• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NoRoot Firewall

Based on a previous I started thread here, I installed NoRoot Firewall on my phone. I did this in order to block Android 13 from getting updates and to do this, I blocked ConfigUpdater. Hopefully this works as expected.

However, two strange behaviors: I had not allowed either Google Play Store or Google Play services/Google Service Framework. Despite my having 'automatically update apps' disabled, these processes regularly try to make a connection. Interestingly, until I enabled these apps, Google Maps did not work.

One app I enabled is MyPhoneExplorer client. However, when I tried to connect to my phone today, the connection failed. I then turned off NoRoot Firewall and the phone connected right away. What else needs to be enabled to allow MyPhoneExplorer to work?

You're assuming the NoRoot Firewall app can actually restrict system-level processes but that's not realistic.
This app can only be used to filter other, also non-root apps (all the apps you install from the Play Store). The NoRoot Firewall app cannot magically make itself able to restrict system-level apps and processes, it's always just an app that's installed as a user-level utility that can only work with other user-level apps and services.
Also note that the NoRoot Firewall app is apparently abandoned, it no longer receives further development and updates, for several years now. There a better alternatives, like the NetGuard none-root Firewall app, that are actively supported. But any Android non-root firewall app is going to be installed as a user-level utility so you can't use it to block system-level apps/services.

Look into other alternatives to block something like pre-installed, system-level services like Google Service Framework. You might be able to block some of them but you'll need to root your device to get the ability to restrict all of them. But a non-root firewall app is not your solution.

Upvote 0
Based on a previous I started thread here, I installed NoRoot Firewall on my phone. I did this in order to block Android 13 from getting updates and to do this, I blocked ConfigUpdater. Hopefully this works as expected.

However, two strange behaviors: I had not allowed either Google Play Store or Google Play services/Google Service Framework. Despite my having 'automatically update apps' disabled, these processes regularly try to make a connection. Interestingly, until I enabled these apps, Google Maps did not work.

One app I enabled is MyPhoneExplorer client. However, when I tried to connect to my phone today, the connection failed. I then turned off NoRoot Firewall and the phone connected right away. What else needs to be enabled to allow MyPhoneExplorer to work?
__temp1.jpg

Select the Logs tab as shown above, and see which MyPhoneExplorer web accesses are being denied.
Enable each denied access by tapping on it and enabling it, until MyPhoneExplorer is happy.
NoRoot Firewall is a great free little app that I use the hell out of, and it keeps the boogers at bay.
Enjoy it. It's a powerful little app.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
You're assuming the NoRoot Firewall app can actually restrict system-level processes but that's not realistic.
This app can only be used to filter other, also non-root apps (all the apps you install from the Play Store). The NoRoot Firewall app cannot magically make itself able to restrict system-level apps and processes, it's always just an app that's installed as a user-level utility that can only work with other user-level apps and services.
Also note that the NoRoot Firewall app is apparently abandoned, it no longer receives further development and updates, for several years now. There a better alternatives, like the NetGuard none-root Firewall app, that are actively supported. But any Android non-root firewall app is going to be installed as a user-level utility so you can't use it to block system-level apps/services.

Look into other alternatives to block something like pre-installed, system-level services like Google Service Framework. You might be able to block some of them but you'll need to root your device to get the ability to restrict all of them. But a non-root firewall app is not your solution.
Actually, it seems that these type apps can block internet for system apps so long as certain changes are made in the devices VPN settings- such as "block all connections without VPN" or the like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones