• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PGA announces merger with LIV

It's all about the money

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Upvote 0
Basically, between the two entities, they are trying to control global golf. It will be interesting to see how the European tour figures in. They have said that only 40% of the elite golfers are part of the PGA. I don't know what percentage is part of the Saudi league. The European tour is big and also has a long standing tradition just like the PGA. To try to control global golf is a lofty ambition. With the PGA and it's strong following and viewership and the dollars that the Saudis have.. maybe they can pull it off.
The LPGA is another big question. A lot more questions than answers right now.

I feel like the PGA realized their not for profit presence is going to be left in the dust without the merger with LIV. What the two in partnership can accomplish is yet to be seen. Ultimately there will be more money in the sport which will entice more athletes to use their abilities to play golf instead of more physically demanding sports. Perhaps we will see a minor league tour to include the not quite ready for prime time players that can hone their craft with hopes of moving into the big arena. A complete umbrella to cover the sport would also include Top Golf and Virtual golf.

The sport is ripe for the picken. LIV saw that and jumped into the game. The PGA tried to hold onto long respected and honored tradition. MONEY....... too much money to ignore, has waved it's hand and the PGA had to react or lose out. I personally think that tradition is important but the game, athletes, and viewers aren't the same as they were 100 years ago. Perhaps it is time for some editing and if that results in profits for the organizers... so what. Just open up the game to more players to make a living playing the game.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
It's not like the PGA has any bargaining chips. It's sad for old school golf traditionalist but it might be good for golf in the long run. Different product, owned abroad, with the power to change a never changing game. I can't think of another professional sport that has had a single leadership that the Saudi might want but I don't know what stops them.... Pro Bowlers maybe. Crazy times.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones