• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

My electric in Tennessee goes through some real dense forest areas and a high wind and a broken tree branch can bring the power down. The electric company does have tracers on their power lines so they know exactly where a break in the line is. The longest power outage was 3 hours, but they are normally not longer than 2 hour.

The electric company is also planning on running fiber for the internet, which is odd for an electrical company doing that. I found it hard to believe my address was listed as getting fiber internet late 2024 or early 2025.

Upvote 0
I have to wonder if that's real fiber optic internet or internet over powerline... which is a really old technology.

I'm very surprised that we never lost power during or after the blizzard. TVA had urgently requested that customers minimize power use by turning their thermostats down 2 degrees and not running large appliances until after the peak demand period was over. I set our thermostat down and waited to dry a load of laundry I'd started until after 10 AM. I know not everyone would comply and help, but enough of us did our part to prevent rolling blackouts. Kudos, TVA!

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I have to wonder if that's real fiber optic internet or internet over powerline... which is a really old technology.

I'm very surprised that we never lost power during or after the blizzard. TVA had urgently requested that customers minimize power use by turning their thermostats down 2 degrees and not running large appliances until after the peak demand period was over. I set our thermostat down and waited to dry a load of laundry I'd started until after 10 AM. I know not everyone would comply and help, but enough of us did our part to prevent rolling blackouts. Kudos, TVA!

Good question. It sounds like it will be real fiber. I would think it would be fiber to a distribution point and then copper to each unit.

I dealt with fiber a couple of times. Multimode and Single mode. You have to have extremely good eye site to deal with the latest single mode 50 micron fiber. It like dealing with a hair strand.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Wednesday the 20th I received a text from my carrier saying that my phone bill was overdue. Checking my records I find that their check was mailed the 12th. I ran to my local store and paid the bill again. Where is my original payment? I do realize that most everyone pays their bills with an auto draft of some sort. My wife pays the bills and insists on old school paper billing and payments. The postal service is getting more difficult to trust as time passes.

Upvote 0
Wednesday the 20th I received a text from my carrier saying that my phone bill was overdue. Checking my records I find that their check was mailed the 12th. I ran to my local store and paid the bill again. Where is my original payment? I do realize that most everyone pays their bills with an auto draft of some sort. My wife pays the bills and insists on old school paper billing and payments. The postal service is getting more difficult to trust as time passes.

I had the same problem with Home Depot and wrote about it here, so I don't use my Home Depot credit card anymore. It's either the mail service or the processing service they use to process checks getting behind.

We're doing everything right, but getting blamed for everything going wrong. It sucks!

U.S. Post Office

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Anybody know why my bar thingy where I normally can post GIF's and Emojis isn't working?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128_091149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_091149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Though they need spring maintenance, I fired up my mowers today. I ran the Toro Grandstand across the leaves in my back yard. They all fell late and after I was laid up. Not that I'm healed now lol but healthy enough to ride a mower without having another heart attack. :) Man it felt fantastic to be doing something I love.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones