• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One UI 6.1 update broke a feature on google messages

dheymann

Aug 10, 2011
I have an S23 Ultra on verizon. I use google messages as my default SMS. I often send a message to someone I will only communicate with for the day so I don't want to add them to my contacts. After I have sent them a text, I want to copy their phone number and send it to someone else. Up until now, I could click on the three button menu on a message and hit details. It would show me the phone number. If I long press it I get the copy option. Now the long press no longer gives me the copy option. This started about the time my phone was updated to the new One UI 6.1. I don't know if the two things are related. Does anyone know how to get the copy function back for that particular screen? Thanks!

I have an S23 Ultra on verizon. I use google messages as my default SMS. I often send a message to someone I will only communicate with for the day so I don't want to add them to my contacts. After I have sent them a text, I want to copy their phone number and send it to someone else. Up until now, I could click on the three button menu on a message and hit details. It would show me the phone number. If I long press it I get the copy option. Now the long press no longer gives me the copy option. This started about the time my phone was updated to the new One UI 6.1. I don't know if the two things are related. Does anyone know how to get the copy function back for that particular screen? Thanks!
On my Fold 4, if I long press on a message look for this
1712841609909.png

It should be at the top, near the 3 dots. That's your copy button. Then you can just paste whatever you copied into the next message.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
On my Fold 4, if I long press on a message look for this
View attachment 172956
It should be at the top, near the 3 dots. That's your copy button. Then you can just paste whatever you copied into the next message.
Thanks for the reply. That is to copy the contents of the text message. I am trying to copy the phone number that sent the text when they are not one of my contacts. I could do that until about a month or so ago.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0

Don't know if this will help. It sounds like it was something in the Samsung update. I have a Pixel 8 with the April Google update and Google Messages still functions like your version of Google Messages use to function.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help. It sounds like it was something in the Samsung update. I have a Pixel 8 with the April Google update and Google Messages still functions like your version of Google Messages use to function.
This gave me the answer! I uninstalled the messages app. Not 100% sure if that worked but then it gave me an update button and I updated the messenger app. Now it works like it used to. Thanks!

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Thanks for the reply. That is to copy the contents of the text message. I am trying to copy the phone number that sent the text when they are not one of my contacts. I could do that until about a month or so ago.
Ok for that long press the message>select the three dots>select view details> and then long press the phone number to copy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones