• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Event

Now can anyone recommend a free wifi tethering app?

I'm successfully using "Wifi Tether TrevE Mod" as described in an article on highonandroid.com.

I had to deviate slightly from the instructions provided, but I can't remember exactly what I had to change. It wasn't anything sophisticated... I just did a little trial and error with some of the settings.

Reactions: Bstressfree
Upvote 0
... Well I have tried 4-5 times now and just keeping getting the same error n restarting my device. Should I keep trying or should I just go to the other method?

I kept getting the 64 error as well, despite many reboots and subsequent attempts. However, it turns out that my phone was indeed rooted. I never got Poot to run without showing an error in the log, but I now suspect it actually worked the very first time.

For example, I've had no trouble using Titanium Backup to delete system apps I don't want (e.g. Mobile ID, Google Play Music, Google Play Magazines, etc) and to convert user-installed apps (e.g. Power Toggles) to system apps.

I was already happy with this phone, but with just a little tweaking with root privileges, it's just about perfect.

Upvote 0
I picked up this phone on Thursday because the Rise I had started boot looping. I was able to root my phone by following the same steps as on the below link.

Ok, so the link I posted here is now dead. So instead, I am posting a step by step tutorial. Keep in mind that I did not come up with this procedure. The thanks all go to other people. :)

1) Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled by going to Settings>Developer options. USB debugging should be checked.

2) Download Poot from the following link: http://db.tt/0HqxEURT. I downloaded this from my phone and my phone put it in the Download folder on my SD Card, but you can download it onto your computer and copy it to your SD Card.

3) Download Ministro II from the Google Play store.

4) Download Superuser from the Google Play store. There are several, but the one that works for me is the one created by CHAINDD.

5) Run Poot-debug(W100).apk from your SD Card. Run the Poot application. There is a button at the top called "Press here to poot".

6) Poot pushes su to xbin.

7) Open Superuser application. Slide the screen to the right, going into the "info" tab. Under the "su binary" section, hit the "tap to check for updates" and update binary.

8) If done right you now have root. You can check by installing an app such as Titanium Backup and opening it. It should request SU permissions.

If you have any problems with this, restart your phone and run Poot and Superuser again.

I did end up with one problem where applications were not requesting SU anymore. I just went into Superuser and updated the su binary again to the newest version.

I just successfully rooted my Kyocera Event, can I enable USB debugging so I can import my music and movies?

As well am I able to uninstall Poot or Ministro without having any problems?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm successfully using "Wifi Tether TrevE Mod" as described in an article on highonandroid.com.

I had to deviate slightly from the instructions provided, but I can't remember exactly what I had to change. It wasn't anything sophisticated... I just did a little trial and error with some of the settings.

I got the trevE mod working with one error "mss clamping". My other (deactivated) phone connects just fine as long as I don't enable encryption. With encryption enabled they won't stay connected.:thinking::thinking::(:D

Upvote 0
Lmfao given this process from inception emanates from me go to the rise forums all root for original thread.Also there are no roms dont be oblivious and flash anything you will brick your phone with no way to recover.Also even on a locked bl anyone can make a rom as a rom in its entirety is just removed bloatware,new theme,random name,new boot,new font,and etc

Upvote 0
I get a message that says invalid qt , I tried three different versions of ministro ii but no luck... Any advice?

I get this message too, and this is on a previously rooted event. I also downloaded a similar version of poot, and when i run that, it says something like "minitro can't satisfy your application dependencies", instead of invalid qt. I have both of these poot's currently installed at the same time. (but they weren't always, so i don't think that is the problem).

Everything was working when i first rooted my event, but then i started wondering how i could get superuser to accept more app's, and it didn't seem to want to, so i re-installed superuser. Big mistake. Nothing but problems since.

Upvote 0
I get a message that says invalid qt , I tried three different versions of ministro ii but no luck... Any advice?
I, too, get this error.
(offline - no internet connection): on install/run poot first indicates needs extra libraries to run and whether to download them now. On 'ok' ministro starts up indicating that it needs a network connection. from that point on it will take you to mobile networks and does not give you the option of utilizing wifi only for the internet connection.
(online - with internet connection): on install/run poot first indicates it needs extra libraries to run and whether to download them or not. After 'ok' ministro starts up and immediately disappears with the pop up indicating invalid qt version
So, from this it appears, to me, that Ministro is the one which is the problem in that it seems to require an internet connection through the mobile network and disallows using wifi for the internet connection. :(

Upvote 0
Just picked up this Kyocera Event C5133 yesterday bcuz my Optimus Elites hardware malfunctioned, likely my fault. Anyhow, during the process of Rooting my new Ky Event C5133 I ran into all the same issues a lot of people here seemed to end up with but finally got this phone Rooted thanks to bits an pieces from posters here. This is what worked for me & Hope it helps someone: First I followed the tutorial in this forum, which was close to how I rooted my Optimus Elite. Along the way after rebooting & re-installing the apps listed in this tutorial a few times I somehow ended up with the Superuser app by ChainsDD version 2.3.6 installed as a system app, even after restoring the phone with the factory data reset option in system settings/ backup & reset. This is what worked:
1. Factory Reset (only do so if you know what you are doing!)
2. Still having the Superuser app Ver.2.3.6 installed as a system app I went ahead & Disabled it in Settings/apps/All/Superuser/App info/Disable.. though I first cleared its data then disabled it.
3. Rebooted then downloaded, installed & ran the Poot-debug.apk that I used for my Optimus Elite downloaded from this link = Dev-Host - Poot-debug.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service . it should be 458.70 kb in size.
4. I allowed poot to insist & directly link me to the Ministro app it needed & installed it, waited for it to complete then hit the back key.
5. Allowed Poot to install the additional files it needed when prompted & then Ran Press here to poot after they where downloaded.
6. Poot did not Seem to work, as it stated something about Demons in my phone & the need to reboot Although I Did not reboot but instead I..
7. Went back into Settings/apps/All/Superuser/App info/ & then Enabled The Un-Updated Version2.3.6 Superuser app.
8. I Left Settings, Opened app draw & opened the Superuser app, clicked the settings tab to the rite & when I scrolled down it showed its version Superuser v2.3.6 & under that was the Su binary v3.0.3.2.. I did not tap to check for updates! I backed out
9. I then Installed Root Checker Basics version 5.0.6 & ran the Verify Root Access within the app in which it showed I was indeed then Rooted!

Note: Debuging & unknown sources where both checked as in this forums tutorial states to do, along with staying awake while connected Because just as I did when Rooting my OptElite before starting the rooting process I Connected my Kyocera Event to my laptop with its usb & chose Charge only before starting the rooting process.

as for uninstalling Ministro, Poot-debug & Root checker basic I have yet to try on the Event but I did uninstall them all after rooting my Optimus Elite with no problems. though only do so at your own risk!
Hope it helps & thank you all for your replys which helped me to figure out my Root! yolo

Reactions: tmonnyxthousand
Upvote 0
as for uninstalling Ministro, Poot-debug & Root checker basic I have yet to try on the Event but I did uninstall them all after rooting my Optimus Elite with no problems. though only do so at your own risk!
Hope it helps & thank you all for your replys which helped me to figure out my Root! yolo

You can uninstall these apps after rooting with no issues. Just keep the copy of Poot on a folder in the SD card in case you lose root somehow. And of course... make sure you put a pattern lock/PIN/password on your phone, especially if you're rooted! :)

Reactions: brakedown
Upvote 0
edit: oops, this is in reply to BrakeDown's post of 22 October ----

Dude you are an intense boss of the highest order. I won't bore with details, but basically I had one event a while back and rooted it with z4root oddly enough and it worked perfectly the very first time. Replaced the phone with another Event due to oceanic submersion and z4root wasn't doing it anymore. After a lot lot lot of attempting various things, I was having the same issue as you where the old superuser seemed to become a system app even after a factory reset. I followed your method exactly, but with one difference:

Since I suspected the problem was perhaps something to do with the way the phone updated itself once signed into google, I didn't sign into google at all and instead pushed all the .apk files from adb.

[[I tried to include links to the apks i used, but as a new user I'm not allowed - I just used your poot link and googled downloads for ministro and rootcheck]]

After following your exact procedure (dang, I forgot to write down the exact poot error, but it involved a demon and I think the error was sixty-something, could be wrong) I finally had a superuser permission pop up when I did rootcheck, which said I was good to go. I've no idea if staying signed out of google made a bit of difference - but it's what I did. Maybe it will help someone else.

I was able to get rootcheck to tell me I had root before, but the shell for superuser wouldn't pop up and even though rootcheck would say ok, nothing would actually work. I'm going to venture into the world of signing into my google account and actually using my phone now, I'll update if anything goes wrong - but this was brilliant, thanks so much.

Sorry if this is incoherently written, I am very excited as I stayed up all night alternating between every conceivable root method and a game of Civ V - and now it's finally working. Awesome.

Upvote 0
What do I do if it said a demon materialized while pooting error: 22 su binary was not written

Reread brakedown's post. Take note of numbers 6 through 9.

Just picked up this Kyocera Event C5133 yesterday bcuz my Optimus Elites hardware malfunctioned, likely my fault. Anyhow, during the process of Rooting my new Ky Event C5133 I ran into all the same issues a lot of people here seemed to end up with but finally got this phone Rooted thanks to bits an pieces from posters here. This is what worked for me & Hope it helps someone: First I followed the tutorial in this forum, which was close to how I rooted my Optimus Elite. Along the way after rebooting & re-installing the apps listed in this tutorial a few times I somehow ended up with the Superuser app by ChainsDD version 2.3.6 installed as a system app, even after restoring the phone with the factory data reset option in system settings/ backup & reset. This is what worked:
1. Factory Reset (only do so if you know what you are doing!)
2. Still having the Superuser app Ver.2.3.6 installed as a system app I went ahead & Disabled it in Settings/apps/All/Superuser/App info/Disable.. though I first cleared its data then disabled it.
3. Rebooted then downloaded, installed & ran the Poot-debug.apk that I used for my Optimus Elite downloaded from this link = Dev-Host - Poot-debug.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service . it should be 458.70 kb in size.
4. I allowed poot to insist & directly link me to the Ministro app it needed & installed it, waited for it to complete then hit the back key.
5. Allowed Poot to install the additional files it needed when prompted & then Ran Press here to poot after they where downloaded.
6. Poot did not Seem to work, as it stated something about Demons in my phone & the need to reboot Although I Did not reboot but instead I..
7. Went back into Settings/apps/All/Superuser/App info/ & then Enabled The Un-Updated Version2.3.6 Superuser app.
8. I Left Settings, Opened app draw & opened the Superuser app, clicked the settings tab to the rite & when I scrolled down it showed its version Superuser v2.3.6 & under that was the Su binary v3.0.3.2.. I did not tap to check for updates! I backed out
9. I then Installed Root Checker Basics version 5.0.6 & ran the Verify Root Access within the app in which it showed I was indeed then Rooted!

Note: Debuging & unknown sources where both checked as in this forums tutorial states to do, along with staying awake while connected Because just as I did when Rooting my OptElite before starting the rooting process I Connected my Kyocera Event to my laptop with its usb & chose Charge only before starting the rooting process.

Upvote 0
What do I do if it said a demon materialized while pooting error: 22 su binary was not written
Actually this error was popping up for me many many times and rebooting per Brakedown's post didn't help anything.

At some point, I tried so many tools that it's almost like something got it "halfway" (see what brakedown says about superuser showing up as a system app even after factory reset - this is obviously not the stock configuration out-of-the-box, but both of us tinkered with something that made it so), then poot could "finish the job." I'm really not sure WHAT that first step was, as I tried many, many things.

If I had to guess, something in adb-toolkit helped (search and you'll find). This has a lot of one-click root tools to try and after messing with those I actually gave up, did a factory reset, and then noticed superuser was somehow still there as a system app - old version. Very weird, but once you see that, brakedown's procedure seems like it will probably work for you. Like I said, my first successful root was with a z4root designed for LTE blade, so who knows - it certainly doesn't seem to work the same for everyone with an Event.

tl;dr: poot error 22, really didn't work. poot error... something else, I think it was 67 or something, probably secretly did work, look @ brakedown's post.

Upvote 0
Very easy root. Thanks! Had an issue with Links2SD. It was "permissioned" by superuser, but wouldn't uninstall anything. On the advice of another "rooter", I used Andromizer Pro from Google Play. After superuser permissions were given, you can uninstall, backup, restore anything you wish. It worked to "optimize" & clean the ROM without issue. Superuser updated binary went smoothly. Now, this little phone is nice to use! I got rid of the stock launcher for Apex. Loving life now! Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Devices - HTC one v, slimbean 3.1 advanced w/ turbo boost mod.
Kyocera Event, stock-rooted w/ Andromizer Pro tweaks.

Upvote 0
Worked for me on the second try. First time I restarted by holding the power button. Appeared that it didn't work. I ran poot again and this time shut down and restarted. All good so far. Bought my phone on the the 24th. First android and first root. Came from a 3g on 4.2.1. A little outdated. lol

On edit: I too for an error. Think it was 64 about a daemon. If you Google it it leads to a thread here that says its OK do the restart.

If you will read the poot instructions you should find that ''' daemon materialized ''' means the root was successful... check the root with superuser to verify!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones