• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting The LG Optimus Q From Straight Talk!!!

Took less than 2 minutes. Now if only we could get CyanogenMod for the Q... oh well hopefully it will be available soon.

just wanted to say your welcome to everyone saying thanks!

also to make des and many others happy myself and one other are currently working on 2 diff roms for the Q just waiting on a custom kernal for the phone! with the arrival of the custom kernal ill also be able to bring to you the ever so wonderful CM7 ROM so please stay tuned folks!!!

you can keep up with everything here

Upvote 0
Hoping someone can help me out on this one.
Glossing over the fact that one of my computers reads the LG_Esteem_Root file as containing a virus [the programs buggy and calls many things viruses if it isn't sure what they are], I've tried extracting the file on two different terminals running two different OS using two different extracting programs and it always comes up with the same error: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

I may just be running bs extractions considering this is my first rooting of an android phone.

Assistance, Si'l vous plait

[installed drivers already]
Attempts:
Windows 7 64-Bit
-WinRaR 64-Bit
-WinRar 32-Bit
-Winzip

Windows Vista 32-bit
-Winrar 32-Bit
-Winzip

Regards,

Sentine1

Upvote 0
First of all I would like to say thanks the root worked great. Also i have a question is there any way to make this phone roam or pick up off other towers my previous straight talk phone worked off Verizon. I love this phone but it gets horrible reception i have tried use apps like roam control and roam override neither worked. Would you know how to update the PRL? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Upvote 0
First of all I would like to say thanks the root worked great. Also i have a question is there any way to make this phone roam or pick up off other towers my previous straight talk phone worked off Verizon. I love this phone but it gets horrible reception i have tried use apps like roam control and roam override neither worked. Would you know how to update the PRL? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

From Wat I got out of messing with this phone is its nothing but a boost phone woth the boost prl. I can't roam on boost so probably can't roam on st.

Upvote 0
Something to think about: A rooted phone means you can access your system files. This means you can also accidentally delete an important file that may cause a process to crash or the whole system/ROM to crash.
If you have no custom recovery installed which will allow you to make a backup of your system/ROM (this is called a nandroid backup) then you could wind up with a brick.
After making a backup in the "backup and restore" option if you make a mistake then all you have to do is the same wipe and format procedure necessary for a new ROM install. Then go to the restore option. When it's is done and your booted back in you system/ROM then everything will be exactly as it was when you made the backup.
Note: Once you have a custom recovery installed you must never use the Factory reset on the phone(this will probably brick the phone). Use the wipe data/factory reset option in the recovery only.
If you have a custom ROM installed you do not need to wipe and format everything when updating that ROM (installing a new version of the ROM that's is already installed).This will cause you to have re-download all your apps and set everything up again from scratch. Instead you only need to do is wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache (found in the advanced section of the recovery). When the update is installed you might not even notice right away that you even updated. Everything will be just as you had it before you updated.

Upvote 0
If no one else can get to it before I get home (approx the first week of July), then at that time I will upload all the drivers needed, the Zerg root, ClockworkMod and the AreaRomQ (with permission from the dev, of course) from my PC at the house. I do not have the files on my laptop. To anyone having issues with the Zerg root hanging up, please make sure you have the USB debugging option turned on. I had the same issue when doing mine the first time. I can reassure you that the effort is well worth the research and the A51Q ROM is amazing. I am looking forward to upgrading my L55C to the v1.5 when I get back.

Upvote 0
PROBLEM WITH LINKS

these links take us to area51
I have tried over and over to login / register and keep getting
"an error has occurred."
Username passes -no info given on the 'error'.
I cannot get to these drivers.
I do not NEED root, but I WANT it!
anybody else have this - and how did you get around it?

im willing to bet it has been removed due to a lack of mention and prolly a lack of asking, a lack of self hosting, which would constitute stealing and lagging their servers for phandroids gain right?

Upvote 0
oh boy! I really screwed my phone up. I have an LG Android LGL55C model. I have been following the instructions on how to root my phone. Did that successfully. Did a complete backup of files yesterday successfully. Today I was walking through these instructions and it said to backup so I did another backup and then my phone crashed. It wont load. when i turn it on it just goes to the logo repeatedly. It wont complete the process so I can see my screen.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this????? I have repeatedly taken the battery out and restarted it but the same thing happens. I took out the SC card and tried restarting....same thing. So my phone is totally useless at this point. PLEASE help!!!

As you can tell I am a total virgin to this rooting stuff. I needed to make more room on my internal memory, so that's why I began this process. Oh dear oh dear oh dear! help!!

Upvote 0
Do u have cwm installed for recovery. Boot to that using thre finger method [I forget which buttons, google] and restore backup, or drop a new rom , androidarea51.com has a good one, on the sd card nnd then install zip from sd card thru cwm. If u dont have cwm you will haft to push it to your phone somehow. [Adb bridge perhaps] I am only somewhat familiar with this device, when I installed cwm I used an img flasher from the android system. Since you cant get there this is not an option.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have gotten Superuser to show up, but when I reboot while holding down the Vol down/home button I only get into the stock Android recovery and not Clockwork. Any thoughts? I've seen where it means that my phone needs an unlock key? But then again it's my first root so I could be missing something. Thanks!

Upvote 0
You need to use img flasher n flash an img of cwm.

Cwm img [never update this, this is the only working version.
http://db.tt/zC3gY0jF

Download this Recovery.img and the flash_image.zip unzip the flash_image and place it and the recovery.img onto the root of your sd card.

then download a terminal emulator from the market i have provided a link to one for you.

next open up the terminal emulator and type in the following

su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM701_recovery.img
reboot recovery

Now backup your sd card to the pc.

Then reboot into cwm and backup your current system

Then wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, then in advanced wipe dalvik cache.

Now go to mount tools menu and mount usb storage, dose it show up on your pc. If not do not partition sd card and just install tue rom and post here

If it dose, back out of that menu n go back to advanced and partition the sd card. 2048mb app storage and 0mb swap

Now mount usb storage and drop this rom on there

http://db.tt/kTDDgLX2

Now flash that from the install xip from sd card.

Reboot

Waite 5 mins

Reboot again before you touch anything

Set up your first boot stuff

Reboot again

Any proboems try again

Still problems, wipe and restore backup

You wont need to root again

Then restore ur old sd card data

You also now have 2gb app storage

Use wifi teather, newest version fron play store, the yellow one [or google it]

Play with the settings. This is better then the one in the settings menu because it will do multiple devices and ps3 and such. Just set it up right [ google]

Upvote 0
Just posting a secondary link to the files needed for rooting HERE. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, which is apparently to androidarea51.com, but trying to get to these files was a real pain in the ass. The root toolkit is from aa51 but the USB drivers are updated from the LG site.

thanks! this helped me alot. Having a problem with market now, cannot download apps since rooting.. help?

Upvote 0
tried that already, :(
anything I try to download is unsuccessful.

Im running android 2.3.4

Ive tried clearing all the cache's etc. restarted phone. cannot get google play to update

Can you download from the play store to your phone with your pc?

I have a different phone running jellybean and can't remember where it is in gingerbread, but try removing your google account and adding it again.

And did you try looking in apps > all and clearing data and cache on google services framework?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones