• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "PH39img.zip not found or missing" -- is this a problem?

bruce73

Android Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I've been Googling about this error and I'm inferring that I'm don't need to worry, but I'd like some confirmation from the experts.

A brief summary: I used Hasoon2000's kit to unlock and root my Vivid (flashed the WCX recovery). That went fine. Now I'd like to experiment with custom ROMs, so I installed ROM Manager, which requires a CWM recovery. So I flashed v.5.0.2.7 using ROM Manager, but when I tried to boot into Recovery, I was stuck on the white HTC logo screen. Ugh.

So I did a battery pull and was able to reboot the phone. I re-ran Hansoon's kit and this time chose CWM recovery (5.5.0.4). Rebooted. Now ROM Manager is happy and I can boot into Recovery. Cool.

But ... if I go into Bootloader from HBoot, then select Fastboot, it does its check and it says that PH39img.zip (plus a couple of other files) are "missing or not found" (pretty sure this was the first time I did this). I gather it's looking on the sdcard. Is this a problem? It doesn't appear to be, but, as a noob, I'm still a little unclear about HBoot & Fastboot and what's needed and what's not.

Also, any ideas why flashing CWM 5.0.2.7 didn't seem to work (although ROM Manager said it installed successfully), but 5.5.0.4 did? Can you even flash a recovery from within the OS?

the ph39img.zip, etc, is what a stock update is called. Basically the phone is checking to see if there is a file that it is supposed to flash. It's also the easiest way to flash a recovery, imo. So no, it's not a bad thing that it can't find them, because if it did, it would try to flash them, and unless you want to flash a new recovery, and deliberately place the proper file on your SD Card, it shouldn't be flashing anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones