• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5

Marko2923

Lurker
Sep 9, 2022
I'm considering getting a smartwatch to track my activity. I've heard the Apple watch is the best at this, however, I don't have an iPhone, so it won't be much use. Now I've looked at the Samsung Galaxy watch 5. Does anyone have an opinion on why I shouldn't get this watch? Just wondering on peoples thoughts

I'm considering getting a smartwatch to track my activity. I've heard the Apple watch is the best at this, however, I don't have an iPhone, so it won't be much use. Now I've looked at the Samsung Galaxy watch 5. Does anyone have an opinion on why I shouldn't get this watch? Just wondering on peoples thoughts
i have the galaxy watch 4 and i love it. actually i also have the watch 3 as well. i tend to wear the watch 3 when i go to work and wear the 4 when i'm going out. the watch 3 is pretty beat up and is perfect when i work as work tends to be very hazardous for watches.....lol

i have been eying the watch 5, but have not yet pull the trigger. i'm waiting to see how the 3 holds up for this year. plus i want to go into a store and play with it to see if i like it or not.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
One feature I DO like having (although in my current shape, I dread using it) is the body composition feature. By carefully touching the two buttons with certain fingers on my opposite hand, it will determine my complete body composition! It's pretty accurate when compared with the results I get with our bathroom scale. I'm sure they're working on an EKG function that doesn't require an accessory.

Upvote 0
Love my new Samsung Watch 5 but need to know how to sync Gmail with it.
You don't, at least not officially.

Your phone can forward Gmail notifications to the watch to be displayed there, but there isn't an official way to view your entire Gmail inbox from Wear OS. There are third-party mail applications you can install, but that would mean giving some other developer access to your email.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I don't think there's a Wear OS Fitbit app yet - but that may change once the long-expected Pixel Watch launches and brings with it Fitbit integration. It would be great if that Fitbit integration became available for other watches.

I suspect Google thinks it makes sense to peruse contacts and short text messages from a watch, but that an on-watch email experience would be difficult to optimize. You can use Menu > Help & feedback > Send feedback within the Gmail app on your phone to let the development team know you'd appreciate it if they would make their app available on Wear OS as well.

(It's not a conflict between Samsung and Google; there isn't a Gmail app for Wear OS available on other watches either.)

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I tend to agree that it is tough to have the full email experience on a phone, although I think (?) the Apple Watch does. At a minimum, is there a way to get a notification of a Gmail message on your watch that you could then read on your phone? Also, what about Google Calendar? Samsung calendar is available but not the Google version. Again, maybe at a minimum, an event or reminder notification.

Upvote 0
I tend to agree that it is tough to have the full email experience on a phone, although I think (?) the Apple Watch does. At a minimum, is there a way to get a notification of a Gmail message on your watch that you could then read on your phone? Also, what about Google Calendar? Samsung calendar is available but not the Google version. Again, maybe at a minimum, an event or reminder notification.
Enabling notifications in the Galaxy Wearable app for Gmail should get Gmail notifications delivered to your watch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones