• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OFFICIAL Android Feature Wishlist Thread

I am still waiting for an Android update that will keep video's playing while browsing other websites >_< why is it taking so long?
Definitely this^^, you would have thought with YouTube being a Google product now this would be an app feature, would be nice to be able to have the app keep playing in the background while doing other things on the phone, like having YouTube playing playlist or something on the computer and working away in another tab/programme.

Reactions: Sunil Guta
Upvote 0
Not sure if its been mentioned yet or not, but it would be nice to have a media volume slider in all iterations of android, not just some, or custom roms, but a slider in the notification drawer, or even a stock widget would be awesome. And as stated previously, since the trend for carriers may possibly be to make it incredibly difficult to root their handsets, being able to uninstall, or at least disable all bloatware type apps, basically anything that can safely be removed. I dont believe being forced to live with amazon, verizon, samsung, dropbox type apps will ever convince me to use them or subscribe to them.

Upvote 0
A standard of 5000-6000mah battery and manufacturers getting rid of the slim is good motto. I just hate having slim phone for some reason maybe it really is not my taste but I also don't understand why people like having slim phone. My phone that carries a 4000mah battery(even though I love it very much) is still way too slim to my liking since its 0.9 cm that is why I put it on an armor case. I want my phone looking like a sturdy piece of device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A week was a norm on my XpressMusic days so it will be really great if I can get back on that but my phone right now last for about 2-3 days of browsing, music, gaming and fb since I have an average of 9-10 of SOT(right now my phone is currently 23% with already 7 hours and 30 minutes of SOT and WIFI at 11 hours and 15 minutes) and 4-5 days if I really can't be bothered charging. Even though those are very sweet numbers if we can pack more just like ZeroLemon's 10000 mah battery for note 4 I can't see why we can't push the norm higher.

Upvote 0
I'd like text to speech to work in Chrome. Having articles read to me while I'm driving would be awesome. If this functionality is out there already I can't find it.
Try this app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar
You activate it from the share menu of your browser and the app opens your webpage with playback controls (pause/play/stop). Works better with some sites than others, sometimes the format of the page prevents the app from reading correctly. Also sometimes the app reads the fine print at top/button of the page that you're not interested in. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Upvote 0
MOD HIJACK: This is now the official Wishlist Thread. Please use it accordingly.

Thanks for the HIJACK.

Instead of discussing crazy apps that would be cool, I think there is still a lot of basic feature improvement that can be done to Android (which might include integrating some current apps in the OS).
Thought it would be good to have this in one convenient thread for the google developers to be able to take note.
Here's a list to get the ball rolling (not in any particular order of importance)

1. Better Caller ID (This might be T-Mobile's fault, but all the numbers that I used to get ID'd, show up as "unknown").
2. Bluetooth Voice recognition? I couldn't get it to work with my motorola set.
3. Virtual Keyboard - I like the Vista Tablet model, but in this case, you would use your thumb to slide the keyboard out when you need it, kind of like you slide out the Main Menu. Although if that got in the way, maybe you could access it through the menu button.
4. I want the option to auto-mount the sd card when connected via USB put back in menu as a check box.
5. Also, the option to choose the time-interval between data auto-syncs.
6. Better battery management functions, profiles, and quicker access to screen brightness, and the other functions that Toggle provides.
7. Make the alarm clock more like Klaxon (minus all the crashing). Big snooze button, back button = dismiss, ability to select any audio in system or sd card, ability to change snooze length (in 1 minutes intervals).
8. Option to remove unnecessary apps, like Amazon MP3.
9. Ability to setup multiple gmail accounts (with one set to master account)
10. Improve email app, allow for multiple message delete, empty trash, search mail
11. Add in-browser Flash support
12. Add OpenOffice-like app to not only read, but create new docs and save to sd card.
13. Add PDF support.
14. Add a file manager. I like Bender, but I think with the support of Google devs, we can make an even better one that integrates a little more seemlessly.
15. Google Earth!!!!!!! I was shocked to see my brother pull up Earth on his ITOUCH!!!! :thinking: and ashamed that my Google, yeah that's right GOOGLE, phone could not do the same:(
16. Speaking of iPhones, the two-fingered zoom in/out is just awesome. Not sure if that is software or hardware, but it's just a huge difference is usability. And you won't hear me praise many things about the iPhone.
17. VPN functionality.
18. Fix Auto-connect WiFi. I almost always have to go in and manually connect, says connection problem, but then connects manually just fine.

[edit: thought of some more...]
19. I have a lot of Google Map connectivity issues, while being able to use other network apps fine, could be google server issue. Don't think it is T-Mobile (I'm in LA)
20. Sync contacts with popular desktop apps, such as Evolution, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc...
21. I am not big on IM, but I've heard a lot of frustration in this area, maybe someone else can give input here.
22. I'm going to steal from another thread, even though this is hardware related. I think we need a VGA video camera in the front for video-conferencing. Can you please release this OTA?:D
23. Tethering phone to laptop.
24. What do you call it when the screen senses the orientation of the phone, well I want that.
25. How could I forget? ability to copy and paste text from non-text edit modes. Maybe special text selection mode?
[/edit]

OK, whew, that's all I got.

But to finish, I never expected the G1 to be perfect, it's 1st gen, so as Beta testers, hopefully Google/HTC/Tmobile are listening to us to improve not only our phones but the next gen as well.

Hey, free consumer feedback right here. We are your customers. Make us happy. :cool:
Nice post

Upvote 0
Option to remove or recolor the texts and widgets on lockscreen.
35a7two.jpg

I'm using a "blank widget" to remove the clock widget. It's annoying that there MUST be a widget there. Removing those texts would be cool too. Or even better, change their color. I saw a few people who managed this, but they messed around with some deep stuff, which I dont want to get involved in.

Upvote 0
1) Completing the night mode. I had trouble sleeping until I discovered a program called f.lux for my PC. It seriously helped me. It would be awesome to have a night mode feature that work within the system. Because those third party apps just don't work properly.
2) Better notifications. I don't know what's wrong with these notifications but it really pisses me off when a new notification pops up at the bottom, then just when I decide to tap it, it moves to the top. They should fix this. It was just working in my older device where I had Jelly Bean. And they should add an option to pin notifications to the top (for the ones which are always there, can't be swiped to clear).
3) Bring back the old data manager. I used to be able to see how much of data I used on cellular network, day by day. But now, I can only see from a certain starting point. For instance, 22nd of every month. In my older device, I could swipe the starting and ending point to see between dates. For instance, I could see how much data I've used between 3rd and 4th of this month. That way, it was really easier to spot the data hungry apps.
4) Add finger gestures to stock launcher. I really like the stock launcher, being very fast and all. But I'm really used to the Solo Launcher's finger gestures. For instance, I can just swipe down from anywhere on the launcher screen to open the notification bar. Double tap anywhere on the launcher to lock the screen.

(I'll add more if I can think of any)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones