• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone keeps crashing - boot loops and black screens

greenss

Lurker
Nov 8, 2016
Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254, Android 5.1, System 23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US vzw
Bone stock. No bootloader, no recovery, no custom ROMs or images of any variety.

Alright so i had a problem with my phone where the screen would go black and not recover. It seems as though the phone still works in that state, as notifications come through and if i hold the power button i can feel the haptic feedback of Power Off message appearing, etc. Once in a blue moon the phone will seem to recover and then goes back to black.

When it would do that i would do a hard restart, and it would do the boot, show motorola, show DROID animation, and then proceed to turn off - this is not the black screen, but for sure OFF.

Occasionally i'd get it to do the Android is Starting Apps, and after it went through and started them all, it would work just fine... for a little while. Then eventually it would do the black screen thing and i have to do another forced restart. Android is Starting Apps would also finish and the device would turn off, so even that was hit or miss.

I fancy myself fairly savvy and am determined to solve this problem. I could do an Asurion claim but don't want to yet. I am up for a new phone but verizon will never honor my unlimited unthrottled data again. So i want to keep this phone going for as long as possible (at least until asurion stops carrying them completely for a better phone). Because of my unlimited data i use no less than 20GB per month just in music and surfing.

I have done a factory reset, this solves the problem for a while, all apps update, etc and all seems well. But when i download applications, remove bloat, etc, i get the same exact problem, black screens and spotty booting. I'm not stupid and deleting anything other than obvious bloat. IMDB, NFL, Verizon crap, Moto crap, etc.

I figured maybe that factory data was corrupt, so i used the Software Upgrade Assistant and forced another complete restore. Same deal, phone works great, i go to install some apps and remove bloat, next day i get the black screen and boot problems. I didn't even remove a lot of the bloat in this attempt.

Another thing worth mentioning is that i did a third restore using Software Upgrade Assistant and chose to KEEP user data. The phone did not see any change in symptoms and would still refuse to boot. So keeping user data not resolving the problem tells me that maybe user data IS the problem?

So i am on my fourth complete restore in about as many days. Everything is working fine, apps are all updated, i haven't removed a single item of bloat or installed a single app from the play store. All is well... for now.

I'm hesitant to remove bloat and install applications. It seems like one of them must be causing the problem, but i can't say for sure and wouldn't know how to tell. I just know it works immediately after a factory restore. I only use a couple of applications, Spotify, a VPN - PIA, and a reddit is fun, remote desktop to check on the torrent server, and Audible. Pretty harmless stuff!

Anyone see this problem before? Anyone hear of problems with well known apps causing issues? I know i'm not the only person who uses Spotify and Reddit. I don't need the VPN on my phone really, but i don't think that is what is causing the problem, it eats battery so i only turn it on if i need to. Spotify is always running though. But i've never really heard or had an application cause a failure to boot like that. Maybe the app would crash or be unresponsive, but prevent a boot??

I'm thinking maybe i'll install / disable one app per day, and see if i can't trigger the crashing? I'm really not doing anything differently than i have been in the past 2 years.

I'd be down to move to a custom ROM as well, but i'm so out of the loop it would be a pain for me to get back into without a start to finish guide specific to my device. Again my phone right now is Bone Stock.

Hmm that is what i ended up doing last time and was concerned it wouldn't work because you can't actually get subsidized phone prices with 2 year contracts anymore, they all want you to pay a monthly lease!

My sim card right now required the cutting trick, but again, i don't think this method works anymore because you can't get the 2 year contract deals anymore.

Asurion replacement could be my best bet at this point.

But if it was a display fault why does the recovery boot display 100% of the time?
If it was a display fault, wouldn't the Motorola and DROID splash screens also be intermittent? because they ALWAYS display, and the phone ALWAYS works immediately after a clean restore.

Upvote 0
new phones come with sim card pre-installed now. At least in the US. And if you buy the phone outright your data plan is unaffected. Even works if you get a used phone and go to your carrier for a new sim card because your old one isn't compatible!

I had to get a new SIM card when my daughter's HTC One M9 broke, it used the micro size version.

I gave her my spare Samsung S5 which uses the larger standard size SIM...
Verizon gave me a new SIM and programmed it/their records.... for her ph# and all was good again.

Upvote 0
Well yeah but who wants to pay retail or even used prices for a phone? They have gotten crazy expensive.
I will have to do research when it comes time to upgrade. I went into bestbuy and he was certain he could keep my plan the same going to a leased phone, but that would add another 24.99 minimum to my already expensive phone plan - can't justify it at all. When you consider that over the course of 10 years you spend upwards of $12,000 dollars for their service - the phone retailing for $600 a pop seems crazy, they should be dramatically subsidized by the carrier in my opinion.

Asurion denied my claim stating that they only cover loss due to drops, spills, and theft etc. That mine wasn't covered at all. Basically i'd have to say i dropped it.

Went into best buy thinking maybe they knew something about it, but best buy couldn't do anything. I went to the Verizon store in the same mall to grab an old sim card for my razr and spoke to a rep there.

The guy was able to push through my Asurion claim and charged me zero deductible because the phone wasn't broken, saying that is why I have insurance!

So that went really well. He is going to have a new Turbo overnighted to me, I missed the pick-up window so i'll probably get it tomorrow!

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones