• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 6P on Cricket, hotspot is blocked

You can try adding mobile hotspot from Cricket for $10/month, it might work on the Google Nexus 6P by Huawei.
Nope it isn't an approved phone for it.. I'd gladly pay for it if it would let me lol

Let me know how the moto pure does, I heard it was also blocked on it from a friend.. Haven't tried it myself though

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Bummer! Those are factory unlocked as well :( guess they have figured out ways to block them! Lol

I guess I might end up rooting after all. I just hate having to turn superuser off to add new cards to Android Pay and I have also found that it sometimes doesn't work in some stores if SU is turned on. (Most it does though) ha-ha

And with nexus there really isn't much need to root BUT I would be it is even blocked via unrooted... I know my Moto G was.

Upvote 0
Greedy bastards, charging $10 to use the data you already paid for. Go to hell, Cricket/AT&T. Probably another reason they're making phones harder and harder to root.

I agree, we have already PAID for the data, there is no valid reason to charge for turning on Hotspot.
DATA is DATA regardless of how it gets used.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I agree, we have already PAID for the data, there is no valid reason to charge for turning on Hotspot.
DATA is DATA regardless of how it gets used.
I could understand blocking tethering on a true unlimited plan because people will likely use a lot more data tethering their laptop to watch Netflix or whatever, but if you're paying for 5 or 10 GB it shouldn't matter how you use it. Anyone trying to tether to a throttled phone isn't going to accomplish anything useful at 2G speeds.

Upvote 0
But the thing is,there really isn't anything to update.. Just let us use the native apps on our phone and charge us for it.. They know when we try and use those apps BC it tells us to call AT&T..

I haven't tried hotspot on a supported phone, but is imagine there is a Cricket tether app or something and its not using the native tether

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones