• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6p Buy now or Wait

pezza345

Lurker
May 12, 2016
I am getting a new android phone and It WILL be a nexus. I am however having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I really like the 6p and it's a pretty solid phone all round. However, I have heard rumours of HTC bringing out a new nexus in another 4 months or so. I am not sure whether I should wait or buy the 6p now. My other concern is that I will wait for the new nexus, it will be pretty bad and google will have run out of stock of the nexus 6p. I want to buy this phone new from google direct because Aussie retailers tend to sell devices for higher prices (even after they have been superseded) than one would find online (and I don't trust online retailers). What should I do? The 6p is a great phone and the only other advantages that I can foresee in the next nexus could be potentially waterproofing and force touch (since google has added support for force touch in Android N). Do you think these features are worth it? Does anyone have a phone with force touch (or force touch like features on an android device) do you even use them?

Okay, an old time Sammy user, in fact, the only smart phones I have used are Sammys....
except, my daughter has an HTC One M9, and I just totally detest the menu setup on it, and the feel of the phone.

Given the above, what is there about the Nexus 6 that would be valuable to me?
I note immediately that the battery cannot be removed. for me, that is a no no...
but I see that it has a 3,450 mAh battery so that "might not" be a super big hump to get over.
I can't remember the last time I have had to buy a replacement battery.... but, when the phone hangs up, pulling the battery always resets it.

Memory, my Sammy can take an SD card, I see the Nexus can't.... but it can go up to 128 gB at purchase, for $689.00 which is a pretty tough hit for the extra memory, $200 worth of hit.

I see that it has the same AMOLED cinematic display that my Sammy Note4 and S5 do.
and it has Gorilla Glass, as my Note 4 does.

I'm sitting here wondering, just what in the hell I need the Nexus 6 for?

the extra bloatware apps that people get all nervous about, have all been turned OFF with * Package Disabler Pro [Samsung] - the New Version
... the little bit of RAM the apps take is a non-argument.... my phone has more RAM on it than I will ever use.

All of my pictures default to the SDcard, so the phone's internal memory is only used for the apps to run in....

I am having a LOT of trouble trying to even get close to justifying the purchase of a Nexus.

Upvote 0
Okay, an old time Sammy user, in fact, the only smart phones I have used are Sammys....
except, my daughter has an HTC One M9, and I just totally detest the menu setup on it, and the feel of the phone.

I note immediately that the battery cannot be removed. for me, that is a no no...
but I see that it has a 3,450 mAh battery so that "might not" be a super big hump to get over.
I can't remember the last time I have had to buy a replacement battery.... but, when the phone hangs up, pulling the battery always resets it.

Memory, my Sammy can take an SD card, I see the Nexus can't.... but it can go up to 128 gB at purchase, for $689.00 which is a pretty tough hit for the extra memory, $200 worth of hit.

I see that it has the same AMOLED cinematic display that my Sammy Note4 and S5 do.

the extra bloatware apps that people get all nervous about, have all been turned OFF with * Package Disabler Pro [Samsung] - the New Version
... the little bit of RAM the apps take is a non-argument.... my phone has more RAM on it than I will ever use.

All of my pictures default to the SDcard, so the phone's internal memory is only used for the apps to run in....

I am having a LOT of trouble trying to even get close to justifying the purchase of a Nexus.
Some folks like the look and feel of pure stock Android.
Removable batteries aren't a big deal to most folks.
Nexus devices get a lot more support in OS and security updates than any other device.

I don't even understand the need for your post. The OP was asking if he should wait for the next Nexus or go ahead and buy the 6p.....

Upvote 0
I need a new phone now (my piece of crap is on its last leg ) and if itvbreaks the only extra phone i can activate on my network is a crap phone from idk how many years ago with 4gb internal storage but id rather wait for the new nexus. Of course if they only release tablets this year im screwed but i intend to wait and see.

Upvote 0

First of all:
Phones with a non-removable battery can still be reset if the "phone hangs up" otherwise how do you explain not seeing a bunch of "my tablet froze and i cant reset it" since ALL tablets have non removable batteries.

There are things set up software wise to ensure you dont get stuck with a device you cant reset.

Second: you can choose to save your pics on sd card by default with any android device with an sd card slot. Samsung didnt do anything revolutionary there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones