• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PLEASE tell me why I shouldn't switch from AT&T to Cricket?

I used my Samsung Galaxy S4 three years under an AT&T contract. I live 20 minutes from Washington DC, and I am within one mile of 3 AT&T towers. As an AT&T customer, I had no issue with reception--could even get 4 or 5 bars in my basement. I never missed phone calls or had any trouble accessing Internet. I was using less than 3GB data per month (rarely accessed WIFI), and AT&T kept adding more free data to my plan, which I wasn't using. I was paying too much despite not using a lot of data, so I asked for a price cut to remain with AT&T (I was no longer under contract). Their price cut offer didn't come close to Cricket's plans and lower prices.

In early 2016 I switched to Cricket using my same phone and porting my phone number. The first thing that happened was the reception bars went down to 2 or 1. I began missing calls--everything was going straight to voicemail. No incoming calls were recorded on the call log. Even when I had three bars on 4G LTE, calls were going straight to voicemail. Every once in a rare while, when I had 4 reception bars on 4G LTE, my phone would ring, and the incoming call would be recorded in the call log. I could not access the Internet either with ongoing poor reception. Hours on the phone with Cricket Support (or having nearby Cricket dealers telling me to come into the store) did not resolve the issue.
One support dude had me change the phone numbers (voicemail) on call forwarding and the Access Point Names under Mobile Networks--neither worked. Obviously the problem was with 4G LTE.

I had to figure it out on my own by observing my phone and searching forums on the Internet. Issue: my Samsung phone on the Cricket network was automatically set to 4G LTE ONLY. Based on my Samsung phone and the Cricket-AT&T network, I was unable to toggle to another network (3G, etc.). I downloaded apps that were supposed to allow me to toggle, but my phone would not allow it. So I went into the code from the keypad: *#*# 4636 #*#*, Device Info, Set preferred network type. I tried both GSM auto (PRL) and GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)--even though CDMA did not apply. By selecting either option, my phone consistently shows 3 to 5 bars, receives phone calls (even on 3 bars), and is able to access the Internet.

Now that I have figured out how to get my phone to work OFF the 4G LTE network, a new problem has begun: I keep getting switched back to the 4G LTE network and facing the same functionality issues. I don't know why I keep getting switched back to a network that doesn't work with my phone. I have not reset my phone or done any software updates. So I'm stuck without a permanent fix.

I am wondering if my phone required a factory reset (which I would hate to do) when switching from AT&T to Cricket. Maybe one of the obscure settings didn't switch over to Cricket. I never noticed as an AT&T customer whether my phone was switching among networks, but Cricket stays on 4G LTE regardless (unless I reset the code). I am wondering if there are any other network issues with Cricket besides throttling data speeds slower than what AT&T plan members get. Same phone, same locations, same usage as before with AT&T, so what gives? Any suggestions? If I can't get this resolved soon, I'll have to take my phone back to expensive AT&T. It looks like maybe you get what you pay for. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used my Samsung Galaxy S4 three years under an AT&T contract. I live 20 minutes from Washington DC, and I am within one mile of 3 AT&T towers. As an AT&T customer, I had no issue with reception--could even get 4 or 5 bars in my basement. I never missed phone calls or had any trouble accessing Internet. I was using less than 3GB data per month (rarely accessed WIFI), and AT&T kept adding more free data to my plan, which I wasn't using. I was paying too much despite not using a lot of data, so I asked for a price cut to remain with AT&T (I was no longer under contract). Their price cut offer didn't come close to Cricket's plans and lower prices.

In early 2016 I switched to Cricket using my same phone and porting my phone number. The first thing that happened was the reception bars went down to 2 or 1. I began missing calls--everything was going straight to voicemail. No incoming calls were recorded on the call log. Even when I had three bars on 4G LTE, calls were going straight to voicemail. Every once in a rare while, when I had 4 reception bars on 4G LTE, my phone would ring, and the incoming call would be recorded in the call log. I could not access the Internet either with ongoing poor reception. Hours on the phone with Cricket Support (or having nearby Cricket dealers telling me to come into the store) did not resolve the issue.
One support dude had me change the phone numbers (voicemail) on call forwarding and the Access Point Names under Mobile Networks--neither worked. Obviously the problem was with 4G LTE.

I had to figure it out on my own by observing my phone and searching forums on the Internet. Issue: my Samsung phone on the Cricket network was automatically set to 4G LTE ONLY. Based on my Samsung phone and the Cricket-AT&T network, I was unable to toggle to another network (3G, etc.). I downloaded apps that were supposed to allow me to toggle, but my phone would not allow it. So I went into the code from the keypad: *#*# 4636 #*#*, Device Info, Set preferred network type. I tried both GSM auto (PRL) and GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)--even though CDMA did not apply. By selecting either option, my phone consistently shows 3 to 5 bars, receives phone calls (even on 3 bars), and is able to access the Internet.

Now that I have figured out how to get my phone to work OFF the 4G LTE network, a new problem has begun: I keep getting switched back to the 4G LTE network and facing the same functionality issues. I don't know why I keep getting switched back to a network that doesn't work with my phone. I have not reset my phone or done any software updates. So I'm stuck without a permanent fix.

I am wondering if my phone required a factory reset (which I would hate to do) when switching from AT&T to Cricket. Maybe one of the obscure settings didn't switch over to Cricket. I never noticed as an AT&T customer whether my phone was switching among networks, but Cricket stays on 4G LTE regardless (unless I reset the code). I am wondering if there are any other network issues with Cricket besides throttling data speeds slower than what AT&T plan members get. Same phone, same locations, same usage as before with AT&T, so what gives? Any suggestions? If I can't get this resolved soon, I'll have to take my phone back to expensive AT&T. It looks like maybe you get what you pay for. Any suggestions?

I am thinking about switching from AT&T to Cricket and so your story interests me. I'm curious - have you tried another cell phone to see if that's the problem? Is the Galaxy S4 locked to AT&T's network or is it unlocked? If it's locked, you can likely request a free unlock code from at&t at this site - https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ - which may help you access other features on your phone to allow it to switch between networks more easily.

Look forward to hearing back from you to find if you've ever been able to solve your issue.

Upvote 0
I went from At&T to Google Fi (because I bought a Nexus 5x and there was a rebate involved) and now I'm in the process of switching to cricket.

Maybe this is the sort of thing that is super obvious to everyone except for me, but if you plan on porting your number over you must do it at the time of activation. You cannot do it after the fact like you can with every other carrier. What I had planned to do is try is out for a while to test out coverage and speeds and then port my real number over.

Well, you can't do that. You have to order a new sim with a port and then cancel your existing one. And, oh yeah, since you prepay for a month at a time there is no prorated refund or anything on cancellation. So I effectively wasted some $47 or whatever assuming I can port my number after the activation.

Anyway, now I'm weary about migrating over to cricket learning about being a second class citizen to AT&T. I guess I'll just have to test and see how it is over a few months or so in my area and decide to stay or move again. I'd probably just bite the bullet and go back to AT&T and pay their rates.

Upvote 0
I use Cricket, and I like it. BUT, be aware that it uses the ATT GO network, not the more complete ATT network. Check the coverage maps at ATT. You'll see they are different. That's something no one talks about.
This statement is a little confusing.. what Cricket actually uses is the AT&T Native Network, which is the same as GoPhone.. you get access to the entire AT&T owned network.. the only thing you don't get access to are the AT&T roaming partners.. AT&T doesn't really need roaming partners or have them in most places.. just a few very low populated places out west is all.

So yes you do get to use the ENTIRE ATT network, just not their roam partners..

You do get free international roaming though in Canada and Mexico.. plus several very inexpensive options to roam in other countries.. actually Crickets roaming is a very good deal compared to what I paid T-Mobile to roam in Ecuador several years ago! Over $20 for about 5 text messages and to reply a few emails.. Cricket is much cheaper internationally if they have the countries you need

Upvote 0
I use the new Cricket , I have the pro plan for 60 dollars a month total . I get 20 gigs of high speed data per month , as far as speed , I burn youtube up no problems at all , I only use my phone for internet access works great . I recently downloaded software and drivers for a nvidia video card , downloaded it to my pc , worked great , I really like the new cricket on at&t , where I live it smokes verizon and all others.

You are full of crap, I have the Pro plan and its not 20GB, its 10GB, and quite frankly it sucks, I used up all my data and I think Cricket is full of $hit with the supposed 128kb throttle, because hardly nothing works, I have a little network monitor addon and at best its 15-20kb/s, its horrible, but whenever you go to a speedtest it shows about 128kb, which makes me think that maybe they are allowing that speed to those known speedtest servers but limiting everywhere else, I figure its possible and wouldn't be surprised to see AT&T do something like that.

But unless Cricket upped the 10GB to 20GB without me knowing, its $60 for the Pro with 10GB Highspeed, but in all, its still not worth it. Just my only option in rural area

Upvote 0
Well chief you are wrong , when I signed up for cricket in my area they were offering 20 gigs of LTE data for 60 dollars a month , it's actually 55 dollars with auto pay , so mabey you should do a little research before calling me a liar , you don't know as much as you think , sent using my Nexus 6 and my 20 gigs a month , thank you for your knowledgeable reply.

Upvote 0
You are full of crap, I have the Pro plan and its not 20GB, its 10GB, and quite frankly it sucks, I used up all my data and I think Cricket is full of $hit with the supposed 128kb throttle, because hardly nothing works, I have a little network monitor addon and at best its 15-20kb/s, its horrible, but whenever you go to a speedtest it shows about 128kb, which makes me think that maybe they are allowing that speed to those known speedtest servers but limiting everywhere else, I figure its possible and wouldn't be surprised to see AT&T do something like that.

But unless Cricket upped the 10GB to 20GB without me knowing, its $60 for the Pro with 10GB Highspeed, but in all, its still not worth it. Just my only option in rural area
He's full of what???

I suggest you try being a little nicer in the future, especially since you called someone a liar without knowing any facts.
Have a great day [emoji217]

Upvote 0
Well chief you are wrong , when I signed up for cricket in my area they were offering 20 gigs of LTE data for 60 dollars a month , it's actually 55 dollars with auto pay , so mabey you should do a little research before calling me a liar , you don't know as much as you think , sent using my Nexus 6 and my 20 gigs a month , thank you for your knowledgeable reply.

Do research? I've had them for over a year. I don't need to do research.

This is directly copied from their site, notice the red circles, if you get 20, apparently, I'm getting ripped off.

upload picture

He's full of what???

I suggest you try being a little nicer in the future, especially since you called someone a liar without knowing any facts.
Have a great day [emoji217]

See above! That is all the "FACTS" I need.. And when do people get so butt hurt over being called full of crap? There are way worse things that could have been said.

Upvote 0
Do research? I've had them for over a year. I don't need to do research.

This is directly copied from their site, notice the red circles, if you get 20, apparently, I'm getting ripped off.

upload picture

See above! That is all the "FACTS" I need.. And when do people get so butt hurt over being called full of crap? There are way worse things that could have been said.
Cricket had a promotion where they offered new customers 20 gigs of data instead of 10 for a limited time. That promotion ended a long while back but those customers still get 20 gigs of data.

Instead of just telling someone they are full of crap, how about ask a couple questions first?

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I use a gsm unlocked tmobile note 4 on cricket and since it's unlocked the mobile hot spot still works. I'm also on the $65 unlimited data plan and been using 50+ gigs of data a month.. 8mb speeds have been able to stream YouTube at 1080p and sumtimes 1440p seamless, very rarely have a buffer.. I use auto pay also.. and had no problems getting LTE service. My complaint is that when making voice calls it drops to 4g.. and I only get like 1or2 bars of 4g service but get 3 to full of lte all day.. cricket needs to get voice over LTE soon, then they will b the best by far hands down.. and maybe bump there speed cap up to 12mb.. 8mb is still about DSL speed though... I still got 10 days left on my bill this month...
627b6e4ee710c24267bffdb2b969f222.jpg

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
My only input is you guys need to demand better prices. I had an idea that North American prices weren't great before moving to Korea but about $60 (including a phone on a plan) gets you 10gb a month here with rollover of up to 10gb and the lte speeds here are unreal.
Yea Korea is getting the new LTE enhanced or
4G+ I think they call it.. probably be another 2 or 3 years before USA gers it, the networks are milking the old technology, we all know they make enough to do the upgrades.. Korea is getting 70+mb download speeds on average.. that would be so awesome,, I can't wait!!!

Or LTE ADVANCED 4G+ I ment

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones