• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY/ROOT] Special surprise inside! CWM 5.0.2.8 Appeal

Motorhead1991

Android Expert
Mar 7, 2012
Pasco, WA
Quoted from my official release post:
Motorhead said:
I, NOR AA51 IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

After numerous flashes, most of which failed, CWM is finally functional on the Appeal!

NOTE: This is still technically a test image, so expect glitches

You can use both the Home soft key and/or the Return/Enter key on the qwerty keyboard to select... I recommend using the qwerty enter key, the Home soft key requires you to hit it twice or hold it in, if you tap it quick once and your screen goes blank dont panic, you just need to hit home again to execute the command, we believe this is a key mapping issue where home and camera key share the same space, and the double-tap is due to the autofocus function of a physical camera button(which this phone doesn't have) it will be fixed at a later date, but for now enjoy your freshly rooted Samsung Appeal with CWM, another AA51 First, and dont forget to support the developers and donate! -- KRaZy WaKa

CWM 5.0.2.8 Appeal (see changelog)

To install:
1. Download the file and place it in an easy to find location
2. Download Odin3 v1.85
3. Launch Odin and boot your Appeal into download mode
4. Using the original cable, or a known working one, flash the recovery image to the device. (NOTE: Recovery image goes in PDA slot and MAKE SURE repartition is unchecked)
5. Reboot to recovery

Appeal Root

NOTE: Requires CWM 5.0.2.8 Appeal to be installed

Appeal Root update.zip

To install:

1. Download the zip and copy it to your SD card

2. Shut the device down and boot to recovery mode (T + power)

3. Choose "apply update from sd card"

4. Reboot

- KRaZy WaKa for being the test pilot for so many flashes

- mccabet for showing us around the Ace+ CWM and enabling a boot.img pull

- utkanos (CyanogenMod) for helping me figure out small bugs in the recovery image

- blackburner (github) for giving me a base device tree to work from.

Original thread:[RECOVERY/ROOT] ClockworkMod 5.0.2.8 Appeal and Appeal Root! - Android Area51

Reactions: cabreco
Hmmmmm! Alright!.............
link shows page not found it looks like a jpg but nothing there
So, I did a power/low volume and get a pop up that is so brief that I cant read it.

I tried again searching on how to get into download mode.....turns out that I have to hold with my thumbs both volume up and volume down as well as power with index finger....that worked...
so got it into download mode and came up with the folllowing:
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> Added!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> File analysis..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)[/FONT]

is that the same or different to you?

now I can't seem to boot up in recovery....it keeps vibrating all the time not just once or twice.

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm! Alright!.............
link shows page not found it looks like a jpg but nothing there
So, I did a power/low volume and get a pop up that is so brief that I cant read it.

I tried again searching on how to get into download mode.....turns out that I have to hold with my thumbs both volume up and volume down as well as power with index finger....that worked...
so got it into download mode and came up with the folllowing:
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> Added!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<ID:0/005> File analysis..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)[/FONT]

is that the same or different to you?

now I can't seem to boot up in recovery....it keeps vibrating all the time not just once or twice.

I just rooted my Appeal following the above directions. I did have a problem. I notice that Odin would confirm it was connected in regular mode but in download mode it would see nothing. DRIVERS! I loaded Kies_2.3.3.12085_7_5

To put it in Download mode, you hold both sides of the volume button (Hi & Low) and the power at the same time. You will get a screen telling you to either hit the voume up button to download or the volume down button to cancel. When you hit the vol down button the phone screen looks like the attached picture.

Once Odin saw it, it took a few second for the d/l to start. The phone put a status line under the android. it stopped in the begining about 1/8 of the way then took off.

After that installing the zip to the SD card was a snap! ( just had to figure out the arrows in the keyboard controlled the selection.

KUDOS to Motorhead. Well written! This is from someone who has NEVER done this before.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20130315_201112.jpg
    IMG_20130315_201112.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
Nope...even with uninstalling a newer version of KIes and installing older driver 2.5.213021.10, and after selecting PDA in Odin and hitting Start while phone is connected and in Dowloading mode, I still get the following:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Upvote 0
I got a PM from Motorhead that he has CWM 6 released today and it's even easier to do. Maybe he cal help you out.

I rooted my extra Galaxy Appeal and removed all of this bloatware:

Accuweather
Allshare
AT&T Hotspot
AT&T Navigator (using Google)
Social Net
AT&T Software update
Data Balance
Facebook
Live TV (using google Maps)
Maps
Market Feedback agent
Movies
News & Weather
Program Monitor
Social hb 2.0
Social Hub 1.0
Talk 1/3
Talk back
Yahoo Finance
Yahoo News
You Tube
Yellow Pages Mobile

I replaced some software (as indicated in the list) & added antivirus & titanium backup so that it is now a Clone of my wife's Appeal (only her's is still not rooted)

Both with NEW fully charged batteries Wifi/GPS/BT & mobile data OFF!
over a 7 hour period of just SITTING on the counter UNTOUCHED
ROOTED PHONE 96% Battery
UNROOTED PHONE 76% Battery

20% difference in battery life just by pulling off the crapware!

Best thing that ever happened to this phone!!

Upvote 0
Nope...even with uninstalling a newer version of KIes and installing older driver 2.5.213021.10, and after selecting PDA in Odin and hitting Start while phone is connected and in Dowloading mode, I still get the following:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

IDK if this makes any difference, I had issues on a Vista laptop. I switched over & did the process on an XP laptop & it worked flawlessly.

I just figured I'd toss it out there.

Upvote 0
Bidda Bam Bidda Boom Budda Fuco
Finally Rooted.....
Instructions were not very clear to me so after about 20 times I tried putting first the
CWM6 in the slot of PDA then selected Start. I did not realize that just a checkmark without anything in it doesn't do anything. Having success with that, I put the Appeal Update in PDA and then pressed Start.
FINALLY.
If anyone wants help, let me know.

Upvote 0
what method did you use to remove the bloatware ??
TITANIUM BACKUP! I even splurged the $6.56 for the full app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DMsImNvbS5rZXJhbWlkYXMuVGl0YW5pdW1CYWNrdXAiXQ..

Real easy to use. I backed up the bloat & uninstalled the app. The reason I bought it is because in the paid you can FREEZE apps instead of uninstall them. It helped in the trial & error.
The little Appeal is now using 25% less power and FLIES through the screens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones