• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kelzgal

Lurker
Jun 20, 2023
Anyone know what this one is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-012148~2.png
    Screenshot_20230620-012148~2.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20230620-012148.png
    Screenshot_20230620-012148.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 50
Just a letter C?

There are millions of apps (literally), so anyone recognising this is a long shot. Your best bet is to ask whoever's phone this was on if it really matters (and if it isn't creepy to want to know what every app on their phone is, which, not knowing the context, is a concern I sometimes have with these questions).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Its on my phone. Tha
Just a letter C?

There are millions of apps (literally), so anyone recognising this is a long shot. Your best bet is to ask whoever's phone this was on if it really matters (and if it isn't creepy to want to know what every app on their phone is, which, not knowing the context, is a concern I sometimes have with these questions).
Its on my phone thank you and no drop down nothing for it and isn't always there.

Upvote 0
Its on my phone. Tha

Its on my phone thank you and no drop down nothing for it and isn't always there.
Sorry, it's so unusual we are asked about a notification on the person's own phone that we pretty much assume it's from a screenshot from someone else's phone (because 99% of the time that is the case).

But I think it's on the "app notifications" side rather than the "system notifications" side (from the clock and the partial GMail icon), so it's surprising that there is nothing in the drop down for it. All I can think of is "what apps do you have whose names start with C?"

Upvote 0
Does Android even respect the 'system icons on one side, app icons on another?' because as far back as the Galaxy SIII, there were many instances of that convention being violated at one point or another, such as the icon for 'power saving mode enabled' being on the 'app side' along with the 'open wifi available' notification. In fact, the notification 'fully charged--unplug charger' notification icon would also show up on the left, supposedly where 'app notifications' belong, despite it being a system notification.

Upvote 0
Funny thing is that I've never seen any of those icons. Was "fully charged, unplug charger" a Samsung TouchWiz thing? I've never owned a phone that showed that. But "power saving" and "open WiFi available" are both things I have always turned off, so would have no idea where their notifications go (I can manage my power, thanks, and don't want to know about dodgy WiFi hotpots ;)).

I don't myself get any exceptions to the rule, and don't recall when I last saw one. But I would regard add-ons like "digital wellbeing" as apps, even if they are pre-installed and accessible via system settings, so there may be an element of how you define things here (I never get digital wellbeing notifications anyway, since I turn all of the functions off and deny all of its permissions).

Upvote 0
What about modern android notifications such as those from 'permission controller' or 'Android System' which also show icons in the 'app' area? Even the periodic 'GPS searching' icon when something requests location shows under the app area, despite it being a system service.

Heck, violations of this Android 'policy' date back to Cupcake. I don't think even Google claimed there was such a thing as an 'app' and 'system' section of the notification bar. It's always been one cluttered mess and something I still don't like about Android today. (Enough that I use a third-party status bar replacement that overlays over it and is as simple as I like.)

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones