• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Potential developer

hpe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2008
Hi,

I'm a developer and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to develop apps for iPhone or Android.

iPhone certainly have the bigger market share due to it's headstart. However, I'm not a fan of the restrictions Apple put me through nor that they make me develop in Objective C.

Android has the benefit of letting me use Java and not being hindered as to what I choose to develop.

That sort of ties them both in my book. What will tip the scale would be: how does the Android Marketplace work? I mean terms and conditions. Will they handle billing? If so, how much will they charge? Apple does and they charge 30%. If Google will provide the billing solution, I'm all game. However, if they make me sort that out myself, ie handle credit card purchases, paypal and the like, I'll go with Apple.

I tried searching but didn't find the answer, anyone knowledgeable?

/hpe

Besides the fact that Android Market will exist, it seems like somewhat of a mystery as to HOW it will work.

Personally, I think Android will be the more exciting and flexible platform to develop on and I think once more Android phones come out they will easily outpace market share of the iPhone.

If billing is your main concern though, I don't think anyone has an answer yet.

Upvote 0
As in pricing from my understanding the first phone will be 189.99 from T-Mobile and then you pay for the 2-year contract. GPS, Motion Sensing, 3mp camera, beats the Iphone without even going into pricing. I sure hope the market for it picks up. Yeah from what I've researched it will be a very flexible platform to develop on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones