• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recover Apps from numbered files in LOST DIR

All the Apps that I had saved to a SanDisk Ultra micro SD card are now not accessible and the LOST DIR is full of numbered files. Is there anyway to recover these Apps? I don't have documents or pictures saved to the card. Any advice GREATLY appreciated. My daughter is heartbroken that her Minecraft creations are lost. Many thanks.

Just turned device on one day and all the icons for Apps on the card were "grayed out". The files are all there in the LOST DIR folder on the card but have numbers rather than names. The card was not backed up.

You moved the apps to the SD rather than keeping them internal?

Sounds like the SD took a dump and corrupted itself possibly. SDs can and do fail occasionally.

Upvote 0
Only moved some Apps such as games. Card is a SanDisk Ultra. Lesson learnt by the look of it.

For information, with apps, games, and their associated data tends to do a lot of reading and writing cycles when they're running. And SDs only have a finite number of read/write cycles before they fail, and they literally wear out. Running apps from them can accelerate failure, and shorten their life. They're really only intended for your photos, videos, music etc, which is not usually constant reading and writing data.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
For information, with apps, games, and their associated data tends to do a lot of reading and writing cycles when they're running. And SDs only have a finite number of read/write cycles before they fail, and they literally wear out. Running apps from them can accelerate failure, and shorten their life. They're really only intended for your photos, videos, music etc, which is not usually constant reading and writing data.

Thanks very much for the info. Was not aware of that. Will be guided accordingly in the future. Cheers.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones