• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S10, S10+, Note10, or Note 10+?

droidros

Android Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2010
DC Metro Area
I apologize. I had posted this earlier but I seem to have posted it as a reply to somebody else's thread - or else it got moved somehow.

My first couple of smart phones were Motorola and I really liked them. Then I switched to a Samsung S5 (?), then back to Motorola, Moto Z, which has given me a number of problems that I won't go into now. Anyway, I'm back to considering the Samsung, Galaxy 10 series as there is a good sale on at Costco.

The problem is, which one? Apart from phone calls and texting, I mainly use the phone to take and edit pictures, read and write to Facebook, perform searches, and play some casual games. So my main criteria are (apart from clear phone calls, which I think should be a given for a phone) excellent camera (including the selfie), long battery life, and a responsive user interface with easy text input.

The 10 pluses are really large but they seem to be getting very good reviews and have the longest battery life. Since I like using a stylus, I like the idea of the Note 10 with the stylus, but that adds even more to the size and weight. I do have a couple of questions:

I seem to remember I had problems with the icons on my last Samsung. I couldn't lock them down and icons would get moved accidentally and some icons would actually disappear altogether. Also, it was easy to accidentally call someone (butt calling, although I never carry my phone next to my butt ;)). Do any of these phones have these problems?

I prefer to input text using Swype (or similar) rather than tapping out the keys. Do all these models have this capability and does the Note stylus work well with this method?

Given my concerns about the size, do you think the features and and functionality of the S10+ or Note 10+ outweigh the S10/Note 10?

Thoughts and recommendation from anybody with familiarity with any of these models are appreciated!

Update: I went to Costco again and had a chance to look more closely at these phones. The displays are really amazing compared to my current phone, Moto Z, and the selfie camera is a lot better. However, I tried to create a text (using both the stylus and with my finger on the S10) and could not input by swiping. I looked in the settings and there did not seem to be an option to enable swipe input. I understand I would probably need to install a 3rd-party app but wish I didn't have to because the more one installs, the more it gets weighed down.

The other thing is that although the 10+ is big, it's not that much longer than my Moto Z - but the actual screen display is MUCH larger. This has convinced me that S10+ or Note 10+ is definitely the way to go. I will probably go with the Note because I like the stylus.

I'd still like to receive some feedback from users of any of these models. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
i love my note 10+. it does LOOK big. but does not feel big. it can easily fit in my pocket. i love the screen. it is hands down the best screen i have ever had. the note 10 specs are just a step down from the note 10+. so if you can afford it, the note 10+ is the way to go. the battery with its, huge 3,500 mAh lasts all day. with me using gps, youtube, netflix, playing a few games....at the end of the day, i can come home with 40% battery left!!!!!

Reactions: droidros and mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm looking to buy a new Samsung flagship phone early next year. And so far I'm thinking S10+ for me, mainly because of size, has a headphone jack, and takes a micro-SD. The last two are must haves, so that rules out Note10.
I believe the Note 10+ takes a micro - SD. My current Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack but it came with a USB-C adapter for headphones and I don't miss the jack. I think the Note 10/10+ comes with USB-C headphones.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i love my note 10+. it does LOOK big. but does not feel big. it can easily fit in my pocket. i love the screen. it is hands down the best screen i have ever had. the note 10 specs are just a step down from the note 10+. so if you can afford it, the note 10+ is the way to go. the battery with its, huge 3,500 mAh lasts all day. with me using gps, youtube, netflix, playing a few games....at the end of the day, i can come home with 40% battery left!!!!!
I'm definitely leaning towards the Note 10+. It looks huge but isn't that much longer than my current phone.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Does anybody use swipe input on their keyboard? I always swipe rather than tap and was unable to do it on the phones I played with at Costco. I asked this question in another forum and was told the Samsung default keyboard has this capability.
it sure does. that is what i use on my note....the samsung keyboard...... because it has the swype technology built in.

Reactions: droidros
Upvote 0
I believe the Note 10+ takes a micro - SD. My current Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack but it came with a USB-C adapter for headphones and I don't miss the jack. I think the Note 10/10+ comes with USB-C headphones.

Although I usually use Bluetooth headphones or speakers for listening to my phone. However I also use my phone for work as a teacher, and in the classrooms the PA systems have a 3.5mm jack lead on them. that I use to play MP3 lesson materials from my phone. I could use an adapter dongle, or even put my old iPod back into service, but it's an additional item I might forget to take with me. :D

Upvote 0
I guess the feature was turned off on the phones I tried at Costco - don't know why. I looked in Settings but couldn't find how to turn it on.
its in the keyboard settings. select an area where you would need to type. the keyboard should pop up. select the gear icon....top corner. the keyboard setting should open and there should an input option. from there you would select the swype option.

Upvote 0
No worries.....let us know what phone you end up getting.

Note 10 Plus from Costco - they have really good deals on the Galaxy 10 series (but not the 10e or 10+ 5G). I really like it so far and it's not heavy for its size. My two minor disappointments are 1) it's too big to lie flat on my wireless charging pad in my car so I can't charge it from there and 2) the stylus is a boring black, rather than the very pretty blue they used with the demo model as the store.

Also, I wanted to play the amazing demo videos I saw in the store but they are no longer there and I can't find them on line. Anyone know how to find them?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Note 10 Plus from Costco - they have really good deals on the Galaxy 10 series (but not the 10e or 10+ 5G). I really like it so far and it's not heavy for its size. My two minor disappointments are 1) it's too big to lie flat on my wireless charging pad in my car so I can't charge it from there and 2) the stylus is a boring black, rather than the very pretty blue they used with the demo model as the store.

Also, I wanted to play the amazing demo videos I saw in the store but they are no longer there and I can't find them on line. Anyone know how to find them?
i use a wireless car mount for my note in my car. never seen a charging pad for a car before. not sure on the video as i have never seen it.

Upvote 0
i use a wireless car mount for my note in my car. never seen a charging pad for a car before. not sure on the video as i have never seen it.
I have a wireless qi charging pad in my 2016 Prius. It might have worked but the problem is I have a black console insert (the naked console is white and looks like a urinal ;)) which adds a raised edge around the pad and reduces the contact area.

Upvote 0
Store models generally have special demo software installed on them that is not part of the device's normal software. So I expect that they simply are not on your device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones