• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Photos Deleted

Ripley Sawzen

Apr 14, 2014
Hello,

I was organizing my photos a bit on my phone. I had all my 2020 photos in a folder, and was moving some photos of my cat into the cat folder. I was using Windows file explorer to move the files around. For whatever reason, this was taking FOREVER to do, so I decided it would take less of my time to simply move the files onto my computer, do the organizing using the far superior Windows desktop, then move the files back to the phone. I went to move the 2020 folder onto my desktop. It was only 6GB and should not take more than a few seconds. It was taking longer than I thought it would, and my phone somehow disconnected (This device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected). When I hooked the phone back up, the 2020 folder was gone, and only 1.5GB of files transferred. I looked all over the phone and my computer and the other files are gone. I was about to back them up after organizing them. The last 2 years have been so strange I didn't think to do it sooner.

Is there any way to get my photos back?

This is the reason why you should NEVER move photos . If the MOVE fails, you now have lost what hasn't completely transferred.
Always choose COPY, you won't lose your photos, and you can pick up where it left off.
Unfortunately I don't think you can retrieve the lost photos.
Yeah, you move millions or even billions of files on Windows over the years without a single file getting lost and you kind of expect the engineers at google/samsung to be competent enough to change some file properties without losing them. Or to copy them to the new location and verify they are there before deleting them. Not things that humans should be concerning themselves with, but you can be certain I will never trust my phone again.

Upvote 0
I understand your frustration and I'm sorry for your loss. Copy vs move is a far safer transfer and I use the same procedure on my PC to this day. Once burnt twice shy. Taking advantage of a free backup in a cloud is good insurance as well. Redundancy of multiple backups are too cheap and easy to ignore for precious files. Good luck moving forward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones