATED: TracFone's Net10 brings back unlimited data for AT&T SIM subs - FierceWireless

Both sources confirmed the change with NET10. I went into my NET10 account this evening and see the SIM is now referred to as "UNLIMITED". In reviewing the NET10 website, all references to the AT&T data cap have been removed and replaced with "unlimited".

All the same TOC are basically still in place about streaming, tethering, etc., being forbidden, but the 1.5GB hard cap appears to have been lifted. I did not receive a text or email from NET10 informing me of this change, as some others apparently have. As of this date I am unaware of any other AT&T MVNO offering "unlimited" data (other than Straight Talk - WalMart looks to again be selling an AT&T SIM for ST).

Speculation on the web elsewhere is that NET10's parent may be responding to a California class action lawsuit against Straight Talk concerning deceptive practices regarding "unlimited data" and service cutoffs.

One other change I see in the TOC is that NET10 now says they will give the customer a chance to fix whatever needs fixing concerning their data usage before arbitrarily cutting them off completely, which happened to my nephew a couple of months ago. Whether that in fact happens is a very open question.

NET10 Terms Of Service - Additional TOC apply to the Unlimited SIM service.

Note: The Fierce Wireless story uses the rates from NET10 including International Long Distance - Domestic Unlimited service is still available for $50 a month or $45 monthly using Auto-Pay.

An update here for those that find this post...as of Mid-October 2013 the latest data plans from NET10 show a 2.5Gb allocation at full speed followed by throttling to 2G speeds per their latest TOS. The good news is there is still some data service and no cutoff (unless you violate the TOS), and NET10 and Straight Talk are now allowing LTE phones onto the network...I'm going to hopefully have an LTE device in the next week to test, etc.

http://www.net10wireless.com/lte/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones