• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Purchase S22 from AT&T or from another vendor?

Loco95

Lurker
Jan 29, 2023
I had to purchase a new cell phone. I went to an AT&T store and their price for a new S22 was about $150 more than for an identical, unlocked new phone from a non-AT&T online vendor. I was told by a sales person at the AT&T store that any even unlocked S22 purchased from anyone but AT&T would not and could not work at all ever on the AT&T network. Is this correct?

no that is not correct. if you get a carrier unlocked phone, you have the ability to join any network you want. all you will need is a sim card from ATT.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I set up a device if I didn’t buy it from AT&T?
Yes, you can bring a device that you bought somewhere else. It must be unlocked and compatible with our wireless network Not sure if your device is compatible? Check your device

We can help set up your device. Choose your plan type to get started:
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1008711/

Upvote 0
But she seemed so nice... By the way, I didn't believe her!
When I bought my first mobile salesperson told me that the advantage of the Vodafone network over Cellnet was that Vodafone used GSM as its standard, which was widely used, while Cellnet used their own system
. Of course all UK (and all European) digital mobile phones were GSM-based, and no other technology was licensed for use in those bands. So I explicitly asked him whether he was really telling me that Cellnet had gone to the expense of designing their own, incompatible system and getting licensing approval, (something I knew was false), and he told me yes, that was the case.

I suspect that he'd cooked up this theory because Vodafone used the GSM logo on their packaging back then and others didn't. But it was an early lesson that salespeople don't always have a clue about what they are selling (and that the clueless ones will often show more conviction in speaking their nonsense than those who know more).

Upvote 0
Vodafone used GSM as its standard, which was widely used, while Cellnet used their own system
And here in the states that's the way it is and a lot of folks get bad/wrong/misleading information and end up getting wrong phones etc. Sure, 3G/CDMA is gone and it's all about LTE/4g/5g/mmwave/this wave that wave but bands matter and you can't just buy a phone without a bit of research.

Upvote 0
Look for a manufacturer unlocked device instead of a carrier unlocked device.

Do some simple research to be sure that the device covers the frequencies required for your prefered carrier.

That way the device will work without any hassles, and also will most likely work with most other carriers as well.

A carrier unlocked device will only work with the frequencies that said carrier uses.
A manufacturer unlocked device works with many different frequencies.

Yes, it may cost a bit more, but it sure is nice to know that I can drop in a SIM from any carrier and have a working device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones