• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone drops call, sticks on "hanging up"

(G)

Android Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Minnetonka, MN
www.gleone.com
I've had this happen to me twice in the past week. I'm talking on the phone (long distance) and suddenly the call gets dropped, but the phone looks like it's still connected. So I hit the "hang up" icon, and the phone then spends at least 3 minutes saying "Hanging up" but never does. Then I try to power it off and it won't power off until I hold the power and volume up buttons. THEN it takes several minutes to reboot.

Anyone else have this happen?

When things like this happen, I like to suggest trying a wipe of the cache partition. This does not destroy any data on the phone, but it does clear away some log files and other temp files that may be affecting performance.

See instructions for this here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...108278/p/30,6720,9583/kw/wipe cache partition

By the way, you don't have to hold volume to restart the phone. Holding the power button for about ten seconds will always force a restart of the phone.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Holding the power button for about ten seconds will always force a restart of the phone.

Thanks, but not in this case. I held the power button down for a good minute and nothing happened. It just kept saying "Hanging up." Only when I also held the volume button did it finally shut down. However, thanks for the cache info!

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
I had a Droid Maxx and answered a call while in Staples. The buttons at the bottom of the display did not work.

I assumed it was a hardware problem and prepared it before taking it into Verizon for and exchange by doing a Factory Data Reset.

The buttons worked and never failed again.

... Thom

Thanks. If it happens again I'll give that a try. For now, I've tried clearing the cache, so we'll see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones