• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phandroid and Androidforums.com's New Look!

MANY of us have complained of the same thing. It's WAY too bright and hard on the eyes. Unfortunately the site admins have chosen to completely ignore us. Very disappointing and just a bit rude.

Not much of a poster, but read and search here daily! I like the new look and style, but Im afraid I can't read hardly anything here anymore. As bad as I hate it I have had to go to other forums for info (none as good as here) The text is way to small and the brightness is blinding!! Have a little compassion for those of us with less than X-Ray vision.

Sorry, I know of all the complaints, we got lots here and on Phandroid. It has been fixed over there and the fix is making its way here.

Sorry for the trouble! I just talked to Rob about it so, we'll get this fixed soon as the developer can.

Upvote 0
Personally ☜ I think they (developer(s)) had done a good job of replacing the "bright white" background to a softer look (what it is now). However, if some people are still having problems with the background color, I'm sure that Admin and our awesome Dev(s) will provide a color that will be to our satisfaction (hopefully.) :)

Note: If the background color gets too dark.. it will not fit in with the new look of the forums (blue and green), thus giving the site a dull flat look.

Upvote 0
Personally ☜ I think they (developer(s)) had done a good job of replacing the "bright white" background to a softer look (what it is now). However, if some people are still having problems with the background color, I'm sure that Admin and our awesome Dev(s) will provide a color that will be to our satisfaction (hopefully.) :)

Note: If the background color gets too dark.. it will not fit in with the new look of the forums (blue and green), thus giving the site a dull flat look.

Have they changed it? :thinking: Both AF and phandroid still look pure white to me.

Upvote 0
There are two different shades. You'll see it better if you are using a mobile phone (full site). I'm not browsing the site via computer.

As for me, it's fine as is...but as I've said before - hopefully the end result will be satisfactory for everyone.

The posts do have a slight blue tint to their background, yeah. I think that has been the same since the launch of the new UI though.

Reactions: Rush
Upvote 0
The posts do have a slight blue tint to their background, yeah. I think that has been the same since the launch of the new UI though.
I guess you might be right... The only problem I have so far (and it's not that big of a deal) is the narrowing of the site (that doesn't fit completely when zoomed out) that leaves a 4" gap on the right side of the page. ....................................................................................................................................................>

Upvote 0
I guess you might be right... The only problem I have so far (and it's not that big of a deal) is the narrowing of the site (that doesn't fit completely when zoomed out) that leaves a 4" gap on the right side of the page. ....................................................................................................................................................>

Yeah. It would be nice if it would auto-resize to fit your monitor. Personally it's just right for me, as I zoom in, but the wasted space must be a pain for other people.

Upvote 0
When does the corporate world ever listen to those of us upon whom they ultimately depend for their existence? :)

I don't find it too bright, but then I only run my displays at about 30% brightness. If I ran them at the 100% they ship with from the manufacturer, most every website with white on it would be retina-burning. I will say this. I would much prefer this color scheme than those forums which are white-text-on-black-themed. Those truly ARE hard on the eyes.

I don't run my display at 100%. I'm usually at 30 to 40%. It's still blinding. There is just too much white.

Upvote 0
For anyone who's "stuck" with this microscopic font in Chrome, I found a way to fix some of it to make the site at least semi-usable. Locate your Custom.css style sheet for Chrome. For me on Linux it's ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/UserStyleSheets/Custom.css.

I added the following lines:
Code:
div .smallfont{
font-size: 18px !important;
}
div .alt1{
}
div .alt2{
}
div .alt1Active{
}

Now when I start Chrome with the --enable-user-stylesheet option, most of the text I want to read becomes readable.

I don't think that all of the lines above are necessarily accomplishing, and certainly there's a lot more to work on, but I thought this would be a good start for someone more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, allowing them to modify more elements on the page to make them readable.

Note: I have no idea what effect this will have on other sites.

Upvote 0
Have they changed it? :thinking: Both AF and phandroid still look pure white to me.

If you are on a wide-screen monitor there are empty blocks on right/left side of page.

Before redesign it was blue. Changed to VERY bright white. Couple days after that it was changed to a light gray that wasn't so intense. (at least I think)

I only notice it on home computer (widescreen)

Reactions: Rush
Upvote 0
Why can't a option be included to set the text and background color to each users personal preference in the profile or at least offer a choice of several different schemes with this being the default? This may have been already asked before somewhere and I just missed it.

zahMf.jpg

Upvote 0
Still no fix for the small font issue in chrome? I have good eyes and on my 27" iMac, the text is so small that I have to shove my face in my monitor just to read it! It was about 9 days ago that you guys promised a fix would be coming "shortly". To be more specific, zooming within Chrome does NOT change the font size like it used to. Thus, we end up with wide open areas of tiny little text.

Please fix this! I can't bear it much longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones