• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rearrange order of watch faces

thaKing

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
Lex Vegas
Ok, I'll admit before I get started, this is nitpicking. I had to reset the network settings on my phone. Little did I know that it resets my watch 4 classic (factory reset). Before I changed my network on my phone the faces on my watch were ordered left to right. What I mean is, if I long press on the face and get presented with the list of faces to choose from, the newest installed face is all the way to the right. Oldest left, newest right. I got used to this. Now, after the reset as I'm setting up my watch again, it's the reverse - oldest on the right and newest on the left. Seems counterintuitive to me, especially since I was used to the old way. How do I order my faces? I've gone through the menu and don't see anything (maybe I'm overlooking something).

I'm making an educated guess here, so if if it's completely off the wall, don't get mad. :p During the reset, did it automatically reinstall the faces installed on your phone? If so, that quite possibly happened in a random order or from latest to oldest (my gut tells me random order just from my observations of resetting android devices over the years) and your watch is displaying the faces in the new order they were installed. That sounds arcane and annoying, but some things about Wear are just that, like adjusting network settings requiring a factory reset. :mad:

It may be as simple (read: stupid) as uninstalling the faces and reinstalling them in the order you want.

PS, stuff like this is why I gave up on Wear and went back to a traditional watch. :p

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm making an educated guess here, so if if it's completely off the wall, don't get mad. :p During the reset, did it automatically reinstall the faces installed on your phone? If so, that quite possibly happened in a random order or from latest to oldest (my gut tells me random order just from my observations of resetting android devices over the years) and your watch is displaying the faces in the new order they were installed. That sounds arcane and annoying, but some things about Wear are just that, like adjusting network settings requiring a factory reset. :mad:

It may be as simple (read: stupid) as uninstalling the faces and reinstalling them in the order you want.

PS, stuff like this is why I gave up on Wear and went back to a traditional watch. :p
After the reset the only faces were the default faces that come with it. I had to download the faces I previously had, my favorites. It's these new faces that are appearing on the left now instead of the right. Very weird.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Is this in the wearable app on your phone or the watch itself?

In the app there is an option for either most recent first or a custom order. I am not sure how it affects the order on the watch and can't check it at the moment.
The order I was concerned about is on the watch itself. And I found the dropdown in the wearable app - recent first or custom. I changed it to Custom and now the newest are at the end! Many thanks!! I don't remember making this change previously but obviously I did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones