• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outlook for Android archive folder

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
In Outlook for Android there is an Archive folder. The folder is specific to the phone app as it doesn't exist in Outlook online or Outlook on a PC desktop.

I don't use this Archive folder and so I was surprised when I looked in it and found a lot of emails in it. I recognized them as being emails that I have deleted from one of the email accounts I have on the phone.

The thing is I like to keep things cleaned up to a certain point so I will delete certain emails without opening them and then go to the Deleted folder, select those emails I just deleted from the Inbox and delete them again which permanently deletes them.

So some or all of these emails that I've done this 2 step permanent deletion have wound up in this Archive folder, but they are only from one of the email accounts. The permanently deleted emails from the other accounts are not there.

I want to empty this folder but due to the very large number of emails in the folder it will take a lot of effort and time to do so. I would prefer to empty the folder like you can empty the Junk folder in Outlook for Android in just one step.

Has anyone run into this and found a solution?

Jonathan

Outlook Archive (and AutoArchive) will move older email, task and calendar items to an archive folder.

You probably have different AutoArchive settings for each of your email accounts.

Depending on how you configure it, Outlook Archive can perform one of the following tasks:
1. Move emails and other items from their current folders to an archive folder.
2. Permanently delete old emails and other items as soon as they have passed the specified aging period.

Please double check your Outlook settings for every email accounts.

Upvote 0
Outlook Archive (and AutoArchive) will move older email, task and calendar items to an archive folder.

You probably have different AutoArchive settings for each of your email accounts.

Depending on how you configure it, Outlook Archive can perform one of the following tasks:
1. Move emails and other items from their current folders to an archive folder.
2. Permanently delete old emails and other items as soon as they have passed the specified aging period.

Please double check your Outlook settings for every email accounts.
That's not the problem. There is no auto archive function in Android Outlook like there is in Outlook on a PC and on my PC I don't have auto archive enabled at all.
This is happening for just a gmail account and the emails appearing in the archive folder are all ones that I had previously deleted. So Google as usual is doing something stupid. I tried to find this archive folder online in my gmail account but the search was negative. And there is no archive folder in Outlook in my gmail account on my PC since the auto archive function in Outlook on a PC doesn't use an archive folder but archives email to a PST file.

Reactions: James_Watson
Upvote 0
Long shot but did you ever get this sorted? I have the exact same issue with Outlook on Android handling my GMail account.
No I never did find a solution. It wouldn't be a big deal if there was some way to select all messages at once in the folder but there isn't. You have to select them one at a time. And since whatever process that puts them there has been happening for some time, there are a lot of emails in it. Just not worth my time. So I now ignore it. Stupid Google.

Upvote 0
Hello I have the exact same problem if ever o fid a solution to delete this archive folder that I only have for my account gmaon on Android Outlook.

But I can select all emails on the folder to delete them at once.
How did you select all emails in the folder? It's easy on a computer but I have not found any way to do so on a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones