• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Precendent is a piece of junk!!

So, this was my first ever smart phone. Shame on me. This is in fact as far from a smart phone as there is. It is, in fact, a dumb phone. Shame on me for believing the video testimonial on youtube where the guy said it was a decent Samsung phone for it's price.

I unplug it from the charger, and within half an hour, the battery is down to 80%, and I that's without messing around with any apps or using the internet, AND, I have Super Battery Saver installed on the phone. The thing can't connect to the internet to save it's life. I've placed the thing on top of my brand new Netgear router, and at times, it will time out trying to connect to the internet. Had the phone for two months, and I've been able to use the internet less than five times, and in those five times, I just gave up because the loading was so slow it reminded me of dial up internet from 1992.

I have two apps installed on it, TWO! World of Warcraft Armory and a Crossword puzzle game. The memory is officially all used up and I can no longer receive text messages because there's no space for the phone to store them.

This phone, minus the sd card, got thrown out the window on the thruway, and I will be upgrading to anything but a Samsung. You know those DirecTv Genie commercials where you can record up to five shows at once, and they do that bit where the scheduling conflict screen from cable pops up, and they say, "That's more annoying than..."? They should cut to a scene of a Samsung Galaxy Precedent.

Hello Nateball.
I can see by this post and your last post a couple months ago that you have not had very good luck with it. <<perhaps an understatement eh?

Well, I'm sorry you had issues with your device but I can assure you that Samsung does make a quality phone. It may have been a fluke that your device had issues.

So, I guess the fact about what was wrong is moot now that the device is engrained in the roadway :D (I kinda smiled when I read that, sorry)

I hope you can reconsider Samsung as a choice among others, but that is up to you :)

Upvote 0
Ironically the Precedent is the first if three Android phones that actually work in my experience. Despite the three year old Android version and low tech device I have yet to encounter problems such as low battery life, crashing and phantom booting. Even Go Launcher won't slow it down! Also I enjoy not having a proximity sensor as the darn thing always kept the screen blank which wreaked havoc with automated systems.

I come home from an eight hour workday with at least 50% battery. Most of your troubles are likely with Sprint and possibly being new to Android not the phone.

Upvote 0
So, this was my first ever smart phone. Shame on me. This is in fact as far from a smart phone as there is. It is, in fact, a dumb phone. Shame on me for believing the video testimonial on youtube where the guy said it was a decent Samsung phone for it's price.

I unplug it from the charger, and within half an hour, the battery is down to 80%, and I that's without messing around with any apps or using the internet, AND, I have Super Battery Saver installed on the phone. The thing can't connect to the internet to save it's life. I've placed the thing on top of my brand new Netgear router, and at times, it will time out trying to connect to the internet. Had the phone for two months, and I've been able to use the internet less than five times, and in those five times, I just gave up because the loading was so slow it reminded me of dial up internet from 1992.

I have two apps installed on it, TWO! World of Warcraft Armory and a Crossword puzzle game. The memory is officially all used up and I can no longer receive text messages because there's no space for the phone to store them.

This phone, minus the sd card, got thrown out the window on the thruway, and I will be upgrading to anything but a Samsung. You know those DirecTv Genie commercials where you can record up to five shows at once, and they do that bit where the scheduling conflict screen from cable pops up, and they say, "That's more annoying than..."? They should cut to a scene of a Samsung Galaxy Precedent.

User error, please face palm self then refer to how to root n rom cm7.1 on androidarea51.com
Hit up the tech support chat.

Been using samsung since the blackjack

I root and rom other devices.

Samsungs are mostly brick proof
Easyest to mod
Esyest to repair cuz they use Phillips head screws
Best screens
Minimilist design
Touchwiz is the best carrier android I have seen. [Aokp or cm is better if u dont have an spen like me]
The list goes on.

Quit whining, find solutions, your life will be better and less stressful.

Good luck

P.s. if u want a good non samsung droid the go htc one.

If u want prepaid, get a used samsung gs2 off ebay for 200 unlocked and get net10 sim pack

I say sgs2 cuz its a world phone and has great specs

Also next time u have an issue with batterlife, try buying a battery for said device with more milliamps, which means longer life before chucki g a working device and having to pay more than the 30 bucks for an extended batt to replace it.

See what research gets you

Upvote 0
Ironically the Precedent is the first if three Android phones that actually work in my experience. Despite the three year old Android version and low tech device I have yet to encounter problems such as low battery life, crashing and phantom booting. Even Go Launcher won't slow it down! Also I enjoy not having a proximity sensor as the darn thing always kept the screen blank which wreaked havoc with automated systems.

I come home from an eight hour workday with at least 50% battery. Most of your troubles are likely with Sprint and possibly being new to Android not the phone.

Agrees, note 2 prox sensor sucks sometimes makes me miss the preci
Which ran fine for me for a long time
No extended battery
Rooted with cpu master running 800mhz screen on 400mhz all other states saving battery but no lag when using calls or pandora radio.

Upvote 0

Welllllll.... plenty of support needed by the OP, it appears. But no tips offered by the OP, thus the prefix change to "Support." ;)

The rule: if the OP is offering a tip, the prefix is "Tips." Complaining about a device is not offering a tip. If the OP is seeking a tip, the prefix is "Support," unless the OP is seeking a tip on what accessory to acquire, then the prefix is "Accessory."

And now back to your regular programming... :D

Upvote 0

So u wasted all this time complaining because u bought an ENTRY LEVEL smartphone ? Get a life and do some research on what u buy before u buy it, the Samsung precedent is actually not a bad phone for its capabilities, but its a begginers android phone, I still have mine from two yes ago, and continue to play and hack with it, I've never had an issue with WiFi, is it slow? Well considering it has single core 800ghz processor its pretty fast if u ask me, and the thing is a tank, u can flash the sh*t out of it and the thing keeps going, so before u badmouth Samsung, who by the way makes the best smartphones in the world, do a little research, if u want an amazingly fast phone don't be cheap, u have to spend a little more than $150

Upvote 0
Where did you buy it? I understand your frustration but you may have been able to return it. If you want a phone with much more storage for apps go with the Samsung Centura or Discover. They have more that 10 times the internal storage space compared to the Precedent, run Android 4.0.4 and are only $99 at Walmart. For $20 more you can't beat it. I have about 16 apps installed with 2.25GB internal memory left over. If you are a heavy app user you may want to look into how to move apps to an external SD card or save up and buy a phone with more internal memory.

If I didn't do a lot of research online I would be in the same predicament because I almost bought the Precedent. Before my Centura I actually bought two Blackberry curves and returned them both due to dust getting underneath the screen. Believe me I wanted to toss them out the window lol.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
The Precedent was my first Android. No space until I put Area51 into it. It was loaded with junk, even stuff I tried once, hated and forgot to uninstall.

Oh, the CPU crawled like a slug. The screen was so small I had to wear my glasses to use the phone, and data on Sprint? But for $150 (that's what they sold for then), I had very little complaint. It still works (Area51 3.2 on it now, I think, although I have CWM and all the zips, so it's 5 minutes to switch ROMs), but where I live now, there's this universe called "No Sprint signal to be found", so I had to go with a different carrier (and a larger, faster phone while I was at it).

But it's still sitting here with 3 charged batteries, and I can still play Solitaire on it. I'd sell it, but even with all the ROMS and apps I couldn't get enough to make it worth packing it up and bringing it to the Post Office.

Upvote 0
I found arearom 3.4 far more stable than CyanogenMod 7. The latter lagged like hell and threw endless app not responding dialogs.

I have the same issue and followed prepaidguy9081's directions. Only part that it would not allow me to do was the moving of the buildprop. phone won't work with the apps, each one gives an error message.
I want to know how to fix ASAP, please.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue and followed prepaidguy9081's directions. Only part that it would not allow me to do was the moving of the buildprop. phone won't work with the apps, each one gives an error message.
I want to know how to fix ASAP, please.

Responeded to you on androidarea51

You need to reflash.
Try re downloading the rom as well
May be an md5 check sum error.
Idk if checksum is listed

Is es file explorer you need to allow root directory access and write ability in the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones