• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No wifi calling on colorOS V11

You'll need to check with your carrier, and see if it is implemented with them.
It just doesn't pop up automatically on your device, and chances are you'll need to get a new device that supports it.

I've got a tello sim card (that piggy backs on T-mobile network) in my reno2 z that does support wifi calling but the option doesn't present itself in my settings. So when you say 'new device', are you talking about a new phone or a different sim card?

Upvote 0
Thanks, Dannydet. Very good of you to get back to me so fast. Now, what you're telling me I'm not really understanding (sorry about that). Just to be clear, The tello sim card does support WiFi calling and the Reno2 Z is supposed to support WiFi calling after colorOS7 but it's not showing up in my settings. Surely Tello doesn't have to produce a sim card that fits every single android phone? If the sim card is compliant and the phone's OS is compliant then the option should present itself in my settings shouldn't it? Thanks again for your time.

Upvote 0
Your carrier holds the cards on this. They are basically the gatekeeper here.
You can throw any Sim card in your phone with wifi calling features on it, but if your phone doesn't give you wifi calling options, then your stuck without wifi calling, period.
It's not an issue with android OS, it's an issue with your carrier.
I'd contact them and ask them what your next steps are.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
A new device. The Sim card doesn't control wifi calling options.
Only your phone carrier can tell you what phone models they support wifi calling....
That's why you are not seeing that in your phone settings options

I'm sorry Dannydet. by what do you mean by "carrier"? When someone says phone carrier to me I think of T-mobile or sprint etc. Is this what you're talking about? For me, Tello would be my carrier (via T-moble).

Upvote 0
So T-mobile has to set up wifi calling for every different make and model of android phone? That sounds like a crazy system! OK, thanks for your help.
No that is not how MVNO carriers, like Tello, work. You still need to contact someone at Tello to be sure you actually have WiFi Calling enabled in your account. Tello is your carrier, T-Mobile is just the carrier network provider that Tello is contracted with. As far as T-Mobile is concerned, you don't exist.
And it's not so much that Tello, your carrier, supports WiFi Calling nor that your phone can support WiFi Calling but if your account with Tello allows you to use WiFi Calling. It's in their hands so let them deal with this. You might need to new SIM card from them, or it might be a matter where you need to disable 5G in your phone's Settings menu. Your phone only supports up to 4G/LTE.
https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_reno2_z-9809.php

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones