• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing os

Yes, erase the OS and you no longer have a phone. I assume that you really want to either change the user interface or replace the installed OS with a different version.

For the first, it depends what your problem is but just installing a different "launcher" app (there are plenty in the Play Store) will do a lot for you.

The second (or to make deeper changes to the user interface) is more work. This involves finding an alternative OS that has been built for your phone (a "custom ROM"), gaining write access to the system partitions and installing that in place of the existing one. This is normally done by unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery (though I don't know about your particular phone). The procedures depend on the particular phone model, sometimes on the software version it is running. But most importantly, it's only possible if somebody has built both a custom ROM and a custom recovery for that particular phone model. You cannot use a ROM or recovery that was built for a different phone - if you succeeded in installing either it would at best just not work, at worst you might mess the phone up so badly you couldn't get it working again afterwards. And that's the catch: the phone has to be popular enough with people who do that sort of thing for someone to have built the necessary software for it. So if this is your interest, the first thing to do is to find out whether custom ROMs exist for this handset in the first place - if they don't, you can save yourself the effort of learning how to do the rest.

Upvote 0
You CAN install ROMs if you have root, for example, Lineage OS Gives you good Android stock experience and EVEN Updates your phone to Oreo! ( I think.)
Though Takes Risks Like:
Phone Might Lag
Audio Quality Might Be Lower.
and More.
Though it gives Android stock experience, it does have its own bloatware though you won't really have to deal with it. The only bloatware I know for the is by far is the pattern password configuration is CRAZY and can give you to 4x4x4 of pattern space and (I guess) more.
And If you asked, no. I haven't tested it yet.

Upvote 0
Well installing a different ROM isn't the same as removing the OS, which is what the original post said.

And since ROMs have to be built for the specific phone, this only works if someone has done this for the Vivo Y53 (the device the OP was posting about).

And the apps you've posted about are specific to particular phones, so not applicable to the original post. I suspect you are making a general comment about ROMs. But you know, there's no need to remove a launcher: use a different one, and the phone will simply stop loading the built-in one after a while. I know because I spent 7 years with rooted devices, often hacking ROMs rather than simply installing what I was given, and in the early days, with 2010-level phones, was very much paying attention to whether it would be using resources in the background (because the devices didn't have any resources to waste), and I can see right now on my phone that Nova Launcher is using resources and the Pixel Launcher isn't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones