• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Yeah that's why I only buy secondhand these days. I haven't purchased anything new since the Z Flip 4 (and that was planned to be the last phone I buy).

Of course Samsung now makes many of their consumer products in Vietnam. Because labour costs there are lower than China. Apple is moving iPhone production to India, again because of cheaper labour than China.

Sadly I still was a fool in 2014 and figured 'Motorola' was a U.S. company. I still think it's unethical, illegal and deceiving to have once-great American names obtained by Chinese crap companies who only seek to run them into the mud by making them cheap garbage. Where was the demand for that? Just make up your own name and sell that. If it's Lenovo just call it Lenovo. What does someone gain by deceiving a customer by calling it a Motorola when it ain't? Not only is that false advertising, it's also a violation of U.S. trademark law. Trademarks are supposed to protect companies against illegal seizure from foreign or pirate companies.

That's capitalism for you. :thumbsupdroid:

US company becomes unprofitable for whatever reasons, shareholders are not happy, chapter 7 & 11 bankruptcies, the trademarks and all IP rights are legally sold to the highest bidders. With RCA, Kodak, Polaroid, and Zenith being classic examples.

BTW it's not only US trademarks that are now on cheap garbage. Some once noble Japanese marques are now used to sell cheap tat. Sansui, Akai, Nakamichi, JVC, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having to stop to use the rest room
dumb and dumber sudden realization GIF

Reactions: joe71
Upvote 0
Okay I know most of you are thinking how is stopping the rest room grinding his gear, key word "stop", for me stopping to use the rest room can end up costing me time and money. Let's say I need to go bad I have been holding it for hours. The next rest area is 80 miles away but in two miles there is truck stop. :thumbsupdroid: I get to the truck stop, the place is packed, no where to park, so I pull up behind another driver who is fueling, I rush in use the bathroom, maybe grab a cup of coffee. I get back to the truck, the other driver gets done fueling and pulls forward and parks, OK they are going into get their fuel receipt maybe grab lunch or breakfast. There is unwritten rule after fueling and you pull forward you have ten to fifteen minutes to handle your business. Now normally I will look for an empty fuel lane to pull through, park use the bathroom and then be gone, I have parked, gone to the rest room and have been back on the highway in five minutes :D
However in this scenario (which happens 90% of the time :thumbsdowndroid::maddroid:) the driver in front of me has went jimmy Hofia and I have someone behind me so I can't back out. Too complicated matter some self entitled four wheeler has parked where they shouldn't and now they are creating a problem. Finally some thirty minutes later the other driver returns .
I begin making my way through the truck stop parking lot I have to slowly maneuver around trucks and trailers that have created their own parking spaces. I make a final left or right turn, the exit is in view, two other drivers a head of me and we are sitting still :thinking: . A minute, two minutes, five minutes passes, there is no traffic that I can see stopping the first driver. As I am sitting there I see the drivers in front of me get out of their trucks and start looking at something, eventually there is a crowd of people standing at the exit staring, video taping something so now I am both :thinking::rolleyes::maddroid: because I have been at this truck stop for almost an hour.
Whats the hold up? A car wreck, and it's a simple fender bender, but because one of the involved parties is young, beautiful and physically appealing people are stopping to rubber neck. Finally the police arrive, then the fire department, then a tow truck and roughly two hours after I stopped I am back on the road, I have just lost roughly a hundred miles.
Oh and guess what
Yep I need to use the bathroom again
:D

Upvote 0
Reading different threads on this site, like the one on crock pot cooking, I missed out on corn beef and cabbage for st. Patrick day because I wasn't home
Corned beef and cabbage is far to good for only one meal a year in mid March. You will have to talk your wife into the fine meal on one of you home visits.

Upvote 0
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 that is starting to show it's age. It has likely been the best vehicle I've ever owned but just recently it has little nagging problems due to it's age. Today I spent some time addressing a couple of problems that were really bugging me. I store my backpack blower in the back up the pickup that has a topper. I have to get it out after every lawn I mow. The tailgate has recently all but stopped unlatching. Also the tailgate has an added plastic piece at the top so that the topper has something to seal to and it falls off just about every time you open the tailgate. Today I put multiple sheet metal screws though the added tailgate piece to secure it and took the access panel off of the tailgate and oiled all of the moving parts of the latch system. Five dollars worth of screws and an hour or so labor and I think I have those two problems solved. I wish it was that cheap and easy to fix the cruise control switch and recharge the AC. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a '13 of the same truck, though since February it is being used by my son. I've had to oil the tailgate a few times myself, though I haven't had the problem with topper. I've had the cruise control problem happen twice. It freezes in operation, then just quits and becomes unresponsive. :mad:

That said, it gave me 10 years of service, and should get my son through college, so I have very few complaints.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I have a '13 of the same truck, though since February it is being used by my son. I've had to oil the tailgate a few times myself, though I haven't had the problem with topper. I've had the cruise control problem happen twice. It freezes in operation, then just quits and becomes unresponsive. :mad:

That said, it gave me 10 years of service, and should get my son through college, so I have very few complaints.
I really can't complain about the truck. It has a lot of miles on it and has never let me down. My cruise works if you can turn it on. For the past couple of years it has required multiple taps on the button or a combination of those buttons to turn it on. Once on, it has set and held that speed flawlessly. Just recently nothing I've tried has worked. I believe the problem to be that set of switches and have contemplated taking some compressed air to them. I suspect it is much like the tailgate and has gathered an amazing amount of fine sawdust through the years.

I bet your son is proud to drive your truck. I have always thought that they were fine looking vehicles. A next door neighbor to a lawn customer owns the very same 14 truck. He has had nothing but great luck with his as well. Dodge got that truck right and I bet it will serve your son well.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Illinois auto insurance has gone up 22%. They blame it on repair cost, but the problem is repair cost have not went up 22%
It might be time to shop your insurance provider. I've had the same provider since I started driving. My son tells me that's insanely stupid. He changes companies often and swears it saves him money.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones