• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no internet with data on; display notifications

chueh

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
Q1: Since I don't use much cell phone other than making phone calls and texting, I turned the cellular data OFF. I have mainly used wifi for internet.

However, the other other, I needed to access map online while driving. I turned the cellular data ON, but "no internet" was indicated. Due to the condition, I tried later to access internet under different circumstances, but I have NOT been able to use internet with the cellular data ON.

Q2: My husband and I both have Moto E4. Every time there is a text coming in, his phone DISPLAYS the notification (a little white box in the middle of the screen). On the contrary, mine does not display any notification on the screen. I have tried the settings to see where I could make the notifications DISPLAYABLE on the screen, but I have not had the success to find where to enable it.

Please help me with the above two questions. Thanks in advance

Q1: Since I don't use much cell phone other than making phone calls and texting, I turned the cellular data OFF. I have mainly used wifi for internet.

However, the other other, I needed to access map online while driving. I turned the cellular data ON, but "no internet" was indicated. Due to the condition, I tried later to access internet under different circumstances, but I have NOT been able to use internet with the cellular data ON.

Q2: My husband and I both have Moto E4. Every time there is a text coming in, his phone DISPLAYS the notification (a little white box in the middle of the screen). On the contrary, mine does not display any notification on the screen. I have tried the settings to see where I could make the notifications DISPLAYABLE on the screen, but I have not had the success to find where to enable it.

Please help me with the above two questions. Thanks in advance
Q1. turn cellular data on and then reboot the phone.

Q2. you will not get text message unless you have cellular turned on.

Upvote 0
Q1 - Since you can make phone calls and send texts out that at least indicates your base cellular service is set up and working, it's just that 'mobile data' isn't working.
-- Shut off your E4, remove the back cover, pull the battery out, and just remove and replace the SIM card. Sometimes the SIM card just needs to be re-seated in its slot to fix sporadic issues with cellular connectivity.
-- If that didn't make any difference, try doing a 'Network settings reset'. You need to look in the Settings >> Wireless & networks >> More menu to find the 'Network settings reset' option. Note that this will wipe all network related settings back to their defaults, so things like saved WiFi networks and Bluetooth pairings will need to be re-done too as it's not just cellular config files that get wiped.

Q2 - Just to confirm what's happening, is the problem that you're not seeing any notifications when a text message is coming in (neither on your lock screen nor the notification bar), or is it just one or the other?
Does this happen with every incoming text message, or just with certain people?
Also, who is your carrier and what text messaging app are you using?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you svim for your prompt answers.

Q2. All my other phones in the past had the BLUE text message icon on the home screen showing RED #1, 2, 3 etc when there are new texts received. BUT neither my husband's or my E4 has this function. We have to actually tap the icon to open the message app in order to know if there is a new message or not.

Since E4 does not seem to be equipped with this function, I would just have to learn the lesson to be careful of purchasing any Moto devices, YET I still want to be alerted when there is a message coming in on the home screen as my husband's. The white message box wouldn't go away until he reads the new message. Although the Blue icon does not show the numbers of the newly received texts, at least he is aware of the new messages shown. However, I would not be aware of any new texts arrived, if I don't open up the message app. So crazy!!!

Upvote 0
Q2 - Not knowing just what text messaging app you're using it's hard to be more definitive but go into the app's Settings menu and see if it has any options that allow you to set up its notifications more to your liking.
Or give some thought to installing a third-party text messaging app from the Play Store.
Just as an example, with my preference Signal Private Messenger, in the app's Settings menu there are options in a Notifications section to select what sound to use for incoming messages, enable/disable vibrate, what to show (name, name and message, etc.), and more. A lot of other text messaging apps will have even more extensive options to customize the app to work the way you prefer.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I just found out that the pre-installed sms app is Google Messageso_O
Thanks to you svim provoking me to find out what it is (never curious enough to know which app my sms has been with different phones). That's why I thought it was Moto E4's problem, for I have been using android phones thinking they being all the same.

I checked the google play store (thanks to you as well). I know which one I would like.

Thank you so very much for all your helps. You have been very thorough and helpful

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones