• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 internet calling

IHaveAnAndriod

Dec 10, 2013
I know that the nexus 5 came straight from TMobile and doesn't allow their WiFi calling feature.

I was stumbling around in my phone settings and came across something of what appears to be internet calling and I was wondering if I could make calls with this using google voice?

Has anyone came across an internet calling feature that needs to be set up within the phones settings or is it just me?

I tried to use hangouts to make calls but it only calls other hangout numbers

Actually you can call out to other numbers, besides the ones that are in your Hangouts contacts.
If you go to the Hangouts Dialer app and select the "dialer/numerical pad" you can then dial out to numbers that are not in your Hangouts contacts like in the pics that I have included -

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_210010.jpg
    IMG_20140925_210010.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20140925_230307.jpg
    IMG_20140925_230307.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Thanks I'm so happy. Maybe I won't need to upgrade to a new phone. I get unlimited data and have a dual brand router which should work with the calling good. I love to do the things on my phone that'll make my phone. I have unlimited talking but I love to have a second number with my phone. I mainly use the second number, google voice, when I meet new people and I don't want them to have my main number. Hangouts is beginning to be a livesaver lol. Thanks to all who posted on the topic

Upvote 0
If your using the hangouts dialer to use Google voice, does the other person who you are calling has to have hangouts and the dialer installed? Tried calling a phone that doesn't have hangouts and the call didn't go through.

No. The other person doesn't even need a smartphone. Assuming you are in the US, you can call any phone# in the US (including landlines) using the hangouts dialer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones