• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone apparently soft booting

WarnerYoung

Jun 16, 2010
Hi all,

Been using an HTC Rez for over 2 years, and I've been mostly happy with it. I'll probably switch soon to something newer, but in the meantime, I've run into a strange problem. This started about a week ago, and the symptom is that the phone appears to be locked for a while, then all the icons disappear from the notification bar, then start coming back. It acts like it's rebooting, but if I check the uptime, it hasn't changed, so it's not a full boot.

In the past, I've had problems with Sense doing this, so I switched to Nova Launcher, and things have been good for quite a while. But now this started happening. I know I could try a factory reset, but I'm reluctant to do it because of the effort involved. What I'd like to know first is, can I go into Apps and completely disable HTC Sense, to see if Sense is still somehow causing a problem? Or will disabling Sense completely brick the phone?

Other than disabling Sense or a factory reset, anyone have any other suggestions on things I can try to fix this, or at least figure out what's causing it?

Thanks!

I am assuming this phone is stock and you have never made changes in the Developers menu?

These "redraws" or launcher restarts, where the screen is essentially refreshed, are often associated with insufficient memory (RAM, not storage) or excessive cache "junk" or a near full cache partition.

I would recommend wiping the cache partition, it can be done through the stock recovery of the phone, this does NOT hurt or wipe any of your data or information.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I finally noticed that every time this happened, I would see the Lux Lite icon show up, disappear, show up, and so on, so I uninstalled that to see if it was causing a problem. At first, that seemed to fix it, but nope, the soft reboots are still happening.

I've also tried clearing the cached data as suggested, and it's still happening. I also uninstalled a few apps I don't really use often. At this point, I'm not sure what else to try, so I may give up and do a full reset unless someone has a better suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones