• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with moving programs to external SD card.

Tsiyeria

Lurker
May 25, 2013
Okay, background. I'm running Android 4.1.2, and my phone has 5GB of internal memory. I enjoy language learning apps and a few games, and predictably enough, now I have the "not enough memory" error. Simple fix, right? I bought a 16GB SD card, plugged it into the phone...and now I can't use it.

I've spent at least a couple of hours trying to find out how to move apps to the external SD card, and I can't figure this out. I've been on with my tech savvy friend, and I'm on with T-Mobile Live Chat right now (and they are NO help).

Here's my problems with the solutions I've found on the internet.

-On my Application Manager screen, when I tap which apps I would like to move to my SD card, there is no "Move to SD card" button. It's not gray, it's just NOT THERE.
-I have seen (on this forum) where someone said to go to the Storage page, and change the default read/write memory option. That option does not exist on my page.
-I tried downloading app2sd, but it doesn't have the "Move to SD card" button either.

Is there any way at all to handle this? I looked at the phone manual online, and was able to change the default memory options for the camera, voice recorder, and internet, but that's all the manual has to say. The Live Chat guy said I need to call tech support for advanced troubleshooting, but I really don't want to spend half an hour on the phone with tech support to find out that they can't help me either.

Is there actually a fix for this, or do I just need to move the SD card into a device that can actually use it, and resign myself to deleting apps every time one of them needs an update?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones