• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone stuck on LG screen

spotoonie

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
Hello, I got this problem all of a sudden. Now I must recover my files, I have a really important color note document that I need. Would be also nice if I could recover pictures.

If I turn on my phone it gets stuck at LG logo. I cant enable USB debugging. What could I do? :)

What changed before this happened? That might give us a clue as to what could possibly fix this (e.g. if it happened after an update it's likely that the system software is corrupt, though I doubt a G3 is getting updates still).

You can boot into recovery mode (will involve restarting while pressing some keys - I don't know the combination for LG but it will be easy to find) then clear the cache. That's harmless, and there's an outside chance that this will clear the problem, depending on what exactly is causing it.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do. If it's stuck on the splash screen then you can't use any Android setting because it's not managing to boot Android. So no app can help you either. All you've got is recovery mode, and unless you have modified the phone software and installed a custom recovery all that will let you do is wipe the cache (see above) or do a factory reset (almost certain to destroy the data you wish to recover). If the problem is due to data corruption this may be your only way of getting the phone working again.

(If you have a custom recovery you can probably run ADB when in recovery mode. Stock recoveries don't support an ADB daemon. But I'm guessing you haven't).

You could try reflashing the phone software, but while I'm not familiar with LG on the phones I am familiar with that will also wipe the phone clean and destroy the data, so while that may fix the phone (depending on what's caused this) it is likely to be counter-productive for your main concern.

If you are using Google photos it's possible you have a backup of the pictures. The document is obviously a different matter.

Sorry, but this may not have a good answer.

Reactions: spotoonie
Upvote 0
What changed before this happened? That might give us a clue as to what could possibly fix this (e.g. if it happened after an update it's likely that the system software is corrupt, though I doubt a G3 is getting updates still).

You can boot into recovery mode (will involve restarting while pressing some keys - I don't know the combination for LG but it will be easy to find) then clear the cache. That's harmless, and there's an outside chance that this will clear the problem, depending on what exactly is causing it.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do. If it's stuck on the splash screen then you can't use any Android setting because it's not managing to boot Android. So no app can help you either. All you've got is recovery mode, and unless you have modified the phone software and installed a custom recovery all that will let you do is wipe the cache (see above) or do a factory reset (almost certain to destroy the data you wish to recover). If the problem is due to data corruption this may be your only way of getting the phone working again.

(If you have a custom recovery you can probably run ADB when in recovery mode. Stock recoveries don't support an ADB daemon. But I'm guessing you haven't).

You could try reflashing the phone software, but while I'm not familiar with LG on the phones I am familiar with that will also wipe the phone clean and destroy the data, so while that may fix the phone (depending on what's caused this) it is likely to be counter-productive for your main concern.

If you are using Google photos it's possible you have a backup of the pictures. The document is obviously a different matter.

Sorry, but this may not have a good answer.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I had some problems since I used kangoroot. So that day it was working fine for few hours then just turned off.

I just managed to pull 1 most important file a minute ago, I heated my phone A LOT with hairdryer and it came to android and I was able to take a picture of my colornote document :) Thats what I wanted to recover the most, so Im a bit happier now. Now if there is a chance I would also like to recover pictures and few other things. The heat thing works for really short amount of time as it will turn off if its too hot and freeze if it cools down too much.

If I press hard reset buttons I only have 2 options (hard reset - that will delete everything on phone) and exit (that will exit the menu).
I watched some tutorials where you short the power and flash it but Im not sure if that will delete my stuff or not, I read different opinions on forums.

Upvote 0
Well that's something. I'm surprised that heating was the key: it more common for motherboard overheating to a problem and cooling to be necessary (indeed I had considered suggesting cooling the phone as something to try - without getting it damp, of course!).

The really bad news is that if the booting depends on the temperature that could suggest a hardware problem. If it is then nothing you can do with software will fix it. So if you can get it to boot, copy stuff off immediately (you could even use a file explorer and just copy to a removable sd card if you have trouble copying over USB).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones