• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root your updated LG Marquee phone step by step.

Woo finally got it all worked out... The issue I was having was i had a very old netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium the timing was really bad..

I tried:

Instatnly, 2 , 3 , 5 , 10 , 15 Secs yesterday...

Now its 4 AM a new day i tried again..

Instatly, 5 , 10...

And when all hope seems lost...

25 Secs... Then SW Updated Appeared... wow....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to know a few things..

1. Since i transfered my services i cant seem to send an international text even if i have that in the plan..

2. If i call up customer service and they say i need to do a factory reset will my Rooted zv4 turn back to just plain old annoying ZV4?

3. Almost same as 2 but if i do go ahead and install a custom rom and then do a factory reset will i just go back to the plain ZV4 again?

Im still new to these custom rom things the only custom rom i have is CleanROM for my Asus Tab...

Since you're rooted, you should have the cwm recovery. Doing a factory reset will not remove root.

Two things you can do that may fix your phone are:

1) Go to settings / About Phone / System Updates and then select Profile Update. This may very well solve your problem. Reboot your phone if it doesn't automatically reboot when update completes.

2) Go into cwm recovery. From a powered off phone, hold volume down and the power button at the same time until your phone boots into recovery. Using you volume keys to scroll up or down and the power button to select, select Factory Reset. After you've done the factory reset, reboot the phone and redo 1st step.

Hopefully that will solve your problem. Just remember only to select the Profile Update. The PRL update can also be used but you probably won't need it. The other 2 features in System Update are not to be touched!

Doing a factory reset once you've flashed a custom ROM will just put it back to the custom ROM before you installed any apps. All a factory reset does is remove apps you add after you flash the ROM. It won't remove root.

Fyi, I also run CleanROM on my Asus tablet. Nice ROM huh? :D

Upvote 0
Since you're rooted, you should have the cwm recovery. Doing a factory reset will not remove root.

Two things you can do that may fix your phone are:

1) Go to settings / About Phone / System Updates and then select Profile Update. This may very well solve your problem. Reboot your phone if it doesn't automatically reboot when update completes.

2) Go into cwm recovery. From a powered off phone, hold volume down and the power button at the same time until your phone boots into recovery. Using you volume keys to scroll up or down and the power button to select, select Factory Reset. After you've done the factory reset, reboot the phone and redo 1st step.

Hopefully that will solve your problem. Just remember only to select the Profile Update. The PRL update can also be used but you probably won't need it. The other 2 features in System Update are not to be touched!

Doing a factory reset once you've flashed a custom ROM will just put it back to the custom ROM before you installed any apps. All a factory reset does is remove apps you add after you flash the ROM. It won't remove root.

Fyi, I also run CleanROM on my Asus tablet. Nice ROM huh? :D

Thanks for the info about the factory reset thing i just thought i would go back to "factory state" whatever that is LOL. Ill go ahead and try the update profile now maybe that will work.

Anyway do you have any suggestions on the custom rom for boost LG marquee? I just tried the Undeniable one but it says sprint... so i restored back to the rooted zv4 im still looking around for a custom rom for my phone just thought of asking about suggestions. :)

*Yup GREAT ROM in fact :D have had my tablet for 2 months now and have no regret whatsoever after i flashed CleanROm :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info about the factory reset thing i just thought i would go back to "factory state" whatever that is LOL. Ill go ahead and try the update profile now maybe that will work.

Anyway do you have any suggestions on the custom rom for boost LG marquee? I just tried the Undeniable one but it says sprint... so i restored back to the rooted zv4 im still looking around for a custom rom for my phone just thought of asking about suggestions. :)

*Yup GREAT ROM in fact :D have had my tablet for 2 months now and have no regret whatsoever after i flashed CleanROm :D

TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY! MegaTron was just released today. I've been testing it for the past 2 1/2 months for Chevanlol360 and I'm here to tell you, IT'S AN AWESOME ROM! Why don't you give it a try.

Here's a link to it's thread. It's easy to install and runs great! :D:D

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5543680

Ctmod is another good ROM for the Marquee.

Reactions: roadclosed
Upvote 0
Need help . Im rooted with the sprint Rom and I have CWM but my wifi is down and the boost stock rooted Rom is 184 megabites. Is it nessacery to install the stock or can I go straight to CT Mod or Megatron .

If you have already flashed one of the rooted ROMS, Sprint or Boost, then you can go ahead and flash CTMOD or Megatron.

Reactions: bestrooted
Upvote 0
Wow really having a bad day today...

Had my new phone ready to go and was going to downgrade it so i could flash the rom..

Had a couple of attemtpts and i though i was able to get to SW Update but had and error on my netbook and it just stayed the same way as it did for a long time...

Now my 25 sec waiting time doesnt do the trick anymore i've been at it for hours now... wow....

Anybody find a faster way i could get it downlgraded again?

Upvote 0
Wow really having a bad day today...

Had my new phone ready to go and was going to downgrade it so i could flash the rom..

Had a couple of attemtpts and i though i was able to get to SW Update but had and error on my netbook and it just stayed the same way as it did for a long time...

Now my 25 sec waiting time doesnt do the trick anymore i've been at it for hours now... wow....

Anybody find a faster way i could get it downlgraded again?

It being a new phone, it will probably have a different count. 25 seconds probably won't work. Just keep playing with it and you'll find the magic number. :D

Upvote 0
It being a new phone, it will probably have a different count. 25 seconds probably won't work. Just keep playing with it and you'll find the magic number. :D

Still no luck on the "magic number" LOL im on my second day now started at 2 in the morning... hmm hey wetbiker how were they able to root the z4 rom in the first place? because since were going in a round about way from downgrading then upgrading to an already rooted rom is there no way for us just to bypass that? haha just a thought getting a little frustrated with this brand new phone lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!

LOG

New LG Marquee Phone
Latest JDK
All Drivers Installed
Windows Enabler ON
KDZ Tool

Instant Boot after - Fail

2 Seconds - Fail (Param 52)

3 Seconds - Fail (Param 52)

4 Seconds - Fail (Param 52)

5 Seconds - Fail (Param 72)

6 Seconds - Success!

7 Seconds -

8 Seconds -

9 Seconds -

10 Seconds -

11 Seconds -

12 Seconds -

13 Seconds -

14 Seconds -

15 Seconds -

20 Seconds -

25 Seconds (Worked on Refurbished Phones) -

Good thing i didint go all the way back to 25 secs took me 2 days to do this... wow that timing is a pain in the butt... butt now im flashing the megatron rom!

Upvote 0
I need some help every time i try with the kdz thing this pops up [R&D Test Tools Log File]

18:04:55 : Launching SW update
18:04:55 : Unpacking KDZ
18:04:56 : KDZ file extraced
18:04:56 : Extract file error
18:04:58 : ===FINISHED===

I had the same issue before, try re downloading the KDZ file in the first post and should work fine! Good Luck!

Upvote 0
well i am dreading doing this again, i tried for aboUt a hoUr gave Up so i have jUst been Using hidden menU to tether , becaUse i have no internet , like month ago i dropped my marqUee on a wooden floor oUt of any floor shattered the screen, then like a week later the 3g/1x network stopped worked completly i tried Updating,factory reset,changing roms, every which way , ended Up bUying a new marqUee lol , i think i was scared to switch phones becaUse i thoUght no onoe woUld make good roms and sUch thanks gUys always keeping me impressed.

Upvote 0
First of all I'd like to thank all who posted in this thread for rooting our stubborn Marquee. I've gone through a lot of trials and errors and finally succeeded in downgrading from ZVC to ZV9 (and then rooting is a piece of cake). There are 2 things from my experience I think would be helpful to others who are still struggling with the downgrading:

For those of you who just can't get the timing right, I suggest using the LG Util toolkit. The "Flash with assistant" tool in this toolkit will take care of the timing. (Prereqs: install LG mobile USB drivers and LG Mobile Support Tool.) I can't post the link since this is my first post. Just search for "LG-Utils-0.4.2". Extract the downloaded zip file to a folder and run "KP500-Utils-EN.exe" as Administrator, with your phone on and USB plugged in. Now here's the catch. This tool requires cab instead of kdz file as input. You can use the extraction tool (option I in the menue) to get the cab file from the kdz file. After the cab file is produced, use option J - "Flash with assistant" and supply the path to the cab file. Then sit back and relax after a few clicks of buttons. (It will complain about phone not connected at first, just press the Restart button if you are sure your phone is on and connected with USB.) My flash completed in about 20 minutes.

The most frustrating thing of the whole process is that my Windows 7 Pro will not recognize the phone's USB device after it goes to the "S/W Upgrade" mode. (You'll get Error Code 60 when using the kdz updater and communication failure if using the LG Utils. Your friendly Win 7 notification area will show "Unknown USB device".) My trick here is to use Windows XP. I happen to have a Win XP installation CD. After all the frustration, I decided to build a Win XP virtual machine with VMWare Workstation (this is my bread and butter BTW. You can use a physical machine and I'm sure that'll work). After 30-40 minutes and Win XP installation and installing the LG USB driver and LG Mobile Support Tool, I went ahead with the steps above in the last paragaph. And ... Bingo!

Upvote 0
Just a thanks. Just got a refurb Marquee from Ting. It came with ZV9 nagging me to update. I just followed form about step 12 on.

As a side note, it looks as if the CWM installer runs gingerbreak, so the rooting step before may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

Again thanks.. now to try CT mod. I just wish I knew a little more and could help with the CM10 /ICS / JB work.

Oh, and this thread should be stickied :)

Upvote 0
First of all I'd like to thank all who posted in this thread for rooting our stubborn Marquee. I've gone through a lot of trials and errors and finally succeeded in downgrading from ZVC to ZV9 (and then rooting is a piece of cake). There are 2 things from my experience I think would be helpful to others who are still struggling with the downgrading:

For those of you who just can't get the timing right, I suggest using the LG Util toolkit. The "Flash with assistant" tool in this toolkit will take care of the timing. (Prereqs: install LG mobile USB drivers and LG Mobile Support Tool.) I can't post the link since this is my first post. Just search for "LG-Utils-0.4.2". Extract the downloaded zip file to a folder and run "KP500-Utils-EN.exe" as Administrator, with your phone on and USB plugged in. Now here's the catch. This tool requires cab instead of kdz file as input. You can use the extraction tool (option I in the menue) to get the cab file from the kdz file. After the cab file is produced, use option J - "Flash with assistant" and supply the path to the cab file. Then sit back and relax after a few clicks of buttons. (It will complain about phone not connected at first, just press the Restart button if you are sure your phone is on and connected with USB.) My flash completed in about 20 minutes.

The most frustrating thing of the whole process is that my Windows 7 Pro will not recognize the phone's USB device after it goes to the "S/W Upgrade" mode. (You'll get Error Code 60 when using the kdz updater and communication failure if using the LG Utils. Your friendly Win 7 notification area will show "Unknown USB device".) My trick here is to use Windows XP. I happen to have a Win XP installation CD. After all the frustration, I decided to build a Win XP virtual machine with VMWare Workstation (this is my bread and butter BTW. You can use a physical machine and I'm sure that'll work). After 30-40 minutes and Win XP installation and installing the LG USB driver and LG Mobile Support Tool, I went ahead with the steps above in the last paragaph. And ... Bingo!

Thanks this worked perfect on windows 7 64bit. Worked when I couldn't get kdz updater to work! Thanks.

Upvote 0
SHORTCUT AT THE BOTTOM IF YOU WANT TO BE ROOTED THE FAST AND EASY WAY WORKED LIKE A CHARM I DONE IT IN UNDER 1HR AFTER FINDING ALL OF THE FILES AND GOT ALL OF THE STEPS TOGETHER BOOSTMOBILE LG855 MARQUEE IT WORKS

*Hot damn 1234west you da man and of course blooddawn as always you freakin rock bro and who ever else
IT FREAKING WORKS ON THE LG MARQUEE LG855 [[ROOTED] [SUPERUSER][CLOCKWORKMOD] BY FRAMAROOT.APK/APKINSTALLER/ROMMANAGER/CWMOD/BLOODAWNS:CT3.80_LG855.zip/1234WEST....AND WHOEVER ELSE I FORGOT TO MENTION BIG DAMN HELLO AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Now I can go get some dang rest.*
lmao I havent even played with the phone yet that I was so happy to see it work.....

I downloaded the Framaroot.apk, apkinstaller*
moved my Framaroot.apk to my phone using usb mass storage then used apkinstaller to install the Framaroot.apk used Framaroot.apk to give my phone superuser rites.. then I downloaded the Rommanager to my phone and installed it and used it to just install the clockworkmod it asked me to verify my phone lg855 marquee then it download a cwm file that worked for my phone, then shut my phone off i unplugged my phone and held in the vol down and power at the same time till i got into the clockworkmod*
I choosed the mount settings to mount through usb then i plugged my phone back in and down loaded blooddawns file CT3.80_LG855.zip and sent that file to my phone through usb and then I unmounted the usb and choosed back till I got to the install zip from sd card and choosed CT3.80_LG855.zip and then again CT3.80_LG855.zip and let it rip and when it was done. i rebooted it and up it came with the big CT multi color and BAM BABY I GOT ROOTED AND BLOODDAWNED IN ONE NITE. that other way was crap but GREAT WRITE UP THANK YOU!

Step 11
Back at the kdz updater tool click on the launch software update button.

this is me ----->Boost users immediately press the power button on your phone right after you click on the launch software update. I do what it says and bam no phone found????????????? i wait 20 seconds then it goes but then another bam!!!!!!!! to the chops message dll not found

Sprint users count to 12 and then power on your phone.

I had to read the forums to figure out how to get this to work on boost and on sprint and trust me the timing is everything, if your phone boots all the way up you've messed up on the timing otherwise it will boot into the update screen. If you mess up the first time just try it again it only took me 1 try to get the boost to work, and 3 tries to get the sprint to work.

Once the update begins just leave the phone alone until the update completes and the phone reboots.

Boost users you will now see the welcome to now network from sprint on boot. Not to worry though were gonna root the phone and then you can install the rooted LS855ZV4 stock so your phone will be back to normal shortly.

If your phone gets stuck in the continuous boot loop after running the update. Just power off your phone, and hold the volume down + the power on button until your phone boots into the factory recovery manager. You will need to use the volume rocker to scroll up and down and use the menu button on your phone as the enter button. You will want to clear catch and restore phone to factory default. You will see the options in the factory recovery window just browse the clear cache and then to the restore factory default settings and after that click the reboot.

Now your phone should boot up successfully without the continuous boot loop. Now we can go ahead and get the phone rooted!

Step 12
Download the LG Marquee root zip >>> Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

Step 13
With your phone powered on go ahead and make sure your settings are still correct, you need to have it set to charge only, and have usb debugging enabled. Once that is complete plug your phone into the computer using the usb cable this time leave the phone on.

Step 14
Extract the LG Marquee root zip and inside the LG Marquee root folder you will see a batch file named run, go ahead and execute it by double clicking on it. Give it a few minutes and you should see it looking up the phone and copying files over when it's complete it will pop up finished press any key to continue. Go ahead and press a key and this will close it.

Step 15
Your phone should now be rooted go ahead and download root check basic from the play store. Run it and it should verify your root.

Now that your phone is rooted you can install CWM and well the rest is history.

Step 16
Download CWM >>> http://unleashedprepaids.com/media/phones/lg-marquee/LGMarquee_CWM.zip

Extract the LGMarquee CWM, this won't produce a folder just a few files.

Step 17
Make sure your phone is plugged in to the computer, powered on and debugging is still enabled, should be as long as you haven't changed them and been following this guide.

Step 18

Double click on the cwm-install-windows launcher that was extracted in the previous steps this will open the installer, you simply press 1 on the keyboard and then enter on the keyboard and it will install CWM.

Now that your phone is rooted and CWM is installed we can now use CWM to install the stock rooted updated SW versions for our phones. Or you can install ctmod and one of the updated kernels if you choose to. I'm gonna walk you through getting your phone back to stock with the rooted permissions.

Step 19

Download the rooted stock SW for your phone.

Boost users >>>ZV4-Rooted-Boost.zip

Sprint users >>> ZVC-Rooted-Sprint.zip

Step 20
Now on your phone go to settings and browse to connectivity and then choose default connection mode storage. Plug the phone back into the computer and choose open to view files. Just copy the zip you downloaded in the previous step onto your phone SD card somewhere remember where you put it though. I created a new folder called STOCK and put the zip file in it.

Step 21

Disconnect the phone from the pc and power it off. Hold the volume down + power button until you boot into CWM it takes a little bit so keep them held down until it boots CWM.

Step 22
I would recommend making a backup of your current system using cwm before you install the stock rom so if anything goes wrong.

Using the volume up and down to browse the menu's and navigate CWM, browse to the install zip from sd card select it using the power button, and browse to the zip file you copied over and select it and it will install the rom and reboot to CWM.

Step 23

In CWM clear the catch, and then reboot if your phone gets stuck and won't boot, power it off boot back into CWM and do factory reset. Once your phone boots again you will be finished. Your back to stock with root access and you can install one of the custom kernels and SW or whatever you can with your new root access.

make video please Good SIR

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones