• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real deal? O2 phone contract

MrBernie

Lurker
Nov 26, 2019
Hi all,

My wife told me she had a call this morning from O2 offering her a deal for a Samsung S9plus for £22 per month for 18 month contract with no upfront cost for the phone. Neither of us are with O2, we both use EE so were not existing customers, but I dont know, it just seems ridiculously cheap to me, my old sim only contract was 20 per month. She signed up to it but we are still waiting for the confirmation email, no money has been taken from her bank yet.
I am mainly worried that shes just given her bank details out and they might not really be O2. I looked online and it looks like the phone is still worth a few hundred pounds so cant see how theyve done it this cheap. Anyone else get rang with this offer?

Cheers,

MrB

Hi all,

My wife told me she had a call this morning from O2 offering her a deal for a Samsung S9plus for £22 per month for 18 month contract with no upfront cost for the phone. Neither of us are with O2, we both use EE so were not existing customers, but I dont know, it just seems ridiculously cheap to me, my old sim only contract was 20 per month. She signed up to it but we are still waiting for the confirmation email, no money has been taken from her bank yet.
I am mainly worried that shes just given her bank details out and they might not really be O2. I looked online and it looks like the phone is still worth a few hundred pounds so cant see how theyve done it this cheap. Anyone else get rang with this offer?

Cheers,

MrB

urgh shes just sent me this link, looks like it was a fake offer https://scam-numbers.co.uk/Number/01612419767/
better get on the phone to the bank.
Well if anyone else gets this offer, dont take it guys.

Upvote 0
It's almost certainly not O2 calling. I used to get such calls from people claiming to be Orange and offering me upgrade deals (my phone number was in a number range originally assigned to Orange, so it would be an obvious guess for a cold-caller to try). But when I told them that I knew they were not Orange they'd admit that they were some random phone shop but claim that "they represented Orange" (which meant nothing more than they sold Orange phones). So best case is it's one of these people, hoping to make a bit of commission from selling a new contract with an end of stock handset.

(No, I never bought from them. I'm awkward that way: if someone cold calls me they not only don't get a sale from that call, but I make sure I never buy from the company ever. And I let them know it - I've zero tolerance for direct marketing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones