• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question on Billing Cycle

Geese1

Mar 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
With Verizon increasing their pricing for grandfathered unlimited data plan users, I think it has finally pushed me over the edge into switching plans, and I've pretty much decided on Straight Talk.

One question I did have was on how payments and billing cycle worked.

Say for example, my payment cycle starts on the 15th of the month. If I go ahead and pay for a new month on the 10th, does it still run the course of the current cycle before switching over to the new one, or does the new cycle start right away? The reason I ask is because someone at my old job who has Straight Talk indicated to me that your billing cycle starts the day you make your payment, regardless of how long is left on your current one. This didn't seem to make sense to me, but then I do know some companies are like that: my wife's Sirius XM is that way, but at least they credit you for the unused time, whereas he didn't mention if Straight Talk did. He always waited until the exact day that his payment was due with S.T. before making his new payment, but I'd rather not cut it that close if I don't have to.

Any insight into this would be most appreciated.

You can add a service card asap "Right Now" or add it to your reserve. As you can see in my screen shot I add mine to my reserve with lots of time to spare before my service ends. I have added two cards in the past to my reserve. Service plan cycle is 30 days. added a few more pics I just added a service plan to the one account few seconds ago. Mjr Cell.png Screenshot_2015-11-07-10-53-56.png Screenshot_2015-11-07-10-17-01.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
ljfnky said:
You can add a service card asap "Right Now" or add it to your reserve. As you can see in my screen shot I add mine to my reserve with lots of time to spare before my service ends. I have added two cards in the past to my reserve. Service plan cycle is 30 days.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that I don't have to wait to add funds to my account. Guess I'll go ahead and pick up an activation kit tonight when we do our weekly shopping at Wal-Mart.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that I don't have to wait to add funds to my account. Guess I'll go ahead and pick up an activation kit tonight when we do our weekly shopping at Wal-Mart.

Make sure they actually have the kits, when I went to one walmart they didn't have any activation kits, I had to go to a different walmart to get mine.

Upvote 0
Make sure they actually have the kits, when I went to one walmart they didn't have any activation kits, I had to go to a different walmart to get mine.

Yeah, mine had them, although they were more expensive than ordering online. I didn't buy it at first, but when I came home and priced it out ordering directly from Straight Talk, the difference was negligible, so I went back later that night and picked up the kit from the store.

Been on the service for a couple of weeks now, and so far no complaints. Porting my old number from Verizon was easy, and getting the phone activated on Straight Talk went off without a hitch. I also discussed the billing with my wife, and we decided to go with the auto-billing option. Normally, we don't like ever using this option for anything, but there's a slight discount when you do this through Straight Talk, and we just tied it to a secondary credit card so that it's easy to dispute if there are any billing errors (and this way the company won't have access to our checking/savings accounts).

Upvote 0
I mean the part I enjoy is the lack of contract. I had a little difficulty since I ported my number from Google Voice, but I have been on it for 2 weeks now and it has been pretty nice so far. :)

Glad you are having the same experience!

Yeah, I was trying to hang on to my unlimited data plan with Verizon for as long as I could, even though I barely use any data (less than a gig a month in most cases), but it was nice to have for a "just in case" scenario.

However, when they decided to increase the cost by $20 a month, that was it for me. Even with our employee discount, it would still be costing us close to $100 a month for a single line, 400 minutes, and unlimited texts. That was just far more than I was willing to pay. A number of people where I used to work had switched over to Straight Talk, and they loved it, so after doing a little more research, I decided to take the plunge. I figure if I don't like it, I can opt out at any time as I'm not under any contract.

So, as you said, so far, so good!

Reactions: Digital Controller
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones