• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Room For Dessert?

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I'm one that LOVES a good dessert. I'm not one to eat such right after dinner. I'm more of the sort that fills his face with something yummy sweet an hour or so before I go to bed. Sometimes it's ice cream. Sometimes a great pie. When the wind is in my sails.. both :D Cakes work for me... especially chocolate.
I'm also a brownie junkie. Give me a good brownie and a glass of cold milk and I'll be your slave. Tonight I made chocolate chip cookies. I haven't baked cookies since my kids left home. Man, I forgot just how good a warm cc cookie is. :)

What's your dessert eating habit? What is your go to dessert? Are you one that buys prepared desserts or do you prefer to make your own? Do you have a favorite recipe you are willing to share? A favorite restaurant dessert that can't be ignored... no matter how full you are? Make me hungry :D

Oh man every night when the kids get in bed, my wife and I have to satisfy our sweet tooth. Ice cream is a popular choice, oreos and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies as well. I like most anything chocolate. My wife likes stuff a little fruitier. (Not that I mind, but just saying given a menu, I go for the chocolate cake, and she will go for the apple dumpling).

Probably the best dessert we have had recently was on Valentine's day this year, the local Thai restaurant has this fuji apple (about the size of a small melon, HUGE apple), that they dip in three different types of chocolate, and then stick pecans to, and drizzle with caramel. It was encased in a half pound of chocolate, Man it was soooo good.

Upvote 0
I'm not big on fruity desserts either. Having said that... Years ago our local grocer carried a brand of blueberry turnovers. You baked them and then drizzled them with a pocket of icing that was provided. I have no idea the brand. They discontinued the good and carried wannabe substitutes many years ago. The original was fruity and darn yummy.

As for the huge apple thing... man I could go for that about anytime. :)

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
My wife has finally succumed to the fact that I'm just not a big dessert person despite going to culinary school and focusing on pastry/baking. :eek:
But, if we're dining out, I'll often get dessert to try something new and see what folks are making. I always like a savory aspect in my dessert (something salty). At home, I might have an Oreo or something smallish. Love making desserts, just not so big on eating them.

Upvote 0
I make a variety desserts when we have people over - and they seem to like them - but I'm not much of a dessert person myself

.. apart from chocolate mousse.

Oh .. and when we go to posh restos, I generally find I like the desserts there ..

.. and ice-cream, I like ice-cream, particularly my home made stuff

Hmm .. maybe I am a dessert person after all :eek:

Upvote 0
My daughter-in-law fixed a fantastic cake for Thanksgiving. I have no idea what all is in it but... man it was good. It must have dates and walnuts... yummy!

Here at the house the wife made a couple of pumpkin pies. They were pretty darn good. I prefer sweet potato pie but I didn't grow sweet potatoes this year. :( I like my pumpkin pie plain but most everyone else in the family has to have cool whip on top.

Upvote 0
It seems a shame to cover a perfectly fine pie in such fluff. But hey, that's me. I'm not that fond of hiding a good cake under a bunch of icing either.

It's about that time of year to make some candies and chocolates for xmas. I make an easy yet very good fudge each season. The wife makes rum balls.. mmmmm
I had an Aunt that made a to die for divinity. Hers and only hers was on my like list for the pastry. Sad to report that she took her recipe to the grave. My sister always makes peanut brittle and Martha Washington candies this time of year. It's always a pleasure to give her a visit across the holidays :)

Upvote 0
It seems it's been a few days since I last entered a dessert here. :) Tonight I had three scoops of my favorite ice cream. Breyers makes a very tasty Snickers ice cream.
0077567265300_CL_version_type_large.jpeg

Upvote 0
We upgraded the Darling Bride's stand mixer from a 275 watt KitchenAid Classic to the 575 watt Professional 600. With that extra horsepower, I purchased several attachments and accessories (like the pasta roller and press)... including the ice cream mixer. The bowl goes into the freezer for 24 hours and then makes the silkiest, smoothest soft-serve ice cream ever. Then it can go into the freezer, in airtight containers, for an incredible hard-pack delight.

I was so impressed with the results that I bought a second one so we can have two bowls freezing all the time; and a book with 100 stand mixer ice cream recipes. My masterpiece (I hope) this week will be caramel butter pecan. A bunch of it.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones