• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power button "stuck"

enigmab17

Lurker
Jul 13, 2012
Hi All

Hoping someone can provide some insight into a possible solution for this.

Got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 a few days ago as a replacement phone through phone insurance (replaced another nexus which was damaged).
I've had it...3 days, and it's already developed another problem!

Basically it would appear that the power button is "stuck" on. What I mean by this is that you can still press the button, but it does nothing. If I take out the battery and put it back in the phone switches back on immediately.
Hence why I am saying it is like it is "stuck" :)

It's not been dropped, it's not gotten wet, or anything like that in the last 3 days, phone insurance will send me out a replacement in 2 weeks (none in stock at the moment)...just wondering if there is anything I can do in the mean time?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Shane

[Update]
Tried factory reset...no change

I had a "lockup" a few weeks back. Nothing would work. After taking a picture it froze. After about an hour and battery nearly drained, it fixed itself. There is a tiny hole below the mic I guess for a soft reset. None the less I was helpless.

Holding the power button is the reset. The hole is the mic.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dumb, this isn't the Nexus 7 forum.

Upvote 0
Hi Enigma. Did you have any success with any self-solutions?

I have the exact same problem as you. It seems that the phone is behaving as though the power button is permanently pressed and as a result, I am unable to turn on/off the screen and as soon as I put the battery in, the phone powers on.

I did drop my phone 1-2 months prior to this happening which resulted in a cracked screen and I accidentally tore off the volume up/down cable from the motherboard when I was looking into replacing the cracked screen.
However the power cable was fine and no damage had been made to this.

Have tried factory reset and cleaning the cable terminals and the problem still exists.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones