• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Gear S3 Frontier stand alone

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I have a Gear S3 of three plus years of solid service. It is a stand alone model which means it will work beyond BT range. Last summer, with the increase of service cost, I dropped its cell coverage. It still works flawlessly as long as it is within BT range but if that connection is dropped it naturally seeks cell service. It's not a big deal but it continues to look for that unavailable cell service with a warning that it can't connect. If left undetected and ignored via the watch, it rapidly drains the watch battery. Is there a way in the stand alone model to tell it not to look for cell service when out of BT range? I've looked but haven't found a solution.

Aside from the time what do you use it for @olbriar?
Mostly I use the Gear to flag notifications. Just a glace at the watch and I know if I want to retrieve my phone from my pocket and answer a call / text or ignore. A year ago I was fitted with much needed hearing aids which allows me to stream tunes to the aids. I can pause that stream from the watch when someone address me without accessing the phone which is super handy.
Time, date, temperature, and number of steps taken is displayed on the watch face I am using presently. It's a handy tool that I would not be without.

Upvote 0
I'm supposed to get a Galaxy Watch 3 today.
It was my personal Christmas present. 45

I hope that santa comes through for ya. I can't say that Samsung has the best watch for it's the only one I've owned. I will say that mine has worked flawlessly for four years and still has great battery life. I've contemplated buying another while I can just for the possible future replacement of my current watch.

Upvote 0
I'm supposed to get a Galaxy Watch 3 today.
It was my personal Christmas present. 45
I'm seriously considering using my pre order credits from Samsung towards a Watch 3. I wanted to ask you how you like it after a month? It very much seems to be the logical upgrade for my gear and I have to use my credits or lose them. I can't think of anything else I want. I don't need a new watch but oh well.

Upvote 0
With my $200 Samsung credit I went ahead and ordered a Watch 3. My Gear is still running great but I really couldn't think of anything else to spend my money on. I am excited to play with the new and improved sensors the watch 3 has. The blood pressure, heart rate, ECK, and blood oxygen capabilities intrigue me. The reviews I've watch indicate that that the Watch 3 readings are surprisingly accurate. If it's just smart enough to know when I'm riding my mower that I'm not riding my bike. The Gear always says great ride or great run after every lawn I mow. :)

Upvote 0
With my $200 Samsung credit I went ahead and ordered a Watch 3. My Gear is still running great but I really couldn't think of anything else to spend my money on. I am excited to play with the new and improved sensors the watch 3 has. The blood pressure, heart rate, ECK, and blood oxygen capabilities intrigue me. The reviews I've watch indicate that that the Watch 3 readings are surprisingly accurate. If it's just smart enough to know when I'm riding my mower that I'm not riding my bike. The Gear always says great ride or great run after every lawn I mow. :)
NICE!!!!!!

which one did you go with? the 45mm or 41mm? leather or titanium?

Upvote 0
NICE!!!!!!

which one did you go with? the 45mm or 41mm? leather or titanium?

I went with the 45mm WiFi model. The titanium is out of my league. Besides, my work is brutal on accessories like a watch and my Gear is in great shape after four years of constant wear. My Gear is the 45mm model so I'm accustomed to the size and I want the larger battery it comes with. Mystic black... I'm also accustomed to that.
I'm a huge fan of quick release watch bands. I replaced the Gear band with a silicone quick release band SnuG brand. It is still in amazing shape and I had hoped to buy one for the Watch 3. Leather will never do for I sweat too much working in the sun across the summers. Amazon shows the item out of stock and no idea when it might return. They do show three girly bands and a black band with white specks. None are to my liking. I couldn't find a similar band on amazon. I might have to switch bands with the Gear. The SnuG quick release silicone band is the best watch band I've ever owned.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
well for me the leather band is great. the silicone band that came with the s3 as well as my s3 active gave my wrist rashes from time to time. but so far the leather one does not. since i work with water a lot, the silicone bands do not dry and thus irritated my skin. this leather band dries really quickly and thus no rashes so far.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I'll likely try the leather band it comes with. I like the looks okay I'm just nervous about it getting skunky. I guess I've been lucky in that the silicone band has never irritated me. There are a gazillion silicone buckle bands I might have to try. I'm just not a fan of the buckle. I have a Seiko dress watch that came with a metal quick release that spoiled me. I also hate the extra band beyond the buckle. It was always hanging up on my work. I'll figure it out. :) I retired from my daily carpenter job so it might not be a factor now.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Originally I was to receive the Watch 3 March 2. I received an email from Sammy today saying due to the weather? my watch is now scheduled to ship the 5th. I don't really buy the weather excuse but whatever. I'm in no hurry so another week to wait isn't a big deal. I'm anxious naturally but my Gear is perfectly functional.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
It didn't show up today. Shipping label created on Saturday and received by FedEx Monday. Actually, as of 7 PM, all that showed on FedEx was that they had received the item and I should have it today. I just checked and it has now left the the origin facility and I should have it Friday.
That could change at any minute. :)

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones